Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #32,341 of 42,298
There's no reason to start assigning blame for all the purchases our fellow posters have inspired, otherwise everyone would be knee deep.

Just plugged in the RCAs in again, and, well, they're better than I initially gave them credit for. They're laid back, strong bass, ever so slightly less detail, still plenty though, no harshness to speak of, they are, well, lovely is the best word to describe them. Not as holographic, but that doesn't need to be a detraction. With some female vocals, the music speaks more than with the NU. Not the words themselves, but the strength, the emotion of the voice. It pulls at me. NU are fun, ridiculously detailed and accurate, but when I initially read about the RCA grey glass, I think in the 6SN7 reference thread, the OPie described them as "just totally right." Totally spot on.

They do everything so well, and no fatigue to speak of. I also realized that this pair has maybe 1 hour on them, so it was a bit unfair to be posting impressions against a broken in NU set. They will not approach the NU in what the NU does well, but they don't have to.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #32,342 of 42,298

Well, there you go... that's what I get for late-night shopping on-line.

I must have mis-read something while you were talking about another tube model number. I hope they sound good, anyway (it seems to be 6080 equivalent, but they look more like 5998s).

Maybe when I was yarping on about 6SN7GTs? Was booze involved? Alcohol and Ebay are a dangerous mix
blink.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #32,343 of 42,298

Maybe when I was yarping on about 6SN7GTs? Was booze involved? Alcohol and Ebay are a dangerous mix
blink.gif

Ha ha... no kidding... well, if you scroll back and look at my night "audio glass" shot of the martini, that should answer your question. A little vodka and 6SN7GT magically becomes 6AS7G 
beerchug.gif
 ...well, at least I got the Tung-Sol part right.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #32,344 of 42,298

Ha ha... no kidding... well, if you scroll back and look at my night "audio glass" shot of the martini, that should answer your question. A little vodka and 6SN7GT magically becomes 6AS7G 
beerchug.gif

The dangers of alcohol combined with a keyboard and internet access
beerchug.gif

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt and a pile of over-priced crap I would never have ordered without some help from Mr Jack Daniels.

I hope the tubes are good - still a chance of a happy outcome - it's not like you ordered a Siberian scrotum warmer (or something equally useless).

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #32,345 of 42,298

beerchug.gif

Did you get the Tung Sol round plates 6SN7's ? 

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #32,346 of 42,298

Did you get the Tung Sol round plates 6SN7's ? 

I did not... I've read your comments on that tube, but that's not on the WA3 compatibility list (as far as I know). Of course, I am getting the itch to move up the amp chain, but I really want to move my 'phones up, first, so I am on the WA3 for the time being. Please tell me, however, if I am wrong about the compatibility issue - I am referencing the spreadsheet from Woo Audio.

BTW, I see there a bunch of them for sale on eBay from Polska - I always wonder if these are authentic, but I suppose it's difficult enough to make tubes in the first place.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #32,347 of 42,298

I did not... I've read your comments on that tube, but that's not on the WA3 compatibility list (as far as I know). Of course, I am getting the itch to move up the amp chain, but I really want to move my 'phones up, first, so I am on the WA3 for the time being. Please tell me, however, if I am wrong about the compatibility issue - I am referencing the spreadsheet from Woo Audio.

Best to check with Woo - I find emailing Jack usually gets a prompt response.

Jack Woo <jack@wooaudio.com>

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #32,348 of 42,298

That's all a bit suck. It would be a real pity for the WA22 to fall over on bass reproduction.

Any input from other WA22 owners? I think DubstepGirl used to own a WA22 and might be able to throw an opinion into this?

Right now I have TS 7236's, GEC 6AS7G's (bought them from Dubstep Girl when she sold her WA22) and TS 5998's. The 5998's are far and away my favorite power tubes. I think they provide very deep and powerful base but at the very least you'll get a noticeable increase in volume compared to other power tubes. I've been listening to HD800's for the last couple of years but Santa brought me a pair of Audeze LCD-3 headphones this Christmas. Compared to my HD800's they have much fuller bass but the highs seemed somewhat recessed from what I remembered hearing at last years regional meet in Charlotte. I normally use a WE422a Rectifier so I tried a USAF 596 without much change. My Sylvania 6SN7WGTA Brown Base drivers are the brightest drivers I had on hand so I hit 2359Glenn up for a pair of 6F8G to 6SN7 adapters and EBay'd a pair of TS 6F8G's. Wow, just wow. Previously the 5998's made the biggest change to the sound when tube rolling but the 6F8G's are on a whole  different level. I can hear brushes on a cymbal way back in the mix and triangles have that little bit of sparkle again. With the increased weight to the sound and getting the highs back with the LCD 3's I'm thinking I might sell the HD 800's to help pay for some of this stuff. At least my pocketbook is glad I'm not a WA5 or 234 owner rolling 300B's like some of you have been posting about.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #32,349 of 42,298
  Best to check with Woo - I find emailing Jack usually gets a prompt response.

