Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 24, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #32,401 of 42,298
If anyone is interested in the Brimar information:

Brimar 5Z4GY. Available in black or brown base.

Purchase from Langrex. Great service. Cheap freight and takes a average of a week to deliver.

http://www.langrex.co.uk/common-valves.html

Price £18.50 each.

Nice. Very very nice.
I've noticed that your plates are grey.
The plates are black on my 5Z4GY tubes.
When did they start producing grey plates?

I wonder if the sound stage differs between the black plates and grey plates.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #32,402 of 42,298
You guys have been busy today. awesome.

Wow... impressive HT setup. I don't think I would ever leave that room :rolleyes:

Thanks Dude. Yip the room is well used.

Yep, when I oredred I didn't specify Black or Brown and I was sent Black, I guess you try specifying when you order.

Yes. I specified brown on my last two orders and got brown. :)

Well, I finally got around to throwing one of the TS 6AS7G into the WA3. No burn-in, yet, so maybe the sound will change. More controlled bass (and less of it, compared to the 5998, which was really growing on me), but it shows promise.

However, the first one I tried really rings - I mean more than any other tube I have. I guess I've been lucky, so far.

Does ringing settle down with burn-in or it going to stay that way? Do I need tube dampers for these? Or, is this just a bad tube or how these sound?

Sometimes they stop. Sometimes not. I had a RCA 6AS7G that was hissing humming and spitting the first time. Turned it on the second time and it was very well behaved. It is amost like that heat expands everything into place and then settles.

Nice. Very very nice.
I've noticed that your plates are grey.
The plates are black on my 5Z4GY tubes.
When did they start producing grey plates?

I wonder if the sound stage differs between the black plates and grey plates.

Geez great spotting. I hadn't noticed. I'm going to check my stock and see if I have a black plate version. I have no answers to your questions.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #32,403 of 42,298
Okay, I just checked.

I have 12 brown and two black base Brimars.

The brown base all have grey plates. The black has very dark plates. Very close to black.

I started with a black base and switched to a brown base last week. I didn't notice a difference.

I'm not saying there is not a difference. I just didn't hear it.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #32,404 of 42,298
Okay, I just checked.

The brown base all have grey plates. The black has very dark plates. Very close to black.

I started with a black base and switched to a brown base last week. I didn't notice a difference.

Great! Thanks for checking. I wonder, technically, what (chemical recipe) would make the plates black. And why they would manufacture some with grey plates and some with black plates. It's a lost art and lost recipe. Nevertheless, that is the coolest looking tube, I think.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #32,405 of 42,298
Nevertheless, that is the coolest looking tube, I think.

I like the bullet holes or Swiss cheese plates. Very cool.

Would look great teamed up with the Tung-Sol 5998's which also has a similar plate look.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #32,406 of 42,298
I like the bullet holes or Swiss cheese plates. Very cool.

Would look great teamed up with the Tung-Sol 5998's which also has a similar plate look.

That is what I like about those plates too. Exactly. And the sound is an extra bonus too! :wink:

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #32,407 of 42,298
Just got the Tung Sol VT-99s, and the Raytheon VT-99s. I listened to the Raytheon first, they seemed pretty good. The Tung Sol, I will just enjoy them for a bit... And do some comparisons with the NU later. They are very similar tubes, but I need to let everything burn in before I keep running my mouth about it all. Safe to say that it is very difficult to hear anything "wrong" with either the National Union or the Tung Sol. I do wonder how much of the tubey sound I still have though, and how close to a good solid state presentation I am getting.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #32,408 of 42,298
Beautiful setup. That looks like a projection screen behind your head-fi rig presentation. Did you cannibalize your theater rig for Head-Fi? You, sir, are a true enthusiast :L3000:

Yes I had a nice small Home Cinema and I loved it very much. But my neighbour didn't like it as much as I did :mad:

So last August I started with HeadFi and really love it. The sound is excelent and I can listen to my music every time without disturbing the neighbours :D

At the moment I build up a smaller Home Cinema System but my priority is HeadFi with my Woo Amps and different Headphones :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #32,409 of 42,298
Just got the Tung Sol VT-99s, and the Raytheon VT-99s. I listened to the Raytheon first, they seemed pretty good. The Tung Sol, I will just enjoy them for a bit... And do some comparisons with the NU later. They are very similar tubes, but I need to let everything burn in before I keep running my mouth about it all. Safe to say that it is very difficult to hear anything "wrong" with either the National Union or the Tung Sol. I do wonder how much of the tubey sound I still have though, and how close to a good solid state presentation I am getting.

I am very interested in the difference between this tubes and looking forward to read your comparison :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #32,410 of 42,298
Is there any reason why the 7n7 tube is not as popular for 6sn7 replacement?  From what I read it suppose to be the same electrical and come at a much lower price right now.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #32,411 of 42,298
Is there any reason why the 7n7 tube is not as popular for 6sn7 replacement?  From what I read it suppose to be the same electrical and come at a much lower price right now.

Not 100% sure but I think you need a adapter.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #32,413 of 42,298
Yeah, you do need an adapter but if I have the 6f8g then it shouldn't be a big problem.  I am looking into these tube now because from what I read they are suppose to be technically better than 6sn7.  I don't know if that would translate into better sound or not but it doesn't hurt to try at their current price.  You could get 10 lifetime worth of 7n7 tube for one ts bgrp.  Did you get the sylvania tall glass version Tony?  I think those are the older one and supposedly better than the short one.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #32,414 of 42,298

Okay, I just checked.

Great! Thanks for checking. I wonder, technically, what (chemical recipe) would make the plates black. And why they would manufacture some with grey plates and some with black plates. It's a lost art and lost recipe. Nevertheless, that is the coolest looking tube, I think.

I have brown base  and  black base plates are gray on all of them                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #32,415 of 42,298
^

Interesting. I think this going to be a real mystery. Seems that when you order from Langrex it is a lottery with what you get. I ordered brown base on two orders and both times that is what was supplied, but the black plate business is something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back