Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #33,031 of 42,298
Thank you so much for the suggestions, Krutsch. This is my first step into the world of tube amplification and the help is really appreciated.

I have the joys of trying to get a hold of these in the UK, but is seems as though this website offers international shipping.
They stock the e88cc for $48, but unfortunately none of the recommended Power Tubes are in stock. I'll have a look around, but I might just upgrade the driver tubes now and the power tubes later, assuming that's an acceptable thing to do.

Is there any recommended reading for understanding the different tube sizes and types?

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #33,032 of 42,298

I discovered something yesterday. I had a power tube Brimar 6080 (rebadged Sylvania I think) that was noisy. I thought I would just keep burning it in and it would go away. Well I got over 50 hours with no improvement. Then I started playing with the 6F8G wire and it went quiet.
In the end I removed the power tubes and switched left to right and right to left. As they were sitting in different positions internally. Volla. Noise gone. I suspect power from the power tube was effecting the wire on the adapter. Changing the internals position fixed it. Just something to be aware of.

Oh. By the way. I agree with Tony. The NU 6F8G is the best driver tube I have listened to and I have listened to many. I've stocked up.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #33,034 of 42,298
  Good to hear you fixed the noise issue!
Where are you buying your NU-6F8G's from, I would like to purchase a pair + adapters?
Thank you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321682463380?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Italian guy.

He hasn't got any for sale at the moment. However he will soon. Auctions end. Then he lists a new one.

I'm just using the adapters above for testing. To see if I liked. Now I do like I'm getting Glenn to make a proper pair.

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #33,035 of 42,298
I always liked Amperex 6DJ8 PQ A-frames for the drivers.

I'll be picking up a Wa3 later this week for my HD650's. Anyone have any tube recommendations? I listen to Folk/Folk Rock, not a whole lot else.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #33,041 of 42,298
  I can't wait too feel some! 
L3000.gif

How do I go about ordering the adapters from Glenn for the 6F8G's
Thank you.

Send him a PM

Here is his thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #33,042 of 42,298
Some say so, but I don't have enough experience to say either way. I will say that the Amperex (holland) PQ A frame is under rated and sounds pretty transparent to me.

Cheers for the suggestion! Does the make affect the performance at all?
For instance, how would an Amperex 6DJ8 differ from a Telefunken or a Mullard?

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #33,043 of 42,298
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/321682463380?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Italian guy.

He hasn't got any for sale at the moment. However he will soon. Auctions end. Then he lists a new one.

I'm just using the adapters above for testing. To see if I liked. Now I do like I'm getting Glenn to make a proper pair.

Careful, this guy (vintubes) ripped me off. I bought 8 T-S flat plates from him that were great. Then I bought 8 NUs, they were ALL bad... terrible static at best, headphone-endangering screeches at worst. He refused to honor his own return policy, and I had to escalate the case to eBay before he came to his senses and gave me a refund (and he didn't even want me to send the tubes back... I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions from that.)

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #33,044 of 42,298

Careful, this guy (vintubes) ripped me off. I bought 8 T-S flat plates from him that were great. Then I bought 8 NUs, they were ALL bad... terrible static at best, headphone-endangering screeches at worst. He refused to honor his own return policy, and I had to escalate the case to eBay before he came to his senses and gave me a refund (and he didn't even want me to send the tubes back... I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions from that.)

Thanks for letting me know - I will give my newly aquired NUs a testing.

Were the NUs NOS? I expect some degree of pre-burn in nastiness for NOS.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #33,045 of 42,298
  Send him a PM

Thank again for the information!
beerchug.gif

Thanks for letting me know - I will give my newly aquired NUs a testing.
Were the NUs NOS? I expect some degree of pre-burn in nastiness for NOS.

Did you also purchase your 6F8G's from this seller?

Hmm, thanks for the heads-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back