Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #30,452 of 42,298
  Well, I received a very surprising call from FedEx, to let me know I had a package waiting.  Low and behold, 2 days earlier than expected, the WA22 arrived.

The somewhat less good news, the 6F8G adapters that got shipped with it aren't due to show up until Thursday.  So, have to use a couple stock tubes for now but I'm sure I will find a way to manage, lol.

Either way, time to go hook up new toys. 
basshead.gif

Oh so nice!  Happy for you.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #30,453 of 42,298
  Well, I received a very surprising call from FedEx, to let me know I had a package waiting.  Low and behold, 2 days earlier than expected, the WA22 arrived.

The somewhat less good news, the 6F8G adapters that got shipped with it aren't due to show up until Thursday.  So, have to use a couple stock tubes for now but I'm sure I will find a way to manage, lol.

Either way, time to go hook up new toys. 
basshead.gif

What headphones will you be using?  I love the WA22 with AKG K812.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #30,454 of 42,298

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/da/100x100px-LS-da0864d8_P1000588.jpeg[/img]
  1. joseph69
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v2411770217.png
  4. online
  1. 2,146 Posts. Joined 10/2012

Received the WA6/6SN7 adapters this morning!
This afternoon I packed the 6-SE with all original content from Woo + a NOS Mullard GZ34 and NOS GE 6FD7's/NOS Syvania 6DR7's.
Afterwards I unpacked my WA6 and put the wood side panels/tube plate/aluminum bezels, and this time took off the aluminum transformer cover and just used the wood cover for a lower/sleeker look…then popped in the 596/NOS 1962 6SN7WGTA's and have been burning-in/listening with the RS1i's for about 4hrs, and I'm so glad to have my old set-up back…just can't wait to pass the 200hr mark for it too really shine like my previous one.

I will be listing my less than 2 month old 6-SE in 10/10 condition with about 60-80hrs on it, and the tubes mentioned above which all have about 30-40hrs on them, on the F/S Forum for a few days…if I don't get any replies I will put it up for bids on eBay. If anyone is interested before it goes to eBay, send me a PM. Here are some photos.

Headphones: Grado RS1i/SR325is/SR80i
Amplifiers: Woo Audio WA6-SE/Schiit Magni
D/A Converters: Rega/Meridian-203/Schiit Modi
Sources: MacBookPro 13"/Sony CDP-C601ES
Power Control: Adcom ACE-515 Line Conditioner/Surge Protecter/Power On-Off Delay 

I'm jelly.  I have WA6, but now I want WA6-SE.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #30,456 of 42,298

LCD3's, T1's and the Alpha's.

Only ones I have really played with so far are the LCD3's, its the newness factor partially but they are damn fun listen to.  Should have all my adapters today so will really get to do solid listening this weekend with everything.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with the 6SE, whether I want to take it back to work or try and recoup some cost.  It's such a beautiful piece of equipment with the black color and the tubes glowing.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #30,457 of 42,298

LCD3's, T1's and the Alpha's.

Only ones I have really played with so far are the LCD3's, its the newness factor partially but they are damn fun listen to.  Should have all my adapters today so will really get to do solid listening this weekend with everything.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with the 6SE, whether I want to take it back to work or try and recoup some cost.  It's such a beautiful piece of equipment with the black color and the tubes glowing.

It will probably be hard to give up a beautiful sounding piece of art.
smile.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #30,459 of 42,298
  $$$ are a beautiful piece of art too.   
wink_face.gif

As long as you're buying another beautiful piece of art.
biggrin.gif

Eschew ugly.
normal_smile .gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #30,460 of 42,298
biggrin.gif

Eschew ugly.
normal_smile%20.gif

Probably just more tattoos.

EDIT:  Got all of my adapters now, 6F8G's, the 422 from Glenn (who is great to work with), so can't wait to get home and listen.  Also got the socket savers from TubeMonger today.  I know they are not a requirement but I figured for a small investment, why not make sure I do what I can to protect the amp, so I pulled the trigger on them, especially since I know myself and my OCD/ADHD.  It is bound to happen that I will end up with more tubes and will fidget with things.

Now with everything installed:  

By the way, it sounds phenomenal, especially the 422, and the adapter does make a difference.  Much more burn-in time to go to really open it up but I am awestruck by how it sounds.  Rotating between Smoke and Mirrors Percussion and Paco de Lucia at the moment and I have yet to find anything that didn't make me go "wow".  The 6F8G's make a big difference too over the stock tubes that get shipped with the amp.  

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #30,461 of 42,298

biggrin.gif

Eschew ugly.
normal_smile%20.gif

Probably just more tattoos.

The gift that keeps on giving.

EDIT:  Got all of my adapters now, 6F8G's, the 422 from Glenn (who is great to work with), so can't wait to get home and listen.  Also got the socket savers from TubeMonger today.  I know they are not a requirement but I figured for a small investment, why not make sure I do what I can to protect the amp, so I pulled the trigger on them, especially since I know myself and my OCD/ADHD.  It is bound to happen that I will end up with more tubes and will fidget with things.

I think you've got it nailed.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #30,463 of 42,298
  Congrats bonesnv
beerchug.gif
. Still early days I know , but which do you prefer for T1's - WA6 SE or WA22 ? 

Out of the few songs I tried, I could tell straight away, the WA22.  The 6SE made them far to bright for my personal tastes and without using the 6GL7 tubes they were almost a bit fatiguing to wear for a lot of songs and I was considering selling them.  The WA22 cut back all of that harsh brightness and opened them up quite a bit more, so now I am second guessing that thought of selling them.  Will listen more this weekend for sure.

Most of my listening right now is with the LCD3's.  They sounded good out of the 6SE, but they sound phenomenal out of the WA22.  

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #30,464 of 42,298

Out of the few songs I tried, I could tell straight away, the WA22.  The 6SE made them far to bright for my personal tastes and without using the 6GL7 tubes they were almost a bit fatiguing to wear for a lot of songs and I was considering selling them.  The WA22 cut back all of that harsh brightness and opened them up quite a bit more, so now I am second guessing that thought of selling them.  Will listen more this weekend for sure.

Most of my listening right now is with the LCD3's.  They sounded good out of the 6SE, but they sound phenomenal out of the WA22.  

WA22 is indeed a great amp at the right price. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #30,465 of 42,298
I'm curious to hear how the 422a works out for you. It's my favorite rectifier in my WA22 . To me it seems to produce a larger soundstage, almost three dimensional with some music. However, in my WA22, all 3 of the 422a's that I have produce a light hum, even on the low gain setting. It's not loud enough to intrude on the music but it's still there. My Sophia Princess & 596 rectifiers are dead quiet. I've never heard anyone else mention a hum with the 422a /WA22 combination so maybe it's just me. As I said, curious to hear how it works out for you.

You need an adapter that reverses pins 2 & 8 for a WE422A to work properly with out introducing hum

I bought the adapter from Glenn and he was 100% right. My amp with the WE422a has absolutely no hum at all when using his adapter, even when using the high gain setting. My favorite rectifier? Now even better!
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back