Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #32,371 of 42,298
The Tung Sol VT-99s of both varieties are the best, although the RCA isn't too far behind. I'm thinking of picking up some NU VT-99s as well for comparison. It's hard to tell in the pic but a lot of those 6SN7s are brown-base Sylvania 6SN7s, another personal favorite.

You certainly have some rectifiers I eventually want to acquire as well (PSVane replicas, Fivre, apparently the Brimars...)

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #32,372 of 42,298
The Tung Sol VT-99s of both varieties are the best, although the RCA isn't too far behind. I'm thinking of picking up some NU VT-99s as well for comparison. It's hard to tell in the pic but a lot of those 6SN7s are brown-base Sylvania 6SN7s, another personal favorite.

You certainly have some rectifiers I eventually want to acquire as well (PSVane replicas, Fivre, apparently the Brimars...)

Thank you for your Info. I ordered some Rectifier and the Brimar is for this price very very good. I also like the Psvane Replica after a very long in burn in process.

I ordered 6FG8 Sylvania and maybe the RCA. The Tung Sol I found are expensive what is a good price for the TS 6F8G or other brands?

thanks

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #32,373 of 42,298
hi, need some feedback for wa22 tubes

what do you guys think about these compared to other popular options price/performance wise?

- Sylvania 6SN7GT NOS, built 1940 offical woo audio upgrade tube before GE version

- Chatham  (Tung Sol) JAN-CAHG-5998 NOS, built 1960

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #32,374 of 42,298
Sometime ago I bough a pair of Brimar 5Y3G rectifiers for my WA5-LE and never tried them. I put them to work last night.
At the beginning were a little "shouty" in the midrange but they started to settle after a couple of hours so I am assuming the will improve more over time. What amazed me was their soundstage presentation. It is very big and holographic. The highs have a lot of detail and definition and the bass is fast and controlled. The sound was like watching a movie in 3D. If the midrange gets settle a little more these Brimar will be awesome. 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #32,375 of 42,298
Thank you for your Info. I ordered some Rectifier and the Brimar is for this price very very good. I also like the Psvane Replica after a very long in burn in process.

I ordered 6FG8 Sylvania and maybe the RCA. The Tung Sol I found are expensive what is a good price for the TS 6F8G or other brands?

thanks

The good prices are gone, the Italians now want $250 for a pair. If you're comparing to VT-231 Tung Sols, of course, it's still a bargain. Basically you have to compare to what the equivalent pair of 6SN7s go for.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #32,376 of 42,298

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #32,377 of 42,298
I also use the NU 6F8G's and really like them. The only down side  (like a lot of tubes including the TS 6F8G version) is they can be quite microphonic. I haven't tried Herbie's tube Dampers on the pair I am currently using, but am living with the microphonics. These NU's are not being used in a Woo, however, and perhaps in a HP amp the microphonics would be no-go........ hard to say.

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #32,378 of 42,298
hi, need some feedback for wa22 tubes

what do you guys think about these compared to other popular options price/performance wise?

- Sylvania 6SN7GT NOS, built 1940 offical woo audio upgrade tube before GE version

- Chatham  (Tung Sol) JAN-CAHG-5998 NOS, built 1960

It depends on your taste. I found the Sylvania way too bright for me and eventually went RCA Greyglass to mellow it a bit.

The 5998 I haven't tried but has the reputation of being one of the best.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #32,379 of 42,298
I've been doing an interesting experiment today.

I just wanted to colour the sound signature to my rig just a little. Obviously we can roll the tubes in our amps to our liking. I have been doing that however I was not quite there. I just needed a tad more bass and a little tiny bit of treble roll off.

So I'm currently experimenting with a little EQ.

As my iPod Classic can't install EQ Apps that made it a no go. Bit of a pity as the iPod classic and Arcam dock make a nice combo. Add to insult not many iPods that can install Apps don't work in the Arcam dock.

Then I came up with the Bluetooth solution. I have a new generation iPod 16G just lying around. Plus the Oppo HA-1 has a Bluetooth connection. BAM! Installed my favourite headphone music on the iPod. Installed Oppo HA-1 control App. Found a EQ and music player App and installed.

So the iPod just sits next to me during a listening session. I can choose the music, control volume (the iPod volume buttons can control also), do a little EQ adjustment, and control the whole Oppo all from it. :) The Oppo is my remote volume control for the WA22.

