Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #33,076 of 42,298

It's a toss up between the 6F8G TS RP and NUs for me. It comes down to personal preference, I think. Both are superb, but the NU adds more to the sound with a sweetness that does great things, particularly for vocals. If you prefer a more neutral presentation, or you already have plenty added to the sound from other tubes in the mix, then the TS RP might be a better choice.

Thanks for chiming in Tony. Glad the NU's worked out fine.

Mine should be here any day now and are likely from the same batch. So all should be good.

Have you tried the Sylvania 6F8G yet? I wonder how that stacks up?

From what I have listened to there seems to be two different levels and the TS and NU are at the top. The two RCA variants are nice (nicer than the 6SN7's) however not in the same game.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #33,077 of 42,298
By the way, on the note of adapters... If anyone is going to ask Glenn to make some adapters for the WA6, we might as well get him to make several pairs at the same time. Especially if he will make a few pairs of 6DE7 -> 6F8G adapters, which will save us all a set of adapters. Otherwise, we need 6DE7 -> 6SN7 -> 6F8G, which is 2 sets of adapters. That would be most beneficial, to just have 1 set. So Joseph, let me know if you're interested in the same thing. It would save Glenn some effort and time if he just had to make these things once. I would be willing to bet too, that he could make 10 pairs, and sell them all within a month, if people in this thread knew about it.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #33,078 of 42,298

Thanks for chiming in Tony. Glad the NU's worked out fine.

Mine should be here any day now and are likely from the same batch. So all should be good.

Have you tried the Sylvania 6F8G yet? I wonder how that stacks up?

From what I have listened to there seems to be two different levels and the TS and NU are at the top. The two RCA variants are nice (nicer than the 6SN7's) however not in the same game.

Any tube that shares the same internals as the 6SN7 Sylvania goes to the bottom of my 'to try' list
wink_face.gif

I have a bunch of nice 6F8Gs to try and burn in - unlikely I will ever torture myself by plugging a Sylvania into any amp ever again - unless I want to hurt myself. I know some folks like these tubes - I just don't. YMMV.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #33,079 of 42,298

Any tube that shares the same internals as the 6SN7 Sylvania goes to the bottom of my 'to try' list
wink_face.gif

I have a bunch of nice 6F8Gs to try and burn in - unlikely I will ever torture myself by plugging a Sylvania into any amp ever again - unless I want to hurt myself. I know some folks like these tubes - I just don't. YMMV.

I get what you are saying however it could sound different. I didn't realize it had the same internals.

One RCA 6F8G (flat plates) that I have also has the same internals as the RCA 6SN7. However they sound completely different. Not even the same ball park.

Probably worth trying the Sylvania. Even just in the WA6.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #33,080 of 42,298

I get what you are saying however it could sound different. I didn't realize it had the same internals.

One RCA 6F8G (flat plates) that I have also has the same internals as the RCA 6SN7. However they sound completely different. Not even the same ball park.

Probably worth trying the Sylvania. Even just in the WA6.

You have convinced me - will give them a shot this evening and see what happens.

They can't sound any worse than Sylvania 6SN7s, I guess
blink.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #33,082 of 42,298

wink_face.gif

Agreed, horrible things, don't do anything well, its the old look at Ma's ankles, its just not right to think its going to get any better.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #33,083 of 42,298

Agreed, horrible things, don't do anything well, its the old look at Ma's ankles, its just not right to think its going to get any better.

love it. Okay we won't bring that one into the mix. I never liked the 6SN7 variant.

I just thought the RCA improved on the 6F8G. However that was nice as a 6SN7 as well.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #33,084 of 42,298
This one is aimed squarely at you Tony, you know what you have done, talking up the Moon, man you know there are addicts that hang out in public places.... That's all I am saying......

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #33,085 of 42,298
Hmm feeling a bit testy today, already had a domestic over making noise (putting the washing on) when I am listening to music, how incredibly inconsiderate.

And then Preproman copped it over on the Moon forum, were are not on p***ing contest or money.com, really... its all bout the music dude. Cough, well its a bit about the equipment, just a bit.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #33,087 of 42,298
  Hmm feeling a bit testy today, already had a domestic over making noise (putting the washing on) when I am listening to music, how incredibly inconsiderate.

And then Preproman copped it over on the Moon forum, were are not on p***ing contest or money.com, really... its all bout the music dude. Cough, well its a bit about the equipment, just a bit.

Go back to the WA234. It should sooth things.
wink_face.gif

Counting down the hours until I finish work. Wizz home and fire up the WA22. Wednesday nights are my don't do anything night.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #33,088 of 42,298

Go back to the WA234. It should sooth things.
wink_face.gif

Counting down the hours until I finish work. Wizz home and fire up the WA22. Wednesday nights are my don't do anything night.

Same here !!! 

Wednesday is the Island in the middle of the week.

New batch of Elrog's turn up today. Burn baby burn.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #33,089 of 42,298
  WOW!
I can't believe the hate for the Sylvania 6SN7…I happen to really like these tubes with the WA6.

Its not hate, its the dustbin, no seriously its personal preference they don't do it for me, YMMV .

I've heard just about every variant and some of them (bad boys) etc are not cheap, IMHO you can do better for the $.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #33,090 of 42,298
  This one is aimed squarely at you Tony, you know what you have done, talking up the Moon, man you know there are addicts that hang out in public places.... That's all I am saying......

I moonlight as a crack dealing outside schools...

You'll thank me later. It's an outstanding SS headphone amp (and preamp, if you use it for such).

I think it scales well with better DACs - the oboard option is good, but it can go further with better hardware. Please share how it sounds with the DaVinci if you do that hook up (stunning DAC by all the reviews I have read, by the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back