Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 29, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #35,416 of 42,299
So far I've stuck with stock-fit tubes. My other amps run 6SN7 drivers and I'd rather play with something different.

In essence, the only tube that has not introduced a buzzing sound is a RCA 6EW7 fat bottle. I have all other varieties of stock-fit tubes, some from different manufacturers. Mostly, Sylvania and GE. I also have 4 pairs that I inherited with the amp: TS, GE, and a Pinnacle. All buzz. FWIW, I have a GZ34, a Brimar, a JAN 1641, and a bunch of other rectifiers. Still, only one pair of bottles is silent. I'm not thrilled.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the noisy tubes, or amp with these tubes.
The only power/driver tubes that buzz in my WA6 are the NU-6F8G's (which I thought I fixed with Deoxit) otherwise all of my other tubes are dead silent. [size=x-small]Right now I'm unfortunately in the process of eliminating either bad power/driver tubes or the rectifier tube in my WA6. I'm getting heavy static/failure in the left driver of my HP's, and I've already eliminated the HP's by switching them and still had the issue. Then I switched the power/driver tubes and still had the issue[/size]…[size=x-small]now I just changed the rectifier, so I'll see what happens…I hope its not the amp, but I do believe it is my UE-596 that is bad. [/size]
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #35,417 of 42,299
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up here lately, but I'd definitely like to know which tubes have given you problems with your WA6? I've had my WA6 for a couple of years now, and have been lucky enough to have found a good tube combo using Sophia Electric 6SN7's and a USAF 596 rectifier.

No noisy tubes ever in my wa6. Had a few 6f8g/6c8g will buzz but cleaning them fixed it.
With wa22 no noisy tubes and I've tried LOTS. A pair 5998s I returned for microphonics.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #35,421 of 42,299
No noisy tubes ever in my wa6. Had a few 6f8g/6c8g will buzz but cleaning them fixed it.
With wa22 no noisy tubes and I've tried LOTS. A pair 5998s I returned for microphonics.

I wish we could switch. Then I could use Mullard 6080's. My favorite power tube for the WA22.

As it stands it is stuffed in mine.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #35,423 of 42,299
  Sorry to hear about the noise issues…I like the 6F8G but I don't think I would buy another pair because of the noise, so I know how you feel.

It's not the 6F8G. I tested that.

When I got a noisy tube. I switched the rectifier to a Mullard GZ32 and drivers to the RCA 6SN7 Greyglass. Noise stayed.
Switch the power tubes out and the noise went. So it is a power tube circuit problem.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #35,427 of 42,299
I see the upgraded WA5 on the woo website.  Are the rest of the amps being upgraded too including the WA22? Also, with the latest WA22 available, is there still a major difference in sound between balanced and RCA inputs?

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #35,429 of 42,299
I see the upgraded WA5 on the woo website.  Are the rest of the amps being upgraded too including the WA22? Also, with the latest WA22 available, is there still a major difference in sound between balanced and RCA inputs?

Don't hear a major difference just minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back