I can't hear any resolution loss using Bluetooth compared to other sources as well. So far I'm very impressed. It has given me that last little edge and sound signature control.

A little more experimenting to do. However so far so good. It could be the future of my headphone listening.

Pics below:

Shows music being played, then sent to the Oppo and finally the Woo.

Shows the EQ programe that gets applied in the music player App. It also has a soundstage programe which impressed me.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #32,380 of 42,298
So I'm currently experimenting with a little EQ.

I've been doing some of the same. I use a MacBook + Audirvana + Voxengo's HarmoniEQ (AU plug-in). It's addicting, once you start playing around with EQ. I have to admit, I feel funny using EQ, because I've been brainwashed to believe EQ is bad, although it's no different from coloring playback with tube rolling (and a WHOLE LOT less expensive).

Very cool setup ... the Oppo HA-1 + Oppo BDP + WA22 looks like an end-game setup, to me.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #32,381 of 42,298
In my new WA5 I used for arround 25 hours the stock Tubes with the HE-6 at the K1K output and it sounds ok. It was interessting before I hear the HifiMan with my Bryston and it seemed to me that there is not enough power to drive the HE-6 to perfection. Totaly different is the Woo to my ears it sounds with the stock Tubes better than the BHA-1.

After this first short burn in process I swapped in the SERP's, the Cossor 6SN7GT and the Brimar Rectifier and I was a litle bit disapointed. I read a lot about the SQ from the SERP's and I use the Brimar in my WA6 and I like it very much so the Cossor must be the Problem, I changed it to the stock Sylvania and it was much better. I hope the Cossor will be much much better after Burning in process if not is was an expensive experience. I am use the WA6 for burning in the Cossor right now

At the moment I use the Psvane T2's in the WA5 there have only 50hrs on it and I think they need a lot of more hours.

I really think that the WA6 is very good amp and I like the sound with my HD800 but the WA5 is to my ears a big step forward and I only can imagine how it sound when everything is fully burnend in :D

At the moment I am sitting in my armchair and enjoy some singer and songwriter music.

I did the HE-6 regrilling and the Audeze vegan Pad mod so far. I bought felt for the "Fuzzor" mod but I think is the wrong material it is not stiff enough I have to look for other one. But this two mods sound very good to my ears and the new pads are very comfortable.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #32,382 of 42,298
In my new WA5 I used for arround 25 hours the stock Tubes with the HE-6 at the K1K output and it sounds ok. It was interessting before I hear the HifiMan with my Bryston and it seemed to me that there is not enough power to drive the HE-6 to perfection. Totaly different is the Woo to my ears it sounds with the stock Tubes better than the BHA-1.

After this first short burn in process I swapped in the SERP's, the Cossor 6SN7GT and the Brimar Rectifier and I was a litle bit disapointed. I read a lot about the SQ from the SERP's and I use the Brimar in my WA6 and I like it very much so the Cossor must be the Problem, I changed it to the stock Sylvania and it was much better. I hope the Cossor will be much much better after Burning in process if not is was an expensive experience. Im use the WA6 for burning in the Cossor.

At the moment I use the Psvane T2's in the WA5 there have only 50hrs on it and I think they need a lot of more hours.

I really think that the WA6 is very good amp and I like the sound with my HD800 but the WA5 is to my ears a big step forward and I only can imagine how it sound when everything is fully burnend in
biggrin.gif

At the moment I am sitting in armchair and enjoy some singer and songwriter music.

I did the HE-6 regrilling and the Audeze vegan Pad mod so far. I bought felt for the Fuzzor mod but I think is the wrong material it is not stiff enough I have to look for other one. But this two mods sound very good to my ears and the new pads are very comfortable.

I am jelly of your setup.  :)

I'm using JAN 6SN7, Sophia 300b and stock 274b on WA5.  I like this combo.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #32,383 of 42,298

But yours is also a nice one :)

Is the Sony a Streamer?

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #32,384 of 42,298
But yours is also a nice one :)

Is the Sony a Streamer?

Thank you!! :)  It's the Sony top of the line music server HAP-Z1es.  Sounds amazing if you can get over the set up challenges.  

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #32,385 of 42,298

You should maybe try those brimars - I bought a pair and noticed quiet and improvement over the stock 274b. They also have a lovely bright glow 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back