Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 28, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #35,386 of 42,298
Can't really think of any other all-tube 300B headphone amps at the WA5 price point aside from Eddie Current offerings. If you're willing to go with a purely speaker amp and build a Robinette box your options increase. And of course there are hobbyist amp builders out there. But let's be realistic. If you're buying a 300B amp you are also realistically committing to buying a couple thousand in tubes to make the most of your purchase... or you would have been better off with an amp that uses cheaper tubes. Throw in the cost of TOTL headphones and a thousand bucks in either direction starts to look like chump change.

Here's my problem, well, one of them, with the WA5: It's a component surrounded by what looks like superb build quality, yet the attention to detail is lacking. For example, the transformers are simply covered by aluminum extrusions; they are not potted. Why not? Why are the transformers not potted? It's not as if it's terribly difficult to do. This seems to be a part of their business model - build a product that looks great and then use it as a substrate for upgrades that can cost more than the amp, itself. Why not offer an amplifier that can stand on its own? The WA6 certainly can't. In semi-stock form it doesn't sound any better than a DV336SE, in some ways worse at 3X the price. I have them sitting next to each other. Dump another ~$150 into the WA6 and it becomes more competitive. Introduce a Feliks Elise and the game is over, but I digress. I have no doubt that the WA5 sounds significantly better than my WA6. It better....

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #35,387 of 42,298
Here's my problem, well, one of them, with the WA5: It's a component surrounded by what looks like superb build quality, yet the attention to detail is lacking. For example, the transformers are simply covered by aluminum extrusions; they are not potted. Why not? Why are the transformers not potted? It's not as if it's terribly difficult to do. This seems to be a part of their business model - build a product that looks great and then use it as a substrate for upgrades that can cost more than the amp, itself. Why not offer an amplifier that can stand on its own? The WA6 certainly can't. In semi-stock form it doesn't sound any better than a DV336SE, in some ways worse at 3X the price. I have them sitting next to each other. Dump another ~$150 into the WA6 and it becomes more competitive. Introduce a Feliks Elise and the game is over, but I digress. I have no doubt that the WA5 sounds significantly better than my WA6. It better....

I've often thought that about my WA22. How do we know what the transformer is like? We have covers over the top to make them look nice.

Other brands have the transformer proudly on display. For all we know they could be real cheap. I have no idea.

I have spoken to a WA234 owner who was not impressed when he took a look inside his WA234. He said his transformers were dented and scratched badly. Certainly not top workmanship. The answer from Woo was to design the WA234 case so it could not be opened.
rolleyes.gif

I have no idea what a potted transformer is? Is it important?

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #35,388 of 42,298
I have spoken to a WA234 owner who was not impressed when he took a look inside his WA234. He said his transformers were dented and scratched badly. Certainly not top workmanship. The answer from Woo was to design the WA234 case so it could not be opened.
rolleyes.gif

I like to see some real photos of WA234's internal.  Please consider sharing.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #35,390 of 42,298

I've often thought that about my WA22. How do we know what the transformer is like? We have covers over the top to make them look nice.

Other brands have the transformer proudly on display. For all we know they could be real cheap. I have no idea.

rolleyes.gif

I have no idea what a potted transformer is? Is it important?

Potted is filled with epoxy or epoxy sand mixture it damps vibrations. Don't know if it helps the sound probably not

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #35,391 of 42,298
Potted is filled with epoxy or epoxy sand mixture it damps vibrations. Don't know if it helps the sound probably not

I would argue that the vibration of the transformer is often translated into its (audible) harmonics, sometimes heard as a light hum, which potting often eliminates or reduces to an inaudible level. On a micro level, as we're talking about a reference-grade component with assumingly superior resolution of low-level detail, that same harmonic noise can reduce its audibility, or at the very least its definition.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #35,393 of 42,298
I believe Woo make their own transformers, power and output.  There was a link about Woo workshop which showed the winding and lamination treaments (I don't have the link at hand).  

Have built a few amps myself, I do appreciate what Woo is trying to do in an amp like the WA234.  It's freaking cool idea: plate/cathode coupled for three types of tubes that require three different operation points.  But it's expensive beyond my means, so I wouldn't buy it.  

I don't get it why are people complaining about the price?  Don't buy it if it's "expensive" to you.  No need for brand bashing.    

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #35,394 of 42,298

I don't get it why are people complaining about the price?  Don't buy it if it's "expensive" to you.  No need for brand bashing.    

Actually price was only one objection. Build quality issues and design were the others. When there are issues I think it is worth discussing.
wink_face.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #35,395 of 42,298
  I believe Woo make their own transformers, power and output.  There was a link about Woo workshop which showed the winding and lamination treaments (I don't have the link at hand).  

Have built a few amps myself, I do appreciate what Woo is trying to do in an amp like the WA234.  It's freaking cool idea: plate/cathode coupled for three types of tubes that require three different operation points.  But it's expensive beyond my means, so I wouldn't buy it.  

I know we are all entitle to our option. Quite Frankly I agree it is nice to know that Woo designs and wind there own transformers from scratch. It brings it own character to the hobby, bottom line it sounds fantastic and if the wheel is not broken why fix it!

Enjoy music!

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #35,396 of 42,298
With all due respect... anyone who's actually taken the back cover off a Woo amp and looked at how carefully and beautifully the wiring is done would never complain about build quality. (Or just Google the pictures.) I can't believe this conversation is even being had. Got opinions about SQ? Sure, shoot. But build quality is a factual matter.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #35,397 of 42,298
  With all due respect... anyone who's actually taken the back cover off a Woo amp and looked at how carefully and beautifully the wiring is done would never complain about build quality. (Or just Google the pictures.) I can't believe this conversation is even being had. Got opinions about SQ? Sure, shoot. But build quality is a factual matter.

Absolutely on the money. As a Electrical Engineer my training has allow me to appreciate the craftsmen of Woo product. Fine job.

Enjoy music! 

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #35,398 of 42,298

Okay. I take up the challenge. I will shoot over sound quality.

How come when I stick in a 6080 tube into a 6080 socket on the WA22 it sounds like a crappy old radio with massive amounts of noise then? To my ears that is not good sound quality.

But I already know the answer to that. Crappy build quality. About a year ago Woo changed something in the WA22 that effected a lot of us with bad 6080 circuits. The answer. Keep quiet and do nothing about it. So actually build quality is relevant as it effects the sound quality.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #35,399 of 42,298
 anyone who's actually taken the back cover off a Woo amp and looked at how carefully and beautifully the wiring is done would never complain about build quality

That's point to point art work and that's in a $750 amp which sounds as good as a WA2.  

Internal pic of Wa2 taken from the web.  I do think Woo makes great products but I think the point people are trying to make is when you're paying $10k or even $5k for an amp, you're expecting top-notch finish and parts and not just on the outside.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back