Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #32,356 of 42,298
  Let's see pics of your tube stash!

(My EML 300Bs are too big to fit in any of these individual tube boxes so I have them elsewhere sitting in the giant box they came in. Actually, they would fit in the Sophia boxes but I don't have any extras of those.)

Great stash ! how do you find the EML 300B's which ones do you have?

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #32,357 of 42,298

The HD800's started out too bright for me also. My tube rolling concentrated on taming that some. My final tubes for the Sennheiser's ended up being the GEC 6AS7G, Sylvania 6SN7WGTA Brown Base and the WE422a. I gave up some bass by not using the 5998's and using the GEC's so as to take a little punch out of the HD800's. If you already think your LCD3's are too bright and you get the same change to the sound with the TS 6F8G's that I did, I can't imagine that you'd care for them.

For me, the 5998's have more "life" to them than the 7236's. Sorry about the description but I'm clearly not an audio writer. Maybe more of everything? Could just be the extra power/volume that they provide but for me they're a great match with the LCD 3's, with the HD800's, not so much. YMMV.

Actually. Good explanation. Actually I thought the 7236 was lifeless. It did have heaps of power but i don't need that. I only ever get to the 1'O'Clock position tops on any tube. The 7236 has good bass impact and other users say in that regards it is similar to the 5998. Everything else was not great tho.

I'm using the Brimar 5R4GY Rectifier. A wide range of power tubes at the moment as I'm experimenting and the RCA Greyglass 6SN7 to tame the treble a bit. Yet I could still tame the treble more.

Thinking about it last night I'm going to do one of two things. I don't think tube rolling is going to tame the treble enough for my taste. So I'm either going to:

1. Modify my headphones. Do some research into damping the ear cups.

2. Been playing around with the idea of having my music collection on a 64G iPad. From there I could run the Oppo HA-1 control App. Which gives me full control from the iPad (I do this now. Works great). I can also send music from the iPad via bluetooth (tested also works great). So What I would do is play the music. Run it through a Graphic EQ App and then bluetooth send to the HA-1 which feeds the WA22. I would be able to run everything via a iPad. Music, EQ and volume control. What I need to do is compare from each source to see if there is too much quality loss via bluetooth.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #32,358 of 42,298

Actually. Good explanation. Actually I thought the 7236 was lifeless. It did have heaps of power but i don't need that. 

+1 ... I have not, yet, gone back to the Tung-Sol or Sylvania 7236 (although that's coming...).

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #32,359 of 42,298
  Hey Ken, are you bidding on these?

Western Electric 422A PAIR of Vacuum Tubes, Batch #6552, 6539 http://r.ebay.com/lKgU7y

No. I am bidding on a pair of W21a in Madison, WI, USA (my home town, no kidding...). I am hoping to win these, so I can road-trip for pickup.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #32,360 of 42,298
New tubes are here!!!! Not, yet, immersed into said amp, et al. But I am excited... impressions to follow...

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #32,361 of 42,298
  New tubes are here!!!! Not, yet, immersed into said amp, et al. But I am excited... impressions to follow...

Ha, I bought 4 of those last week. Not yet arrived. I'm on the wrong end of the planet.

I do have one set that is labeled up Chatham with the same design. They are the best sounding 6AS7G that I have heard. However I haven't heard the 5998.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #32,362 of 42,298

Ha, I bought 4 of those last week. Not yet arrived. I'm on the wrong end of the planet.

I do have one set that is labeled up Chatham with the same design. They are the best sounding 6AS7G that I have heard. However I haven't heard the 5998.

Boo-yah!!  Man, I am digging this hobby! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #32,363 of 42,298

Great stash ! how do you find the EML 300B's which ones do you have?

The mesh. They are excellent, a little darker and more liquid than the SERPs. The SERPs are still my overall favorite but it's close, I like having both for variety.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #32,364 of 42,298

The mesh. They are excellent, a little darker and more liquid than the SERPs. The SERPs are still my overall favorite but it's close, I like having both for variety.

I am struggling with mine, they only have 15 hours on them, what was your experience with burn in time and when did they come good? I was expecting the same liquid/lush sound you mention. Mine sound dry and well boring.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #32,365 of 42,298
I have done a burn in chart so I can see where various comments are in relation to burn in time and their improvements. I thought it may be of interest. If anyone would like the spreadsheet PM and I will send it to you.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #32,366 of 42,298
^

Damn good work.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #32,367 of 42,298

I am struggling with mine, they only have 15 hours on them, what was your experience with burn in time and when did they come good? I was expecting the same liquid/lush sound you mention. Mine sound dry and well boring.

Hmm, mine were never dry and boring, even from the start. Contrary to many others I've rarely found a tube to change sound signature that much with burn-in. At most with some I see it useful for burning out any noise or static present initially.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #32,368 of 42,298

(My EML 300Bs are too big to fit in any of these individual tube boxes so I have them elsewhere sitting in the giant box they came in. Actually, they would fit in the Sophia boxes but I don't have any extras of those.)

Well well well so thats where earths last 596's are !

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #32,370 of 42,298

very nice stock...what is yor favorite VT-99 ?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back