Jack Woo <jack@wooaudio.com>

Thanks... I may do that, depending on how my bidding goes this weekend on the West. Elec. tubes.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #32,350 of 42,298

Probably not a lot of WA3 owners on this thread, but I'm going to keep posting my observations anyway (if nothing else, it's note taking for me).

I removed the Tung-Sol 6520 and the Russian Reflectors this morning, and switched back to the Siemens E88CCs and the Tung-Sol 5998. Let them warm up for 30 minutes and started playing FKA twigs "LP1" (really rich bass and vocals). I immediately noticed some additional detail, but that magic tonality I was really enjoying is missing. Crap... ah, what was the change, the power or the driver tubes?

I think the mistake I've made was changing power and drivers at once. Tonight, I will put the TS 6520 back in and see what that does on its own. I can see this process is going to take some time.

Well, I changed my mind and decided to leave in the TS 5998 and, instead, replace the drivers with the Telefunken E188CCs. Listening to Zero 7 and I've never heard a more syrupy sound in my life - with real bass impact, as well. Some of that is Zero 7, but I am surprised at the difference the drivers have with the same power tube. This is my new favorite combination of glass.

Testing continues...

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #32,351 of 42,298

Right now I have TS 7236's, GEC 6AS7G's (bought them from Dubstep Girl when she sold her WA22) and TS 5998's. The 5998's are far and away my favorite power tubes. I think they provide very deep and powerful base but at the very least you'll get a noticeable increase in volume compared to other power tubes. I've been listening to HD800's for the last couple of years but Santa brought me a pair of Audeze LCD-3 headphones this Christmas. Compared to my HD800's they have much fuller bass but the highs seemed somewhat recessed from what I remembered hearing at last years regional meet in Charlotte. I normally use a WE422a Rectifier so I tried a USAF 596 without much change. My Sylvania 6SN7WGTA Brown Base drivers are the brightest drivers I had on hand so I hit 2359Glenn up for a pair of 6F8G to 6SN7 adapters and EBay'd a pair of TS 6F8G's. Wow, just wow. Previously the 5998's made the biggest change to the sound when tube rolling but the 6F8G's are on a whole  different level. I can hear brushes on a cymbal way back in the mix and triangles have that little bit of sparkle again. With the increased weight to the sound and getting the highs back with the LCD 3's I'm thinking I might sell the HD 800's to help pay for some of this stuff. At least my pocketbook is glad I'm not a WA5 or 234 owner rolling 300B's like some of you have been posting about.

Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting.

I may have to go to the 6F8G as well by what you are saying. A lot of members having been telling me that. I feel sorry for them that I haven't done it yet.

Few questions if I may? I don't like the Sennheiser sound. Way to bright for me. A lot of members talk about getting that Sennheiser treble and soundstage. Not something I would like.
Crikey I find my LCD3C with dark tubes way too bright. Do you think the 6F8G's will be too bright for my taste?

What is the TS 5998 like compared to the TS 7236? A few members have said the 7236 is the closest 6080 style to the 5998. I own the 7236 so it will give me an idea of what the 5998 is like.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #32,353 of 42,298
Let's see pics of your tube stash!

(My EML 300Bs are too big to fit in any of these individual tube boxes so I have them elsewhere sitting in the giant box they came in. Actually, they would fit in the Sophia boxes but I don't have any extras of those.)

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #32,354 of 42,298

Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting.

I may have to go to the 6F8G as well by what you are saying. A lot of members having been telling me that. I feel sorry for them that I haven't done it yet.

Few questions if I may? I don't like the Sennheiser sound. Way to bright for me. A lot of members talk about getting that Sennheiser treble and soundstage. Not something I would like.
Crikey I find my LCD3C with dark tubes way too bright. Do you think the 6F8G's will be too bright for my taste?

What is the TS 5998 like compared to the TS 7236? A few members have said the 7236 is the closest 6080 style to the 5998. I own the 7236 so it will give me an idea of what the 5998 is like.

The HD800's started out too bright for me also. My tube rolling concentrated on taming that some. My final tubes for the Sennheiser's ended up being the GEC 6AS7G, Sylvania 6SN7WGTA Brown Base and the WE422a. I gave up some bass by not using the 5998's and using the GEC's so as to take a little punch out of the HD800's. If you already think your LCD3's are too bright and you get the same change to the sound with the TS 6F8G's that I did, I can't imagine that you'd care for them.

For me, the 5998's have more "life" to them than the 7236's. Sorry about the description but I'm clearly not an audio writer. Maybe more of everything? Could just be the extra power/volume that they provide but for me they're a great match with the LCD 3's, with the HD800's, not so much. YMMV.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #32,355 of 42,298

Thanks... I may do that, depending on how my bidding goes this weekend on the West. Elec. tubes.

Hey Ken, are you bidding on these?

Western Electric 422A PAIR of Vacuum Tubes, Batch #6552, 6539 http://r.ebay.com/lKgU7y

Users who are viewing this thread

Back