Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #40,098 of 42,299
Very nice mate what did it set you back I’m jealous :beerchug:
Too much. Lol. (Check woo's site)

Congrats! How long do you plan to run the stock tubes before really emptying the wallet?

Man its already empty, I went with the elite edition. But the amp sounds marvelous thus far. I'd probably run stock tubes for a year. Target next christmas for an upgrade, and then maybe every year or 2 check out other tubes options. I'll play it by ear based on available funds. But definitely wanna get up to some top teir tubes later this year.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #40,100 of 42,299
It's here.....

Congratulations. I'm very jelly.

You have to hand it to Woo they know how to make a beautiful looking amp. That is one of the most amazing amps I have seen.

Enjoy it.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #40,101 of 42,299
Awesome, I have always liked the sq from low gain better on both my amp & dac your right it just sounds a lot better..enjoy

I've been thinking about your post the past few days. I respect your opinion. You are in a handful of members here that I read carefully and respect what is posted.

I have been playing with the high and low setting on my WA22 and I agree with the differences between the two.

Obviously what I'm about to say depends on HP's and tubes used.
I think the settings need more discussion.
On low things open up. Treble gets more snap and dynamic.
On high things get a little bit relaxed.
I almost went for low setting on my amp as I liked the extra snap as well. However I found it brings vocals forward and to snappy for my taste. Almost SS sounding.
I ultimately asked myself what I want from this amp? I think owners should ask this question.
For me I want it to be mellow and relaxed. I have a very good SS amp that delivers similar results to the low setting so when I use tubes I want something different.
So I may be the odd one out here. At the moment I have settled for the high setting.

I suggest these setting get a bit more thought and trialing guys.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #40,102 of 42,299
I've been thinking about your post the past few days. I respect your opinion. You are in a handful of members here that I read carefully and respect what is posted.

I have been playing with the high and low setting on my WA22 and I agree with the differences between the two.

Obviously what I'm about to say depends on HP's and tubes used.
I think the settings need more discussion.
On low things open up. Treble gets more snap and dynamic.
On high things get a little bit relaxed.
I almost went for low setting on my amp as I liked the extra snap as well. However I found it brings vocals forward and to snappy for my taste. Almost SS sounding.
I ultimately asked myself what I want from this amp? I think owners should ask this question.
For me I want it to be mellow and relaxed. I have a very good SS amp that delivers similar results to the low setting so when I use tubes I want something different.
So I may be the odd one out here. At the moment I have settled for the high setting.

I suggest these setting get a bit more thought and trialing guys.

Thank you, yes with more thought I do agree your post is on target in which it's dependent on other factors like tubes or hp's, of the hp's I own the 560's do like more gain they just sound a lot better, You have obviously given much time on this which I appreciate. I guess maybe it's time to do my own comparisons I did in the past but it's been a number of years..Thanks again & enjoy

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #40,103 of 42,299
What's this... saw it on Woo's Facebook page

27628891_1240386369426765_603792083061323814_o.jpg

Feb 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #40,106 of 42,299
Two 300B's per channel. :anguished:

Feb 7, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #40,107 of 42,299
So this will be Woo's version of Hifiman 300B electrostatic amp.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #40,108 of 42,299
Anyone pair the Focal Clear with the WA5? How is the pairing sound? My local dealer is waiting to get his stock of Focal Clear's in. The review warned about pairing the Clear with a high impedance output tube amp - the WA5 is about middle pack on impedance.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #40,109 of 42,299
I have a WA5 le v2. This one has the selectable impedance. I have used the Elear and Utopia with it. I think both sound fantastic with the WA5. The Utopia with it is my favorite paring. On high output there is a little bit of background noise, but the Utopia or any of the other Focal's don't need the extra power.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #40,110 of 42,299
The CanJan NYC preview vid, this is the clip where he talks about Woo Audio including a little bit about their new electrostat amp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back