Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 25, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #32,416 of 42,298
  ...  Did you get the sylvania tall glass version Tony?  I think those are the older one and supposedly better than the short one.

The 7N7s supplied by Woo were Tung-Sols. I can't see any date markings on them.

I will plug these in again with the Brimar and give them another run. Perhaps I didn't give them enough hours on the first try - it is hard to keep them in as they suck pretty hard.

EDIT - now this is odd - the 7N7s are performing very well with the Brimar. Some slight harshness and microphonics that I hope will disappear with more hours, but they are showing great promise. Not sure why I detested them on the first try - perhaps this was back when I had sucky rectifiers.

Anyway, these are not bad tubes at all. Tempted to try them in the WA5, but I don't have a 7N7->6SN7 adapter.

If the slight harshness and microphonics fade with more hours these could be winners. I have had them sitting on a shelf, unloved, for quite a few months - in fact I think I came close to binning them after the first listen. Glad I didn't.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #32,417 of 42,298
^

Interesting. I think this going to be a real mystery. Seems that when you order from Langrex it is a lottery with what you get. I ordered brown base on two orders and both times that is what was supplied, but the black plate business is something new.

My first order i was expecting 5Z4GR brown base like on picture i got black base 5Z4G on there site .The second time i ordered i asked for 5Z4GR brown base and thats what i,got .

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #32,418 of 42,298
^

Interesting. I think this going to be a real mystery. Seems that when you order from Langrex it is a lottery with what you get. I ordered brown base on two orders and both times that is what was supplied, but the black plate business is something new.

Generally speaking, black-plate tubes are older than grey-plate tubes.

Black base versus brown micanol base should make no difference whatsoever, unless yours is an aerospace application.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #32,419 of 42,298
Let the 7N7 hype begin... those 6F8Gs, they are already yesterday's news.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #32,420 of 42,298

I won't have time for a while, but I do plan on picking up a pair of 7N7 adapters. Apparently, regardless of the brand, Sylvania made almost all of the 7N7 tubes out there (NU did make a few), and they are super cheap. It would be very interesting to directly compare them to 6SN7 and 6F8G. Apparently the tall bottle type is identical to the 6SN7, and they are supposedly better than either short bottle version. It seems Sylvania made 3 types. The NU ones are supposedly the best, but I've read in 2 places that they are an unreliable tube. I wonder if it is just people picking up old used tubes, or what. The people that have them working have good things to say about them.

edit: Square plates seem to be the best, as opposed to triangle plates. NU made the only round plates.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #32,421 of 42,298

popcorn.gif
 ... best post I've read, today, except for @mikoss WA2 and tube rolling review.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #32,422 of 42,298

Funny you should say that, these turned up last week.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #32,423 of 42,298

The 7N7s supplied by Woo were Tung-Sols. I can't see any date markings on them.

I will plug these in again with the Brimar and give them another run. Perhaps I didn't give them enough hours on the first try - it is hard to keep them in as they suck pretty hard.

EDIT - now this is odd - the 7N7s are performing very well with the Brimar. Some slight harshness and microphonics that I hope will disappear with more hours, but they are showing great promise. Not sure why I detested them on the first try - perhaps this was back when I had sucky rectifiers.

Anyway, these are not bad tubes at all. Tempted to try them in the WA5, but I don't have a 7N7->6SN7 adapter.

If the slight harshness and microphonics fade with more hours these could be winners. I have had them sitting on a shelf, unloved, for quite a few months - in fact I think I came close to binning them after the first listen. Glad I didn't.

Tony,

Tung Sols usually take forever to burn in, any chance you could post pics so we can have a look at the construction?

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #32,425 of 42,298
^^^ TonyN, is that a pic of your tube " burn in" WA6 amp? The Tung Sols look pretty cool.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #32,426 of 42,298
^^^ TonyN, is that a pic of your tube " burn in" WA6 amp? The Tung Sols look pretty cool.

More than just burn in - it is my PC sound system (toslink->Simaudio 100D DAC->WA6->HD600). I use it to test + burn in rectifiers and driver tubes, but it also gets a lot of head time loving as well. The WA6 is a highly capable amp that pairs nicely with the HD600.

This is my first HeadFi setup that was the start of my descent into audiophile + tube madness
blink.gif

The Tung-Sol 7N7s are showing some signs of improvement already - I think I can detect some fading of the initial harshness and microphonics (or perhaps it is all happening inside my head).

EDIT - not all in my head - these are good tubes that are getting better and better with use. The pairing with the Brimar seems very good, but I will also try the Psvane WE274B replica later for a darker matching.

One other thing I have noticed - the 7N7 seems to have a higher output power compared to other driver tubes I have used in the WA6. A bit less of a spin on the gain knob to get the same volume as with other tubes types - not a huge difference, but noticeable.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #32,427 of 42,298
  One other thing I have noticed - the 7N7 seems to have a higher output power compared to other driver tubes I have used in the WA6. A bit less of a spin on the gain knob to get the same volume as with other tubes types - not a huge difference, but noticeable.

Does the 7N7 use the same adapter as the 6DE7>6SN7 for the WA6?

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #32,429 of 42,298
I see. 7N7 -> 6DE7. It's good to be able to use other tubes with the right adapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back