University Cans - $450
Sep 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #16 of 52
Yea, it would be best if OP clarifies if noise isolation or even cancellation is still a priority seeing as this greatly impacts the recommendations that he should be getting.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 52
We're all gonna end up sitting around campfires at those "occupy wall street" rallies when we graduate... Spending all of our tuition money on headphones. Sigh...

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:
We're all gonna end up sitting around campfires at those "occupy wall street" rallies when we graduate... Spending all of our tuition money on headphones. Sigh...

If we shop smart, headphones can be a big one-time expenditure (sub-$600 for whole setup, for optimal performance:price ratio) during university years, and last until we get our first jobs before we delve into heavy-weight stuff.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 52
ES10 for me! although it doesnt have noise cancellation but they isolate outside noise decently

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 52
True, with the amount of pleasure a good pair of well-built headphones will give you, it's a far better value than paying the same amount for a few mediocre movie-dates (gas, tickets, food, etc.). Even expensive headphones seem pretty cheap compared to life in general.

Still, I'm living off of grants and loans and have an hour or two of "man I'm an idiot" every time I buy more audio gear when I could be investing it or doing early early tuition repayments, etc.

Well, back on topic, if I have a $450 gift certificate that will explode if I don't spend it on one pair of headphones within the next 5 minutes, I would probably cheat and buy 2 pairs of $225 headphones instead.

I just can't think of that many closed/isolating headphones in the $400-500 range.That's open territory.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 52
Jerg, truer words were never spoken.

Ok guys - I really don't care about isolation. It would be a plus, but that's it.

Now, HiFi HE400 are clearly out of my budget. Deals I can find are.

HD598 - 240$
ATH-ES10 - 400$
AKG K550 - 320$

Also, Lord Voldemort said that the HD598's bass may dissapoint.
Could it be fixed with a Fiio E10, or EQ? How does it compare to the M50s?

Oh, and I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to drive any new cans. That any good?

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #22 of 52
I have a Focusrite 8i6 and it's "adequate" but I probably wouldn't want it for the low sensitivity 300 ohms headphones that appear in this price range.

The K550s are only 32 ohms and the Sennheisers are 50 ohms so unless one of them has an extremely low sensitivity rating the 2i2 should drive them.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Ok guys - I really don't care about isolation. It would be a plus, but that's it.

HD598 - 240$
ATH-ES10 - 400$
AKG K550 - 320$

HD598's bass is nigh impossible to fix regardless of amp. It's very anemic. If you like M50, I don't think you'll like it at all. Some folks like it, though, because it doesn't slam their heads in.

K550 is pretty good value, but I think those still require an amp, or at least a good source to bring out their full potential. Plus they have a bit of emphasis in upper mid region, and their high frequency is a bit... fuzzy. By "fuzzy", I mean at times, I can't hear anything up there. It's like a bunch of static noise at higher frequency when too much of the song is focused there (Coldplay comes to mind). Their bass is okay, but not quite... M50 level. I would say M50 has slightly more impact and a good amount more low bass tone.

HE-400 can be had for cheap (around $350) if you don't mind getting them used, but you'll need a pretty good amp for them. However... if you don't care about isolation, and you are willing to go slightly over budget, then I think they offer the best sound quality out of all of the mentioned headphones in this thread thus far. Especially where bass is concerned. Only an amped ES10 comes close (like 75% close) to that bass.

And yeah, the ES10 really has a lot of bass and power for a portable headphone. They have one huge drawback, though: the earcups scratch very easily... so if you like the aesthetics, be warned that they can look bad at some angles.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

HD598 - 240$
ATH-ES10 - 400$
AKG K550 - 320$

Huh...HE400s are the same price as ATH-ES10, $400. Unless you mean Head-Direct cannot ship to your country and you have to buy an inflated price from a local dealer.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #25 of 52
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:
Huh...HE400s are the same price as ATH-ES10, $400. Unless you mean Head-Direct cannot ship to your country and you have to buy an inflated price from a local dealer.

I think he means that the additional cost of a proper amp to drive the HE400 would take him above budget.

I came from about the same line of products as you did OP. I have owned both the M50 and the Senn 598s for years. I found the M50s to be acceptable for everything but not particularly excellent in any area that really impressed me. They were somewhat portable, but the pleather made them intolerable in heat. Bass was a strong point. Midrange was rather recessed and was a definite "ugh" point in my books. Indeed, I preferred my Audio-Technica ATH-FC700s to them, a significantly cheaper headphone.

I own and love the Senn 598s, and I bought them in my college years as well. If noise leakage and isolation are not problems, I would feel very comfortable recommending this pair of headphones to you. I read a post earlier on that said they didn't look as nice in real life. This is a subjective opinion, but I believe they are gorgeous in real life. I will upload pictures of headphones on my head shortly when I take a lunch break and you can decide for yourself. I personally have received numerous compliments over the years on them. Comfort is out of this world. Any song that has midrange to flaunt will sound incredible.

The lack of bass described by some of the members is (in my opinion of course) exaggerated. I enjoy a touch of bass to my music and blast bass in my car when I want to groove while driving, so don't think I'm a treblehead. It was my fear when I bought the headphones as well that there'd be a huge lack of bass and that I wouldn't be able to listen to hip hop/EDM out of the phones and enjoy. This was not the case. Lupe Fiasco and Brave Brothers on the 598s hit hard and get the point across. I won't say it has an abundance of bass if that's your thing, but it's certainly not excessively lacking.

I like the ES10s, but am OCD about scratching and feel the 598s are a much better bang for their buck. I have not heard the K550 so will defer to others on that one.

Since the 598s, I've heard a good range of mid-high price point headphones. Thanks to my new job paying quite well, I have quite a bit of unused income to play around with. I'm picking up Heir Audio 4a.is as well as LFF's Paradox this month for IEM/closed headphones, but I have zero desire to purchase anything open in the mid-fi range because I am highly satisfied with the 598s. The only step I can see myself taking in the open category is the Senn 800s, which speaks volumes to how much I enjoy the 598s.

Of course, YMMV. <: 

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #29 of 52
Thanks so much for taking the time to write that long post. :D

Well, now I'm torn. We have HD698s, which seem a bargain for $240.
But then again, I'd want to invest more money so that my new cans would keep me interesting for at least 1-2 years.

Will the HE400s need an extra amp? Can I get away with a Fiio? Do I want to get away with a Fiio?

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to write that long post. :D

Well, now I'm torn. We have HD698s, which seem a bargain for $240.
But then again, I'd want to invest more money so that my new cans would keep me interesting for at least 1-2 years.

Will the HE400s need an extra amp? Can I get away with a Fiio? Do I want to get away with a Fiio?

Something as lowly as a FiiO E17 will work very well with HE400s. They do scale tremendously with better setups though but they are very forgiving of entry-level amping.

But yeah the Amazon UK price of HE400 is screwed up, it's not the regular price of HE400. Buy it from Head-Direct instead (that is basically Hifiman's own direct online shop).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back