University Cans - $450
Sep 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #31 of 52
Hard to tell the difference between unamped and with an amp for me with the HE-400. If I switch back and forth between my Cowon and STX I can't notice any huge differences at equal volume.

So yeah a FiiO will definitely do. Might not even need that, I'd get the headphones first and then an amp if you feel they need it. Might be a little lacking on the volume side unamped, but everything else is still there, still the same headphones.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #32 of 52
HE-400 can be obtained new at $349 at HeadRoom if you are willing to give them a call and ask for their best price.
That might still be above your budget, but that is only $30 the AKG k550 listed above at $320.

Imo, that extra $30 will bring you a long way.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The lack of bass described by some of the members is (in my opinion of course) exaggerated. I enjoy a touch of bass to my music and blast bass in my car when I want to groove while driving, so don't think I'm a treblehead. It was my fear when I bought the headphones as well that there'd be a huge lack of bass and that I wouldn't be able to listen to hip hop/EDM out of the phones and enjoy. This was not the case. Lupe Fiasco and Brave Brothers on the 598s hit hard and get the point across. I won't say it has an abundance of bass if that's your thing, but it's certainly not excessively lacking.

Bass in the 598 is excessively lacking where trance, electronic and dub step are concerned. Low bass and mid bass are non-existent... or at least not audible to me... so any texture or tone in bass is completely gone. I can only hear something hit... but I can't quite make out what it is. The Senn HD 800 is thankfully not that bad, but it's still quite anemic.

Bass in most cars (make that 19 out of 20) I have heard are just vibration/rumbling rather than "bass". I wouldn't consider anyone a "basshead" simply because they blast bass in their cars, no offense.

If you want to hear "bass", try Audeze LCD-2. That headphone has "bass".

Hard to tell the difference between unamped and with an amp for me with the HE-400. If I switch back and forth between my Cowon and STX I can't notice any huge differences at equal volume.

So yeah a FiiO will definitely do. Might not even need that, I'd get the headphones first and then an amp if you feel they need it. Might be a little lacking on the volume side unamped, but everything else is still there, still the same headphones.

Lack of power causes bass in the HE-400 to be uncontrolled, loose, and the treble to be undefined. Not to mention recessed midrange. Once you pump enough power through them, you'll really feel the authority. I would hardly consider the STX adequate enough to drive some high-end cans even though it's a nice sound card.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Lack of power causes bass in the HE-400 to be uncontrolled, loose, and the treble to be undefined. Not to mention recessed midrange. Once you pump enough power through them, you'll really feel the authority. I would hardly consider the STX adequate enough to drive some high-end cans even though it's a nice sound card.

STX is still a significant increase in power from no amp... I would think that the biggest rise in performance would be no amp vs OK amp instead of OK amp vs high end amp for an efficient set of headphones.

None of the things you said not enough power does to it defines my experience with it even remotely for me. Maybe a little more muddy bass with no amp, but the difference is subtle at best.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #35 of 52
es10 is good for both home and portable use. thats already buying two headphones in one. they also cover a huge range of genres and the cups are already in a semi-brushed metal finish, so getting it scratched is OK, and it looks better if you make it fully-brushed metal finish using a sandpaper =)

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Bass in the 598 is excessively lacking where trance, electronic and dub step are concerned. Low bass and mid bass are non-existent... or at least not audible to me... so any texture or tone in bass is completely gone. I can only hear something hit... but I can't quite make out what it is. The Senn HD 800 is thankfully not that bad, but it's still quite anemic.

Bass in most cars (make that 19 out of 20) I have heard are just vibration/rumbling rather than "bass". I wouldn't consider anyone a "basshead" simply because they blast bass in their cars, no offense.

I listen to electronic and dub step on the 598s and enjoy the genres just fine even straight out of my J3. So obviously we have different ideas of what excessively lacking bass is in regards to the Senn 598.

I did not say I was a basshead anywhere in my post good sir, only that I was not a treblehead. Truth be told, I have a vocal fetish and my greatest enjoyment lies in a capella. No offense is taken, but better to read carefully yeah? 

I have heard the LCD-2. I like several things about it, not least of all the astonishing progress the wonderful folks have made on them since the LCD 1s. It has bass, but the headphones do not rest comfortably on my head and are still too dark for my tastes. Thus, my preference for the Senn 800, which in my opinion is not lacking in bass at all.

