Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 9, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #2,266 of 2,311
. . . a little off the latest topic but I just fired up the PRO 780i [w/Geekria hybrid pads] with the Lake People RS-08 and am currently enjoying Camille Saint-Saëns' Phaéton Op. 39.

These budget wonders from Ultrasone could potentially become my end game!

:blush:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #2,267 of 2,311
These cans are the weirdest headphones I've ever encountered

I've never heard a headphone change so much with "burn in" before.

These go from sounding like tin cans to sounding like world beaters

I've never heard such a strange headphone in my life. I had already read from the extensive review The Ultrasone Edition-5 - "The WOW Factor" - Completed Review that these require crazy amounts of hours to come into form.

I bought these with approx 50 hours which were only used to test cables (Whiplash/ alo cables

I've only put probably another ten hours so I'm a long way from these being in true form.

I'm just glad that I know what they are capable of because otherwise I'd already have moved on and would have missed out on what I believe to be one of the best headphones on the planet. Imo of course.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #2,268 of 2,311
That is very strange that you yourself recognize they sound not so good, but then begin to sound really good. I wonder what the real explanation is with it. It can't be all burn-in. It wouldn't flip back and forth if it's all burn-in. Maybe it is the positioning and S-logic implementation? I know some Ultrasones can change quite a bit depending on the exact spot your ear is within the cup. And that ED 5 has the really unique funnel shape s-logic thing going on - I really wonder if the inconsistency you describe here stems from that.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #2,269 of 2,311
That is very strange that you yourself recognize they sound not so good, but then begin to sound really good. I wonder what the real explanation is with it. It can't be all burn-in. It wouldn't flip back and forth if it's all burn-in. Maybe it is the positioning and S-logic implementation? I know some Ultrasones can change quite a bit depending on the exact spot your ear is within the cup. And that ED 5 has the really unique funnel shape s-logic thing going on - I really wonder if the inconsistency stems from that.
All I can conclude from my experience and from the reviews I've read is that eventually the inconsistencies eventually go away. Time will tell if that is the case for me. But man are they worth it! They are magnificent sounding imo. Hard to recommend because of them being finicky but if your willing to bear with them they will reward you imo

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #2,270 of 2,311
Have you tried edition 8 EX? It also had the funnel shape S-logic. I thought it sounded pretty special too. But very expensive.

I just kind of ended up at a place where things like HE-500 and HE6SE are so good to me that it never feels worth it when I shell out any more money from a cost basis perspective. I've found little that sound two or three steps better to make the justification in my mind. There are headphones that do certain things marginally better, but as an all around, top to bottom perspective, I'm kind of just stuck here and have been for some time now. Which is perfectly fine, it's not a bad thing in reality :)

I actually just had an LCD-X come in and I found the bass particularly really fantastic on them. But then the highs were lacking compared to either Hifiman headphone.

The Hifiman sounded more correct, to me. LCD-X just didn't have the same air on the top. It just wasn't worth keeping to me as I think the Hifiman present a fuller picture of the whole spectrum.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #2,271 of 2,311
Hmm no but came close to buying a pair maybe one day. As far as ultrasone I've owned or own Edition 11, Sig Dj, EdM black pearl now Ed5. I was just looking to finish my last piece and that is endgame closed back and I think I found it. I'm content with my main headphones like you are so this was just the cherry on top lol.

I had the he6se as well fantastic Headphones:)

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #2,272 of 2,311
Yeah, the 6SE, paired with an amp that mates well with it is an endgame headphone. It can be a bit tricky getting a great pairing with them as they lean a little bright to me stock, so I don't quite enjoy them as much on brighter amps. But get the pairing right and you're going to struggle to find an upgrade anywhere near that price, IMO. They kind of just do everything, really well.

That's great you found a closed endgame. Closed gets harder, for sure. The sound changes a lot when you close the cup - especially the sound staging and openness.

