Statistics have now been gathered, but I will leave the files in case anyone wants to ABX them. The key and statistics are in a spoiler at the bottom of this post.
I converted and volume matched some files for a blind test. I'd appreciate your participation, but please follow these guidelines so we can eliminate some unwanted variables entering the test:
1. Put your answers in SPOILERS. Do not read anyone's answers before listening and responding yourself.
This is so nobodies answer is influenced by anyone else.
2. This is a LISTENING test. Not a looking test. No peaking. If you peak you are a bad person.
3. Don't do any bizarre equalization or any other fancy tricks. Listen to them like you would normally listen to your music.
When you listen to each group I'd like for you to answer the following:
- How do you rank each of the files?
- Were you guessing?
- If you weren't guessing, what differences did you hear?
- How difficult was it?
On with the test!
For each group, one file is lossless, one is a 128kbps mp3, another is a 320kbps mp3. They are randomly scrambled, so one group's "A" might not be the same type as the other group's "A".
Group 1 - "Mighty River" by Railroad Earth
Zipped files: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u44qxs3j43azgo7Individual files(for those paranoid about zip compression :) ) (Click to show)
File 2 - "Fahrenheit Fair Enough" by Telefon Tel Aviv
Zipped files: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hpi9n4d2i3544diIndividual files (Click to show)
File 3 - "Falling Awake" by Shpongle
Zipped files: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?aib6uc1hw1ng73oIndividual files (Click to show)
While I'd appreciate it if you listened to all three groups, if you don't have the time feel free to only give your feedback on one or two. I tried to make the groups pretty different from each other.
Warning: Spoiler! Key and Statistics! (Click to show)
C(lossless): 5/10(50%) were correct. Four people said it was the opposite bitrate.
Edited by chewy4 - 1/21/13 at 4:47pm