Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 27, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #35,371 of 42,298
Good evening
Instant impression.
Mullard 6080 is dull and very neutral compared to the GEC 6as7g
I can't believe the difference. Well worth the extra money.
Don't get me wrong for the money the mullard are good. Just the GECs are in a different league.
But that's my ears. Maybe for different genre of music but jazz GEC wins.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #35,373 of 42,298
Good evening
Instant impression.
Mullard 6080 is dull and very neutral compared to the GEC 6as7g
I can't believe the difference. Well worth the extra money.
Don't get me wrong for the money the mullard are good. Just the GECs are in a different league.
But that's my ears. Maybe for different genre of music but jazz GEC wins.

Mullard 6080 is for sure dull compared to my  Sylvania 7236 

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #35,374 of 42,298
Mullard 6080 is for sure dull compared to my  Sylvania 7236 

Yeah. Maybe so.
I was very unimpressed unfortunately.
No low end. Rolled off highs. Kinda slow.
GEC 6as7gs blazing fast lows back in there and crisp highs but not harsh. Perfect mids
The mullards were quiet tho Badas

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #35,377 of 42,298
Yeah. Maybe so.
I was very unimpressed unfortunately.
No low end. Rolled off highs. Kinda slow.
GEC 6as7gs blazing fast lows back in there and crisp highs but not harsh. Perfect mids
The mullards were quiet tho @Badas

We must hear very differently. I had the same reaction as you on the GEC's.

I couldn't take them out fast enough.

The GEC's were fast and too bright.

For Jazz / Blues I like it more laid back and the Mullards won.

Just shows ya how different we all are. No one is right or wrong. Just different.

Thanks for reporting about the noise level on the WA22. It is very obvious that I was sold a dud amp. I have contacted Woo for comment. Hopefully they have a fix.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #35,378 of 42,298
  Okay I understand your point, but analyzing the true value of the original WA5/LE they were given away. When compared to other so call high end manufactures they would have sold them for two maybe three times the price.

Where could or can you have been able to get the built quality at these prices.  They are custom built like a tank with the finest selection of materials and point to point wiring to explicit detail. So again when I say value with features which ultimately turn/relate to benefits and merely knowing that us consumer such as myself of the product have been given a fantastic 300b amp relatively a give away at Woo's expense!

Enjoy music!

I can think of several choices at this price point. There are also some "garage" amp builders that do a fine job and can deliver something quite special, and tailored to your desires (within reason), for similar money.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #35,379 of 42,298

Just shows ya how different we all are. No one is right or wrong. Just different.

Thanks for reporting about the noise level on the WA22. It is very obvious that I was sold a dud amp. I have contacted Woo for comment. Hopefully they have a fix.

I'm sure we do but I thought you had the 6080 GECs?

I'm talking about the 6AS7G GECs

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #35,380 of 42,298
Can't really think of any other all-tube 300B headphone amps at the WA5 price point aside from Eddie Current offerings. If you're willing to go with a purely speaker amp and build a Robinette box your options increase. And of course there are hobbyist amp builders out there. But let's be realistic. If you're buying a 300B amp you are also realistically committing to buying a couple thousand in tubes to make the most of your purchase... or you would have been better off with an amp that uses cheaper tubes. Throw in the cost of TOTL headphones and a thousand bucks in either direction starts to look like chump change.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #35,381 of 42,298
I'm sure we do but I thought you had the 6080 GECs?

I'm talking about the 6AS7G GECs

They are suppose to sound very very similar to each other (GEC 6080 and 6AS7G).

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #35,383 of 42,298
If you didn't like them then I can't imagine they do. But I have a set coming and I'll tell you my thoughts.

Cool.

Can you hold onto those Mullards for a bit. I'm talking to Woo at the moment about my crappy power tube circuit. I may buy these Mullards of you to test in my amp if needed. For testing purposes.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #35,385 of 42,298

I think the 6080 are polite sounding in general in the wa22 but the mullards are the most euphonic of them - warmer but still at a good walk.  The GEC  6as7 give a faster pace though warm but transparent mids - that is dynamic - and a wider sound stage.  I like both but wish there was a GEC 5998/421.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back