Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 8, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #35,536 of 42,298
True Audiophile is now an ex Elrog distributor, Elrog "fired" them because they fought to get the tube fixed and replaced.  Ridiculous if you ask me, Elrog part of the deal was to honor their warranty and they are refusing to respond in a timely manner.  I finally received my replacement after 4 months of waiting, I hope they really fix the problem.  Please keep us in the loop on your RMA request effort.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #35,537 of 42,298
I hope Elrog realise that playing such games gets wide coverage amongst potential customers.

They might be able to bully distributors, but customers will read this sort of thing and vote with their wallets.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #35,538 of 42,298
Scanned through the thread posts from Audiogon, Elrog still maintained that our amps operate at "wrong points" for the tubes (high B+, AC not DC filament,wrong cathode resistor values, blah blah blah).  With the perception that nothing's wrong with their tubes, don't know if the problem got fixed...

Good that you got T.A. on your back to get a replacement (TubeUSA is now their US distributor).  It's me against them now, so may be I'll end up with a $1200 dud...(may run one ER and one Tak? haha)        

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #35,539 of 42,298
Well wish you all the best with that. I can't believe the Australian Importer who was all nice and friendly until its come time to rectify this and I can understand that the manufacturers sen too be very difficult but communicate guys really, Its not just us, they are having issues with all sorts of amps. The suggestion that its one particular brand thats causing all the issues is a bit much. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #35,540 of 42,298
  I hope Elrog realise that playing such games gets wide coverage amongst potential customers.

They might be able to bully distributors, but customers will read this sort of thing and vote with their wallets.

yes it's very true and all this is holding me back and i consider myself a potential customer.  i even tried to find and found a distributor here in hong kong before

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #35,541 of 42,298
I think that many of us will never buy Elrogs based upon this. They can claim that people are not using them the right way, but the right way for any tube is to stick it into a tube amp that is designed for that tube specification.... I have a hard time believing that any reputed 300B amp would operate tubes that expensive the wrong way, at least stock.

The Elrog story was interesting for a time. No doubt they do sound amazing, no matter how long they last. Thankfully we've had several here run the Takatsukis against the Elrogs and report that they hold up well. I really am grateful both for being too poor to invest in Elrogs early, and for the people who did test them :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #35,542 of 42,298
  Well, after close to 1000 hrs, one of my Elrog 300Bs gave out.

Anyone got any luck dealing with Elrog directly on this issue?  Hopeless cause, but I will try.  Moving to Takatsuki camp!  

The Elrog tubes have 6 months warranty. One of my tubes failed just short of the 6 months and contacted True Audiophile. They direct me to contact Elrog directly and ship the tubes to Germany with tracking number and keep them posted. They have a contact in Germany that has helped putting pressure on Elrog to make warranties good. I communicated directly with Matthias at Elrog and got my replacement tubes shipped within a few days. They clam the root cause of the failures are corrected in production so these new tubes are good.

In the meantime I went in a different direction and will sell these new tubes at a discounted price that's why I have not even open the box as received back from Elrog.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 8, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #35,544 of 42,298
Does Elrog list the specs of there tube Like
Max Plate voltage
Max Plate current

Found this:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.audionote.com.au/Audio_Note_Australia/Elrog_-_Vacuum_Tubes_files/ER300B_Datasheet.pdf&sa=U&ved=0CA4QFjABahUKEwjSrY3qybPIAhVFKYgKHXlKAjk&sig2=3bxllZ9o94xuJWDhh6Je9Q&usg=AFQjCNH2jgjgKr_9Dp7qyWUFRcVKFLb_Vw

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #35,545 of 42,298
Does anyone know Woo Audios amplifier warranty period from original purchase date?
I can't seem to find their warranty period on their FAQ…it only states information about returns/exchanges, but I don't see anything about a warranty, am I missing something?

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #35,546 of 42,298

Does Elrog list the specs of there tube Like
Max Plate voltage
Max Plate current

Yes, let me dig around for you I have them here somewhere 

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #35,547 of 42,298
Lets see here, its actually in a pdf Glenn so if you PM with your email I can send it to you.

