Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #33,062 of 42,298
  I just checked about 7 tube distributors, and no one has the NU's, but I did find some RCA and Sylvania's, but would like to hear the NU from the comment on H-F.

The Sylvania 6F8G is suppose to be very average sounding. The RCA's are very nice.

I have tried two versions of RCA 6F8G (round and flat plate) and the NU 6F8G.
Tony has the Sylvania, RCA (round), Tung-Sol (round) and NU 6F8G.

This is how I ranked the drive tubes in a conversation with Tony (worst first to best). Might be a good point of reference. Tony and my taste tend to lean a bit towards warm. Not neutral. So be warned.

Sylvania 6SN7 GTA or B. Dog crap. Give up on tubes. Slit your wrists type of tube.
RCA 6SN7 Greyglass or Clear. Now we are talking. Very obvious treble roll tho.
RCA 6F8G round plate close together. Now we are talking without treble roll.
TS or RCA 6F8G flat plate the same as RCA 6SN7 plates. Another stage up. Great all rounder. Treats everything with respect. Very neutral.
TS 6F8G round plate. ???? (I haven't tried. Tony has)
NU 6F8G round plates with a big gap. Sell ya soul to the devil tube. Everything treated sweetly with a massive soundstage.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #33,063 of 42,298
Hey guys need some imput regarding the WA22 already have WA2 and WA6  what is interesting in the WA22 is running 6AS7, 6SN7 and  a Rectifier. it seems from what i read that theres not that much of a difference between WA2 and WA22 . and what would that amp be worth its 4 years old (2011)and with no tubes amp alone . Thanks 

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #33,064 of 42,298
Yes, or the 596.
The seller contacted me and can't split the 4 pairs…but the seller is Tubemaze and they have 6 pairs for sale on eBay,which I didn't see, so I'm going to buy a pair.

Have you heard the Brimar yet…or the 6F8G?
Joseph, I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to listen to either the Brimar Rec or the NU 6F8G's. I've been consumed with my ever so 6 and a half months pregnant girlfriend. Her parents stopped by my house for a visit, read inspection, yesterday. The gf pointed out my hp rig and for some reason mentioned the list price of my RS1's. Now her parents not only think I'm nuts for having a kid with their daughter, but I'm obviously frivolous with money as well. Honestly I'd like to hear your impressions of the 6F8G's and the Brimar compared to your 596/6SN7 combo.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #33,065 of 42,298
  Sylvania 6SN7 GTA or B. Dog crap. Give up on tubes. Slit your wrists type of tube.

I have some NOS/NIB Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's which I find sound very good which my WA6.
I also have the Sylvania 6SN7 "Bad Boys which I also like…and some NOS/NIB RCA Red Base 5692's.
Anyway, I just ordered a pair of these from Tubemaze to check out.
Now I need to place an order from Glenn for the adapters.
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #33,066 of 42,298
  I have some NOS/NIB Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's which I find sound very good which my WA6.
I also have the Sylvania 6SN7 "Bad Boys which I also like…and some NOS/NIB RCA Red Base 5692's.
Anyway, I just ordered a pair of these from Tubemaze to check out.
Now I need to place an order from Glenn for the adapters.
smile.gif

Yeah. I knew I might get a bit of stick for that. Rightly so.

My taste leans towards warm even dark. I even listen darker than Tony. Hence my LCD3c's. The Sylvania tube I would classify as a detail tube. Lots of treble detail. Those tubes tend to be too bright for my ears. I can't handle for long. Hence my comments. Remember the conversation started as a chat with Tony. So take it as a grain of salt. I know there are fans of that tube. The Sylvania Bad Boys I have not tried. RCA red base 5692 is a nice tube and more towards my taste.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #33,067 of 42,298

Yeah. I knew I might get a bit of stick for that. Rightly so.

My taste leans towards warm even dark. I even listen darker than Tony. Hence my LCD3c's. The Sylvania tube I would classify as a detail tube. Lots of treble detail. Those tubes tend to be too bright for my ears. I can't handle for long. Hence my comments. Remember the conversation started as a chat with Tony. So take it as a grain of salt. I know there are fans of that tube. The Sylvania Bad Boys I have not tried. RCA red base 5692 is a nice tube and more towards my taste.
wink.gif

No stick at all, everyone hears/likes differently, and I'm a detail freak! 
smile.gif

Are the 6F8G's a dark sounding tube???
I'll be using them with the UE-596/Brimar 5Z4G.
Thanks.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #33,068 of 42,298
Anyway, I just ordered a pair of these from [COLOR=FF0000]Tubemaze[/COLOR] to check out.
Now I need to place an order from Glenn for the adapters. :smile:  
Which adapter would you be looking for, a 6F8G to 6SN7? Cause I saw a couple on eBay. Did you see the Tung Sol 6F8G's from 1942 on eBay? They're kinda pricey. Is it rarity or quality that makes these NOS/NIB tubes so spendy?

