University Cans - $450
Sep 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Figurehead

New Head-Fier
As I'm leaving for university, and giving my ATH M50s to my sister, it's time for new cans.

I'll use them in my room, alone, for music mainly (jazz to rock to electronica), then films and gaming.
Good noise cancellation. Comfortable for long hours.

Price 400 - 450$. No need for extra amp.

Maybe something in the Sennheiser HD range?

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 52
Sennheiser HD range mid~high end headphones = all 100% open-back headphones with 100% leak and close to no isolation.

The only real option here that WILL satisfy you on all fronts, including SQ (big time), under $450, is properly modded Fostex T50RPs. Either BMF mod or Mad Dogs.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 52
So they'll leak in too much noise?...

Well screw it, I can deal with that using my Shure SE215s.
I really wanna go HD.

Maybe an HD598... and a Fiio amp?

Or should I go on-the-ear V Moda M-80 and Senn's HD-25?

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 52
Quote:
http://c7r.de/V527

Luxury auto keychain digital photo frame,only $7.30 !!

staying with our family anytime and anywhere.

I think you should get this keychain instead of headphones. 

On-topic: Get Mad Dogs by Mrspeakers or LFF modded T50RP's.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 52
Quote:
As I'm leaving for university, and giving my ATH M50s to my sister, it's time for new cans.

I'll use them in my room, alone, for music mainly (jazz to rock to electronica), then films and gaming.

Heya,

Hifiman HE-400 with a Fiio E10 if using a computer for your source. If using a phone/portable player, consider the Fiio E11 instead.

Alternatives: Beyer DT880, Sennheiser HD600 (used), Hifiman HE-300, Ultrasone HFI 2400, Denon D2000, Audio Technica AD900 & A900X.

Very best,

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:
So they'll leak in too much noise?...

Well screw it, I can deal with that using my Shure SE215s.
I really wanna go HD.

Maybe an HD598... and a Fiio amp?

Or should I go on-the-ear V Moda M-80 and Senn's HD-25?

Depends how you want to use it... if you want truly great sounding headphones, you should look at non-portable ones. 

HD598 - coming from the M50, you'll notice a huge soundstage, with far superior midrange - vocals. I still haven't heard a phone that beats it in the midrange aspect. Love the treble and soundstage of this can. Bass may disappoint you. Smooth signature (like with all Senn) may be a turn-off if you're not used to it. Comfort is fantastic. 

Q701 - virtually a HD 598 that is more amp dependent... and I consider it to be inferior. 

D2000 - sounds a lot like the m50, but better. Less of a recessed midrange, though it's still pretty recessed, but far better bass and treble performance. Soundstage is far bigger and deeper than the M50's. It's a "closed" design but it's actually more open. Awful noise isolation. Treble was fatiguing. Comfort is fantastic. 

HD600 - hard to find for a good price but the most neutral dynamic driver can. A bit small in soundstage for an open back to be honest. Good midrange performance. 

HD650 - better soundstage than the HD600 but it's more expensive, very amp dependent (voltage wise), worse bass imo (texture and quantity), treble a little too rolled off imo, very relaxing. Good midrange although bass often takes the spotlight inappropriately. 

HE-400 - very popular can these days. I never actually heard this one but they are better than the D2000 from review comparisons I've been reading 

DT 880/ 600 - sort of suffers from the same problems (recessed midrange/ harsh treble) as many other high class cans but very nice airy sound, great imaging. Slightly more bass than the HD598 or the Q701. Comfort is fantastic. 

DT 990/ 600 - never owned one but apparently really nice soundstage, a bit notorious for V- shaped sound. Comfort is fantastic. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Noise isolation perhaps? I used my HD25 for that purpose for years. I find them comfortable for many hours, but many dislike the on ear clamping. Theres the K550 but it has a long cord, and the upcoming Senn' Momentum.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 52
Thanks a lot for the replies.

The Denon D6000 isn't availablew in EU yet.
For isolation I have my Shure IEMs.

I'm leaning towards the 598, what with the praise galore that comes with Senn HDs, and the easy drive.
Plus, I effin' love the way they look.

Could the bass be fixed with a Fiio E10, or EQ? How does it compare to the M50s?

EDIT
I can get these with 240$. Deal?

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 52
The 598 look way way worse in person IMO and are also open/semi so you are NOT going to get the isolation you are after. I would look into the K550 and an amp/DAC

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 52
Thanks a lot for the replies.

The Denon D6000 isn't availablew in EU yet.
For isolation I have my Shure IEMs.

I'm leaning towards the 598, what with the praise galore that comes with Senn HDs, and the easy drive.
Plus, I effin' love the way they look.

Could the bass be fixed with a Fiio E10, or EQ? How does it compare to the M50s?

EDIT
I can get these with 240$. Deal?
get the HE400's!

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:
They are great but open while OP wants closed

OP changed his mind actually, if you read a few posts down. So in the open category the HE400s will be the top contender, significantly better than the HD598's.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 52
Well, looks to me like everyone else is just throwing regularly recommended open headphones around, which are... absolutely horrible at noise isolation. And I don't see how OP has changed his mind.

In my opinions, it comes down to these 2:

1) Audio Technica ATH-ES10: closed, over-ear, portable, and in my opinions, it cleanly beats DT880 in sound quality. Highly recommended... especially since you like M50. I think ES10 is a whole class above M50 in almost everything. For music, these are excellent. They are so so for gaming and movies. Best of all: no amp required. Plays well with anything.

2) Denon D2000/5000: they leak quite a bit (more than M50), but not as bad as open headphones. And they sound awesome, though strident at times. For music, they are quite good. For gaming and movies, I think they are as good as can be for closed headphones. Amp required to bring out bass as some sources lack power. Another drawback is they ain't portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back