But the short version is 

The thoriated tungsten filament
The filament of the ER300B has been designed such that it is compatible to the original 300B specification.
In order to be able to use thoriated tungsten, some parameters needed to be deviated from the 300B specs. These are plate resistance and amplification factor. Plate resistance is slightly taller. While the 300B specifies 700 Ohms, the ER300B plate resistance is 950 Ohms. The amplification factor has been reduced to 3.3 from the 3.8 of the 300B specification. Since transconductance is directly related to these two parameters the ER300B has a transconductance of 3300 micromhos.
This compromise was necessary to keep the original 5V @1.2A specification.
Compatibility with other 300B types
The ER300B is compatible for use in any properly designed 300B amplifier which operates the tube within the allowed limits. It can be used in Single Ended, Parallel Single Ended and Push-Pull amplifiers.

Some amplifiers are designed for ‘uprated’ 300B type tubes, which run at higher maximum plate dissipation than standard 300B tubes. The ER300B is not recommended for use in such amplifiers. If in doubt please refer to the technical specifications of your amplifier or consult the manufacturer of your amplifier.
The ER300B is slightly higher than other 300B types. If your amplifier has little clearance above the tubes, the ER300B might not fit. Please refer to the datasheet for exact physical dimensions.
The use of the ER300B in a typical 300B type amplifier will result in slightly reduced gain and in about 25% less output power. The actual numbers will depend on the amplifier. While this might appear as a disadvantage the impact in real life is minor. Due to the logarithmic behavior of the human hearing, the reduced output power is negligible. The loss in gain can be compensated by increasing the volume slightly on the volume control of the amplifier or preamplifier. Typically a 2dB increase will result in the same output level as with other 300B tubes.
We think the superior sound quality of the ER300B is well worth this compromise.
Optimal use of the ER300B
To achieve optimum sound results we recommend the use of DC filament voltage. Due to the different thermal properties of thoriated tungsten, AC filament voltage can result in higher residual hum at the amplifier output. This can be evident with highly efficient speakers.
Due to the higher plate resistance of the ER300B we recommend to load the tube with 3.5k or more. The ER300B will work with lower plate loads but this might result in a decreased damping factor. The impact of this on sound quality will depend on the output transformer and speakers used.
As can be seen in the datasheet, the ER300B is capable of much higher plate voltage than other 300B tubes. If an amplifier is specifically designed for the ER300B it is possible to take advantage of this higher plate voltage capability and to achieve higher power output compared to the use in typical 300B amplifiers. Please refer to the datasheet for suggested operating points.
Life time
The life time of a tube depends on the operating conditions. Important factors for a long lifetime are filament voltage and plate dissipation. The filament voltage should be kept as close to the nominal value of 5V as possible.
When used at nominal filament voltage and well below maximum plate dissipation the tube can last many years.

To prevent physical damage of the filaments avoid frequent on/off cycling of the amplifier. Don’t remove the tubes from the amplifier when they are still hot. Allow 15 minutes of cooling before changing tubes. Avoid excessive mechanical shocks when handling the tubes. 

tongue_smile.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #35,548 of 42,298
Holysh**, the Taks do sound incredible!  

Brighter than the ER300B.  Bass is more prominent; extension is clear and deep.  Treble is more forward.  Mid is not as syrupy as the ER, but just a tag bit.  Just start burning the tubes; expect to improve when fully burnt-in     

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #35,549 of 42,298
  Holysh**, the Taks do sound incredible!  

Brighter than the ER300B.  Bass is more prominent; extension is clear and deep.  Treble is more forward.  Mid is not as syrupy as the ER, but just a tag bit.  Just start burning the tubes; expect to improve when fully burnt-in     

They are superb tubes. Expect a bumpy ride until they fully settle.

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #35,550 of 42,298
RK60 maybe                                                                                                                                                                                        

Yes for price great. Near very near 596.
5r4 brimars are great. After these it's big bucks 200-500 a tube. We422 GEC u52 cossor gz37 fat bottle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back