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #33,069 of 42,298

Have you heard the Brimar yet…or the 6F8G?

Not using your amp. However that is what I'm running now. Brimar 5Z4GY, NU 6F8G's plus neutral power tubes 6080. The sound is lovely. Best sound from this amp yet. The NU's just treat treble so nicely. I was really surprised at the soundstage. It left me floored. I use LCD3's which are really not known for soundstage. Even has a bad reputation for it. Boy did they open up to standards I did not think possible.
  Hey guys need some imput regarding the WA22 already have WA2 and WA6  what is interesting in the WA22 is running 6AS7, 6SN7 and  a Rectifier. it seems from what i read that theres not that much of a difference between WA2 and WA22 . and what would that amp be worth its 4 years old (2011)and with no tubes amp alone . Thanks 

I listened to the stock WA2 and WA22 near the same time. I could hear a difference. To me it was the power difference. Depending on the headphones the WA22's power might not be required. However on my LCD3's the WA22 had more body and did everything with ease. Obviously with the tubes I have rolled now the WA22 sounds way different to stock.

I couldn't put a price on the 4 year old WA22. Not in your market.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #33,070 of 42,298
  No stick at all, everyone hears/likes differently, and I'm a detail freak! 
smile.gif

Are the 6F8G's a dark sounding tube???
I'll be using them with the UE-596/Brimar 5Z4G.
Thanks.

No they are not. That RCA 5692 or any of the RCA 6SN7's are dark.
All the 6F8G's let all detail through. They sound more open than the 6SN7 types. Almost like they breathe (I hope you know what I mean).

Those rectifiers will be a killer combo. 5Z4GY and NU6F8G's are end game for me. I've stocked up and I am done.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #33,071 of 42,298
Which adapter would you be looking for, a 6F8G to 6SN7? Cause I saw a couple on eBay. Did you see the Tung Sol 6F8G's from 1942 on eBay? They're kinda pricey. Is it rarity or quality that makes these NOS/NIB tubes so spendy?

These did the job well and are well made. It is what Tony and myself are using now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-gold-plated-6F8G-6C8G-TO-6SN7-6SL7-tube-adapter-/200905127802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec6e0f77a

I think the Glenn adapters are better tho. Glenn is making some for Tony and myself right now.

Don't look at the TS 6F8G RP's (round plate) as expensive. They are cheap. Just look up the TS 6SN7 RP price and you will realize. They can be $800 +. The TS 6F8G RP is basically the same tube.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #33,072 of 42,298

The adapters you see on Bay are the adapters I would need, but I'm not interested in them because I know Glenn makes some very nice adapters, so I'm going to get them from him. I have his 596 adapter and I have Woo's 595 adapter also, and Glenn's is a much better fit. I tried the Woo adapter one time then put it back in the box incase of an emergency. I did see the TS's, but being I've never heard any 6F8G's, I'm going to go with what I'm reading on the forums from @TonyNewman and @Badas…I guess the NU's are the cream of the crop? The NU's are also from 1942.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #33,073 of 42,298

No they are not. That RCA 5692 or any of the RCA 6SN7's are dark.
All the 6F8G's let all detail through. They sound more open than the 6SN7 types. Almost like they breathe (I hope you know what I mean).

Those rectifiers will be a killer combo. 5Z4GY and NU6F8G's are end game for me. I've stocked up and I am done.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it…can't wait too hear this combo!
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #33,074 of 42,298
  …I guess the NU's are the cream of the crop? The NU's are also from 1942.

It's a toss up between the 6F8G TS RP and NUs for me. It comes down to personal preference, I think. Both are superb, but the NU adds more to the sound with a sweetness that does great things, particularly for vocals. If you prefer a more neutral presentation, or you already have plenty added to the sound from other tubes in the mix, then the TS RP might be a better choice.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #33,075 of 42,298
  It's a toss up between the 6F8G TS RP and NUs for me. It comes down to personal preference, I think. Both are superb, but the NU adds more to the sound with a sweetness that does great things, particularly for vocals. If you prefer a more neutral presentation, or you already have plenty added to the sound from other tubes in the mix, then the TS RP might be a better choice.

Sounds like I would prefer the NU for the sweet vocals.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back