Different folks, different strokes. I have no problem with your enjoyment and enthusiasm for bassy headphones, but as opposed to stating the sound signatures you hear like it is your subjective opinion, you state your words like they're fact.

Seeing as how we're recommending headphones as opposed to being salesmen, such aggression is surely unnecessary. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:
First off, thanks a lot for the advice. Most helpful forum ever.

So HE 400s it is! Now... to choose an amp :p

Fiio E10/11 sounds good? (punintended)

Great that you are finding this forum useful. I've recently read from a HE-400 owner that he still uses his HD598 for vocal music so if you listen to vocal-oriented music, I'd reconsider. Otherwise, I think the HE-400 will be the safer bet (with regard to bass, which is often a deal breaker). 

The FiiO E10 can only be used as a desktop amp/ dac. If that's your need, go for it. The E11 is a better amp, so get that if you already have a good DAC/ soundcard on your laptop. If you have an Apple laptop, those typically come with good DACs so in that scenario, you should get an E11. 
Quote:

You can't expect perfect bass from any headphone. It is the most difficult (actually impossible) to reproduce bass correctly with any open headphones, because sound is being transmitted through your ears. Bass feels good because it affects every cavity in our bodies, and for this, pairs of speakers would do the job. That said, the HD-598 reproduces bass extremely well for a headphone that has a deep soundstage and is well balanced with the midrange and treble. Most open headphones that have a lot of bass are typically semi-open (Denons) or just have a smaller soundstage in general (HD650), usually with overemphasized bass. The DT990 is the other exception - judging by the reviews - but that headphone apparently has too much bass and treble. What the HD598 should focus on improving is the extension of the bass, rather than the quantity or quality of the bass. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:
First off, thanks a lot for the advice. Most helpful forum ever.

So HE 400s it is! Now... to choose an amp :p

Fiio E10/11 sounds good? (punintended)

Just get FiiO E17 as a nice slim all-in-one DAC/amp package for driving the HE400s. They complement very well.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Great that you are finding this forum useful. I've recently read from a HE-400 owner that he still uses his HD598 for vocal music so if you listen to vocal-oriented music, I'd reconsider. Otherwise, I think the HE-400 will be the safer bet (with regard to bass, which is often a deal breaker). 

The FiiO E10 can only be used as a desktop amp/ dac. If that's your need, go for it. The E11 is a better amp, so get that if you already have a good DAC/ soundcard on your laptop. If you have an Apple laptop, those typically come with good DACs so in that scenario, you should get an E11. 
You can't expect perfect bass from any headphone. It is the most difficult (actually impossible) to reproduce bass correctly with any open headphones, because sound is being transmitted through your ears. Bass feels good because it affects every cavity in our bodies, and for this, pairs of speakers would do the job. That said, the HD-598 reproduces bass extremely well for a headphone that has a deep soundstage and is well balanced with the midrange and treble. Most open headphones that have a lot of bass are typically semi-open (Denons) or just have a smaller soundstage in general (HD650), usually with overemphasized bass. The DT990 is the other exception - judging by the reviews - but that headphone apparently has too much bass and treble. What the HD598 should focus on improving is the extension of the bass, rather than the quantity or quality of the bass. 

See, now you come and I'm having second thoughts on the HD598s.
Goddammit, why is it so hard to decide on something?

Currently I'm thinking HE400+Fiio e17.
I'm going to read up on DAC and stuffz, just cuz I'm a noob, but, in a nutshell,

What do I win with the E17?

EDIT
Houston, we have a problem.
HE400+E17 is out of the question. And budget.

So I'm probably going HD598s+Fiio. I love their look, and hell I'll keep the bass on +10 at all times.
Whatcha think?

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #41 of 52
You get multi use unit. You can use it as an AMP only , DAC/AMP in one using USB connection or if you have computer with sound card with SPIDF out you also can use Toslink input instead of USB. Also unlike E10/11 you getting tone controls instead of just bass boost so you can adjus bass and treble to your liking depending on music you listening to same as in old stereo receivers/amplifiers so it is better investment

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

STX is still a significant increase in power from no amp... I would think that the biggest rise in performance would be no amp vs OK amp instead of OK amp vs high end amp for an efficient set of headphones.

None of the things you said not enough power does to it defines my experience with it even remotely for me. Maybe a little more muddy bass with no amp, but the difference is subtle at best.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I simply think that you will be able to get more out of your HE-400 if you push more to them. The STX is still a very fine amp (above OK in my books).

