Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #40,081 of 42,298
I have a WA6 (not SE) and a Liquid Carbon and I like both amps. The balanced output on the LC makes a noticeable difference on some headphones, and a small difference on others - it's hard to predict without trying. I enjoy some planar magnetic headphones (e.g. Audeze LCD-2 and ZMF Omni) using the balanced output. On other headphones (e.g. Beyerdynamic T1 and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed) I prefer the single-ended output. YMMV, of course.
Thanks, I think I got your point, I really like the combination of both TH900 and HD800 with WA6se, but since I have the balance cable, I really want to try some good amp with balanced output.:grinning::grinning:
So curious about the difference between SE and Bal.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #40,082 of 42,298
Does anyone own the KR AUDIO 274b rectifier for the wa6 2nd gen and how does it compare to the Sophia 274b .
Thanks guys :)
Although I don't own KR 274B's I do own some KR variants of 300b's. I also own EML's. I like the KR sound marginally better than EML and definitely better than Sophia's. I sold off all of my Sophia's as I preferred the Czech tubes to my ears. On another note. 274b's are rectifiers. They do have an impact on sound but it is less than good driver and power tubes.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #40,083 of 42,298
Is there a disconnect on the pricing? A single price is $599. Times two is $1198 yet the article states a matched pair are $1299. Is WE going to charge $101 to match tubes?

That's entirely possible. Jack just made me pay $70 to simply test some tubes that I gave them when dropping off my amp so they could fix their own screwup from the last time they "fixed"
my WA2. That's right, they had my amp to fix their screw-up and then, after they had it, told me they were charging me 70 dollars to "give it a clean bill of health - after working on it - and checking 8 tubes. To top it all off, one of the tubes he pronounced "good," is actually noisy. My recommendation is to watch them very closely and stipulate everything in writing prior to sending them a dime or your equipment.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #40,084 of 42,298
I sent my WA6 to Woo to have the transformer checked out, and it cost me $70.00 which was fine with me. The thing that wasn't fine with me, was I sent it USPS fully insured for its declared value from Staten Island, NY to Queens, NY. Woo wanted to charge almost double to ship it back to me?

I was so disgusted knowing they get much better shipping rate due to the quantity they move, I wrote them and let them know about it.
In the end they charged me the same amount it cost me to ship it to them. Unbelievable!

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #40,085 of 42,298
I dropped mine off and picked it up - I don't want to know what he would have tried to charge for shipping. What bothered me wasn't the amount of money - but that he charged me at all. It was in because they screwed up the last time they had it. Yeah, they checked out my tubes - but I know how to operate a tube tester; it's not terribly labor intensive. Given that my amp has had to visit them three times since I paid them to do one thing to it, I am very unhappy to be charged anything, even for the tube testing. Oh - he told me if I paid cash, it would be 50, but when I picked up the amp, it was back to 70. He will never get another dime out of me.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #40,086 of 42,298
You would use the XLR preamp outputs on the WA33 to connect to your amp. But your integrated amp doesn't have XLR inputs so that won't work. You would have to get your WA33 modded by Woo or get a new amp.

The problem is, when I check the back of my WA33 there is no XLR preamp outputs... What I am afraid is, I request for custom speaker out, so they replace the XLR preamp with speaker out...

Have you called or emailed Woo Audio to ask?
Not Yet

Cardas makes XLR to RCA connectors. I use them all the time. You would use the XLR to RCA to convert the balanced output to an RCA output to feed your Azur. Don't do that speaker thing. It's not the way to go.

The problem is, when I check the back of my WA33 there is no XLR preamp outputs... What I am afraid is, I request for custom speaker out, so they replace the XLR preamp with speaker out...

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #40,087 of 42,298

Not Yet

That's a problem. Do you have any pre-outs on your WA33? Maybe Woo added some with the speaker out. Woo doesn't put pre-outs on the WA5 LE unless you special order them. I leaned that the hard way. I sold my WA5 before I could upgrade it.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #40,088 of 42,298
I dropped mine off and picked it up - I don't want to know what he would have tried to charge for shipping. What bothered me wasn't the amount of money - but that he charged me at all. It was in because they screwed up the last time they had it. Yeah, they checked out my tubes - but I know how to operate a tube tester; it's not terribly labor intensive. Given that my amp has had to visit them three times since I paid them to do one thing to it, I am very unhappy to be charged anything, even for the tube testing. Oh - he told me if I paid cash, it would be 50, but when I picked up the amp, it was back to 70. He will never get another dime out of me.

Reading stuff like this is very worrying, seeing that i just spent thousands of dollars on the WA33 EE (should be arriving this week)

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #40,089 of 42,298
I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet, just would like to share this.
Back in December when I purchased the wa6 I planned to run this amp with
My audeze lcd2 , assuming by reviews and opinions that these cans were pretty
Hard to drive .
So from day one I have had the wa6 on high gain and not even bothered to check
What the effects of low gain would be.
I always thought that there was something missing and the sound wasn’t fluid and
Seemed to have a graininess to the sound , my thought were that I was expecting a lot
Better .
Changing tubes and to no satisfaction day after day day after day until yesterday when I thought
Let me see what the low gain sounds like and what the *** is going on here the soundstage
Base dynamics just exploded into something that blew me away .
Can’t believe I have had it for over two months without even thinking about the gain switch .
Just thought I would share my experience WOW what an amp , now I know what the hype
Was about
I know have a good laugh :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #40,090 of 42,298
Awesome, I have always liked the sq from low gain better on both my amp & dac your right it just sounds a lot better..enjoy

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #40,091 of 42,298
That's a problem. Do you have any pre-outs on your WA33? Maybe Woo added some with the speaker out. Woo doesn't put pre-outs on the WA5 LE unless you special order them. I leaned that the hard way. I sold my WA5 before I could upgrade it.

Nothing pre-outs, only speaker out....

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #40,093 of 42,298
Hi everyone,

I just bought a WA5 v2, simply awesome!!
just got a pair of sophia royal princess 300bs and a pair of sophia 274b mesh as an upgrade - highly recommended. sounds tubey/spacious but with lots of details/extension, tight base wish i could describe the sound better but I'm not an expert with audiophile terms . they are a bit pricey but i wanted to get one of the best upgrade tubes rather than keep rolling, at least for now.

however this purchase means that my beloved WA22 (black) has to go. its in a perfect condition, all stock tubes with woo suggested upgrade tubes (sophia 274b and a pair of 7236). all tubes have barely 500 hours on them.
I live in Dubai, UAE but I'm willing to ship internationally, please PM me if of interest to discuss price/shipping/photos or videos and any other questions you might be having :)

Saleh
Saleh I would like to trade it with LCD3F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back