Ultrasone does an incredible job with closed backs though - I'm not surprised you found it with an Ultrasone. Ultrasone titanium plated drivers are fast, detailed, crisp and they do a wonderful job. I wonder how you'd like the Natural - to me it's like the best monitor sound, picks up so much small detail and stays so tight and controlled with some great punch. It is like the culmination of everything I've loved about Ultrasone, crisp, tight, punchy - but it does it the best of all their models to my ears.

It's a headphone I feel that would be incredibly good as a tool for like an audio producer due to the way it clearly and tightly shows you everything in a track. Bass is so tight and defined. It's really just like the best monitoring sound I've heard, not sure how to really put it better than that.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #2,273 of 2,311
Yeah, the 6SE, paired with an amp that mates well with it is an endgame headphone. It can be a bit tricky getting a great pairing with them as they lean a little bright to me stock, so I don't quite enjoy them as much on brighter amps. But get the pairing right and you're going to struggle to find an upgrade anywhere near that price, IMO. They kind of just do everything, really well.

That's great you found a closed endgame. Closed gets harder, for sure. The sound changes a lot when you close the cup - especially the sound staging and openness.

Ultrasone does an incredible job with closed backs though - I'm not surprised you found it with an Ultrasone. Ultrasone titanium plated drivers are fast, detailed, crisp and they do a wonderful job. I wonder how you'd like the Natural - to me it's like the best monitor sound, picks up so much small detail and stays so tight and controlled with some great punch. It is like the culmination of everything I've loved about Ultrasone, crisp, tight, punchy - but it does it the best of all their models to my ears.

It's a headphone I feel that would be incredibly good as a tool for like an audio producer due to the way it clearly and tightly shows you everything in a track. Bass is so tight and defined. It's really just like the best monitoring sound I've heard, not sure how to really put it better than that.
I was actually looking at the Master as well as the Natural I just didn't find a deal on one before I landed on Ed5. I'll probably buy more ultrasones though as I feel they are highly underrated and I think their transparency rivals some of the best.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #2,274 of 2,311
I have access to a considerably cheap 2nd hand edition 5 ltd but still dont want to pull the trigger because i cant stand the treble. I do have the edition M and love it though. I think i need to listen to the ed 5 more with a different setups and see if it changes my view.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #2,275 of 2,311
I agree, the 5 was rather bright. But also for me, it had like an extreme lack of bass which I was not used to from Ultrasone.

2900 could be pretty bright too - that you appear to own. Although I have come to learn, it is all about setup and amp too which determines the end result.

Headphone brightness can be tamed or accentuated depending on the amp and a warm leaning or bright leaning headphone can benefit to taste from one vs. the other.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #2,276 of 2,311
I have access to a considerably cheap 2nd hand edition 5 ltd but still dont want to pull the trigger because i cant stand the treble. I do have the edition M and love it though. I think i need to listen to the ed 5 more with a different setups and see if it changes my view.

Wow id love to be pointed in the direction of a limited if you decide not the buy it lol

I loved the Ed M as well, however I owned the smaller on ear it was still really really good

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #2,277 of 2,311
I agree, the 5 was rather bright. But also for me, it had like an extreme lack of bass which I was not used to from Ultrasone.

2900 could be pretty bright too - that you appear to own. Although I have come to learn, it is all about setup and amp too which determines the end result.

Headphone brightness can be tamed or accentuated depending on the amp and a warm leaning or bright leaning headphone can benefit to taste from one vs. the other.

So strange about the bass, I've run mine so far from my Alpha Kahn, Flux Volot, Kinki studio thr1 and they sound nice and full with pulsating bass lol

Could it of been a seal issue you think? Or like you said earlier it could be just a placement issue due to S logic

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #2,279 of 2,311

I agree that pro 2900 is bright but ed 5 is brighter and a bit smoother as i remember. I can just put a felt in front of the driver and all the peakiness are gone though. Need to test it on ed 5..

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #2,280 of 2,311
I'm also selling a excellent condition Signature Dj for 199.00 if anyone's interested
I'd suggest putting it on Ebay and boost the price.

Ebay seems to have much more an appreciation for Ultrasone headphones than over here.

Sometimes, it is weird how this works but it's a different demographic or something.

There's deff Ultrasone buyers over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back