Quote:
I listen to electronic and dub step on the 598s and enjoy the genres just fine even straight out of my J3. So obviously we have different ideas of what excessively lacking bass is in regards to the Senn 598.

I did not say I was a basshead anywhere in my post good sir, only that I was not a treblehead. Truth be told, I have a vocal fetish and my greatest enjoyment lies in a capella. No offense is taken, but better to read carefully yeah? 

I have heard the LCD-2. I like several things about it, not least of all the astonishing progress the wonderful folks have made on them since the LCD 1s. It has bass, but the headphones do not rest comfortably on my head and are still too dark for my tastes. Thus, my preference for the Senn 800, which in my opinion is not lacking in bass at all.

Different folks, different strokes. I have no problem with your enjoyment and enthusiasm for bassy headphones, but as opposed to stating the sound signatures you hear like it is your subjective opinion, you state your words like they're fact.

Seeing as how we're recommending headphones as opposed to being salesmen, such aggression is surely unnecessary. 

Well, I take your post referencing the fact that you blasted bass in your car and so on as if you are trying to describe yourself as a "basehead", or at least the implication is there.

But yes, you are right. We are not salesmen, so I apologize for the attitude.

Quote:

I think you'll be surprised when you hear the HE-400 or the LCD-2... and that's also considering those headphones still don't quite touch high-end electrostats.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I simply think that you will be able to get more out of your HE-400 if you push more to them. The STX is still a very fine amp (above OK in my books).

Well, I take your post referencing the fact that you blasted bass in your car and so on as if you are trying to describe yourself as a "basehead", or at least the implication is there.

But yes, you are right. We are not salesmen, so I apologize for the attitude.

I think you'll be surprised when you hear the HE-400 or the LCD-2... and that's also considering those headphones still don't quite touch high-end electrostats.

Yes I really want to hear the planar magnetic and e-stat. But if I'm not mistaken, those have a smaller soundstage than the 598... well except maybe the e-stat. Typically smaller soundstage = more bass, though I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation there. I heard some ortho lovers get disappointed by the e-stat's bass... I probably wouldn't though. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:
Yes I really want to hear the planar magnetic and e-stat. But if I'm not mistaken, those have a smaller soundstage than the 598... well except maybe the e-stat. Typically smaller soundstage = more bass, though I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation there. I heard some ortho lovers get disappointed by the e-stat's bass... I probably wouldn't though. 

I've auditioned all the Hifiman and Audeze planar magnetic headphones, alongside a few dynamics (Denon D5k, AKG Q701, and Senn HD800 for instance), and to my ears, the Hifimans have very natural-sized open soundstages, especially the HE-6. The Audezes have a more crammed (some may word it as "intimate") soundstage. The D5k had a soundstage comparable to the Hifimans, the AKGs were about on par in terms of soundstage size to HE-6 BUT were not nearly as natural in terms of 3D imaging. The HD800s felt like a concert hall no matter what kind music was played through them, which I actually hated (except for when the music was actually recorded in a concert hall).

So no, not all planars have small soundstage. At least the Hifiman ones have moderate ~ great-sized soundstages that sound natural. The Audezes have quite natural soundstage as well, just small.

Unless you are a "soundstage-head" or whatnot, they are fantastic.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

I've auditioned all the Hifiman and Audeze planar magnetic headphones, alongside a few dynamics (Denon D5k, AKG Q701, and Senn HD800 for instance), and to my ears, the Hifimans have very natural-sized open soundstages, especially the HE-6. The Audezes have a more crammed (some may word it as "intimate") soundstage. The D5k had a soundstage comparable to the Hifimans, the AKGs were about on par in terms of soundstage size to HE-6 BUT were not nearly as natural in terms of 3D imaging. The HD800s felt like a concert hall no matter what kind music was played through them, which I actually hated (except for when the music was actually recorded in a concert hall).

So no, not all planars have small soundstage. At least the Hifiman ones have moderate ~ great-sized soundstages that sound natural. The Audezes have quite natural soundstage as well, just small.

Unless you are a "soundstage-head" or whatnot, they are fantastic.

How did your Denons compare with the Hifiman and Audeze? They're the only pair of dynamic driver cans I might invest in next (I've listened to the D2000 though). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back