Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #21,781 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Thank God im in China...i can get the Psvane easily and more cheap...hehe..so how does the Psvane compare with Sophia Princess?

It will be a while before I can come to a conclusion on that, so stay tuned!

Well I haven't tried any other headphones or tube combos yet, but I can say that I am very pleased so far with the Psvane. It seems to have filled out a bit from my first session with it, and that is a very good thing because I thought it might have been a bit thin sounding, like the EML 274B. So it's either settling down or I am adjusting to it, but as it is a brand new tube I'll go with the former. It's above the EMLs and right up there with my favorites, the Princess and the 596. Kind of like a cross between the Princess and the EML 5U4G, with a little EML 274B thrown in. Great separation, punchy bass and extended highs, but the best part is the mids. They seem to be tuned to bring out the best in vocals, especially female; Norah Jones has never sounded so good!

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #21,782 of 42,298
@ grokit

Now that you've checked in here with Norah, can't wait for you to return with impressions from her sister! 
tongue_smile.gif

Half-sister Anoushka Shankar

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #21,784 of 42,298
Quote:
@ grokit

Now that you've checked in Norah, can't wait for you to return with impressions from her sister! 
tongue_smile.gif

She's very talented. I take it she doesn't sing at all though?

I found some great clips that aren't on YouTube:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2232192575/

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #21,785 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
@ grokit

Now that you've checked in Norah, can't wait for you to return with impressions from her sister! 
tongue_smile.gif

She's very talented. I take it she doesn't sing at all though?

I found some great clips that aren't on YouTube:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2232192575/

Yes, she does sing. In fact, it is her CD "Rise" that's featured in last year's Ads for the Logitech Squeezebox Touch.

logitech-squeezebox-touch_2.jpg

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #21,786 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
@ grokit

tongue_smile.gif

Woah, I'm supporting her.
biggrin.gif

Her and Norah have the same father... my beloved WA 6 Special Edition relished amplifying her notes. 
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #21,787 of 42,298
Quote:

I think what Jack means is that probably all the panels for their amps are built via CNC machining, which is computer controlled. This is done by the machine shop they contract with (from the looks of my WA5SE, it's a good one). If they do a mod or customization where they have to put a hole where there normally isn't one, it will have to be drilled by hand. Which is of course subject to human error.Of course, if anybody is having issues like this on a new amp, make sure it's resolved during the warrantee period. I guess it's more of a problem on equipment received back after service.

Yes, that's exactly what he meant.  I didn't expect a new machined rear panel, but I did expect it to look like it was done with care and attention to detail.  Honestly, though, the misdrill would be livable if it were the only problem.

I am approaching the end of my 30 day evaluation period and I'm very nervous about an amp that has been out of commission more than it's been in.  To be sure, the music coming through it sounds great when I can hear it; but the noise and the image shift give me pause.  Then there's the oscillation!  Nothing makes me move to the power switch faster than seeing my Adam Compact's woofer move in and out at nearly full excursion so slowly I can count the hertz...  Jack has committed to fixing the amp so the noise and oscillation is not present.  I hope to drop it off tomorrow.

I'm hoping the image shift is a matter of getting tubes that match.  The squeal and oscillation are the real deal breakers. The fact that I can't predict their onset and that it has no apparent relationship to the position of the source selector, the volume level or the musical signal makes it too random to accept, especially given the frequency with which it occurs.  I really hope it all gets sorted as I love the idea of owning a great sounding amp from a small, local company - just not as much as I hate the idea of a 4 figure dust collector...  No matter how cool it looks.

When the WA2 sounded right, it was really, really right.  I just need that to be a consistent experience.

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #21,789 of 42,298
Quote:
After Silent One's thick and massive "chopping board" and the Atomic Audio Labs Mac mini platform with spikes for his system. I followed and bought a set "new shoes" for the WA5LE, the Viablue QTC Spikes.
biggrin.gif

They look very nice and feel solid. For initial impression after putting in the amp for about an hour, sound feel a bit more micro detail on highs but lush with no fatigue from the LCD-3, bass is also a bit tighter but still dive deep, more 3 dimension with good separation and better soundstage.

It may be no sonic different with the stock footers and this is only my illusion or just psychologically feeling good because they really look nice with the WA5LE.
biggrin.gif

Very nice!  Do they help stop vibrations from sounding through the tubes?  Hmm... Maybe, if I try really hard, I could word that more awkwardly.  I mean, does it help keep ambient vibration from being heard through the amp's outputs?

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #21,791 of 42,298
Quote:
Very nice!  Do they help stop vibrations from sounding through the tubes?  Hmm... Maybe, if I try really hard, I could word that more awkwardly.  I mean, does it help keep ambient vibration from being heard through the amp's outputs?

Thanks, I didn't hear any ambient vibration before putting them in so why I say "It may be no sonic different with the stock footers and this is only my illusion or just psychologically feeling good because they really look nice with the WA5LE". 
biggrin.gif

But I concur it really make the highs clearer better separation on classical music instrument and a bit tighten the bass  

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #21,792 of 42,298
Quote:

Thanks, I didn't hear any ambient vibration before putting them in so why I say "It may be no sonic different with the stock footers and this is only my illusion or just psychologically feeling good because they really look nice with the WA5LE". 
biggrin.gif

But I concur it really make the highs clearer better separation on classical music instrument and a bit tighten the bass  

i really should stay off this site, at least this thread. 
angry_face.gif
  I'm looking at those spikes now, two sets.  wa22 and beta22. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #21,794 of 42,298
Quote:

Wrong, 3 sets total
very_evil_smiley.gif
. First set for the WA22, the second set for Beta 22 driver and the third set for th Beta 22 PSU.
biggrin.gif

Why do you remind me??? 
mad.gif
  OK, three sets.  Waiting from Corey if the beta22 can take them.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #21,795 of 42,298
No worry, they have varies sizes of thread stick to fit your amp from original M6 convert to M4, M8, M10, M12 and M6/¼"-20 UNC. There must have one fits your amp's need.
very_evil_smiley.gif
 You just have to check the threads' size then place yourr and that's it.
biggrin.gif

I use the M6 to M4 thread sticks for the WA5LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back