Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Oct 29, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #2,236 of 2,312
I recently contacted them about getting replacement pads for my Ultrasone Edition 11 headphones. It took me about a week before they responded. They gave me a quote in US Dollars to ship to Florida, but then sent me an invoice in Euros. It took another couple of days to get a reply as to which was correct. In the end, they only go through PayPal for payment, with emailing you an invoice for the amount. They wanted $120 for the pads and another $40 for shipping to Florida. It is even more costly going through PayPal for payment since they do an upcharge from US Dollars to Euros before the final payment. In the end, I felt it was too costly. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find any replacement pads for Ultrasone headphones other than going through them.

Their website is horrible and customer service is archaic. Hard to believe that such a popular headphone company has such poor service for getting replacement parts.
Do you have any specific ultrasone contacts? I emailed them through info@ultrasone.com but dont get answered since may.
From what ive tried, their website store cant seem to take orders from asia.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #2,237 of 2,312
Do you have any specific ultrasone contacts? I emailed them through info@ultrasone.com but dont get answered since may.
From what ive tried, their website store cant seem to take orders from asia.
I just checked my email to them and that is the same email address that I used. I would keep trying, as I don't think they have many people in customer service and therefore it takes them a while to follow-up. Their website is useless, in that no replacements parts can be purchased from there. I personally think it has been years since they have bothered to update it since it shows that you can purchase the Edition 11 from them new, when that hasn't been the case since they were released 3-4 year ago.

Btw, in my search for replacement pads, there were some models that were available on other websites. I don't recall where, but I do know that the pads were limited to only a few models.

It just seems that they don't treat customer service as a priority...

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #2,238 of 2,312
I believe that there used to be a U.S. based point-of-contact for Ultrasone, but that disappeared a long while back. The last two Ultrasone retail purchases I have made were from overseas: PRO 2900i [UK] and Edition 11 [Japan].

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #2,239 of 2,312
I have gotten after market replacement ear pads for the lower tier Ultrasones [e.g. Geekria hybrid oval for the 780i PRO]. Not sure if Geekria and/or Dekoni offer anything for Ultrasone's "luxury" line, though.

It's surprising that Ultrasone's customer service is so poor.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #2,240 of 2,312
Doing a quick a/b: Edition 11 v. MM-500.

cable: NeoTech UPOCC 4x 22AWG solid core copper
amplifier: Schiit LYR+ w/mil-spec 6DG8 [6922 equivalent] tube
dac: Mojo Audio Mystique Gen.1 [nos w/XMOS 24/196 usb]
tracks [Spotify]: Pat Metheny, Letter From Home, "Spring Ain't Here"; Bob James & Earl Klugh, Cool, "San Diego Stomp", Touchdown, "Caribbean Nights"

Edition 11:
>excellent separation, layering and imaging
>excellent dynamic range/balance with respect to maintaining sonic character of each element at different SPLs and keeping integrity of the mix [the 11's overall presentation, to my ears, seems neither too forward nor too laid back, but "just right"]
>excellent frequency balance
>beautiful tonal balance
>detailed, extended, well-controlled and non-fatiguing
>excellent resolution

MM-500:
>superior separation, layering and imaging: more 3D, deeper, but not as wide/vast a soundstage [as the 11]; superior overall coherency [all parts coordinated/interacting well together]
>dynamic range excellent but forward overall and not as nuanced/well-differentiated [as the 11]
>more neutral frequency balance
>more neutral tonal balance, with slightly drier overall tonality
>superior detail retrieval, superior extension and control--bass extension and control in particular, but upper midrange/lower treble can be sharp at times
>superior resolution

NOTE 1: I haven't listened to the MM-500 in almost a month, so a "second honeymoon" phase might still be in effect.
NOTE 2: The Elevens are connected with a UPOCC silver mini XLR-to-2 pin adapter.

"Gun-to-the-head" preference: Audeze MM-500.
. . . but the Elevens aren't going anywhere, either . . .

. . . more to follow . . . (?)

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #2,241 of 2,312
Doing a quick a/b: Edition 11 v. MM-500.

cable: NeoTech UPOCC 4x 22AWG solid core copper
amplifier: Schiit LYR+ w/mil-spec 6DG8 [6922 equivalent] tube
dac: Mojo Audio Mystique Gen.1 [nos w/XMOS 24/196 usb]
tracks [Spotify]: Pat Metheny, Letter From Home, "Spring Ain't Here"; Bob James & Earl Klugh, Cool, "San Diego Stomp", Touchdown, "Caribbean Nights"

Edition 11:
>excellent separation, layering and imaging
>excellent dynamic range/balance with respect to maintaining sonic character of each element at different SPLs and keeping integrity of the mix [the 11's overall presentation, to my ears, seems neither too forward nor too laid back, but "just right"]
>excellent frequency balance
>beautiful tonal balance
>detailed, extended, well-controlled and non-fatiguing
>excellent resolution

MM-500:
>superior separation, layering and imaging: more 3D, deeper, but not as wide a soundstage [as the 11]; superior overall coherency [all parts coordinated/interacting well together]
>dynamic range excellent but forward overall and not as nuanced/well-differentiated [as the 11]
>more neutral frequency balance
>more neutral tonal balance, with slightly drier overall tonality
>superior detail retrieval, superior extension and control--bass extension and control in particular, but upper midrange/lower treble can be sharp at times
>superior resolution

NOTE 1: I haven't listened to the MM-500 in almost a month, so a "second honeymoon" phase might still be in effect.
NOTE 2: The Elevens are connected with a UPOCC silver mini XLR-to-2 pin adapter.

"Gun-to-the-head" preference: Audeze MM-500.
. . . but the Elevens aren't going anywhere, either . . .

. . . more to follow . . . (?)

Thanks for the review. Its no surprise that mm-500 is better technically, because i think its one of the best headphone bargain on todays market.

Anyway how much did you pay for the eleven and where’d you get it?

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #2,242 of 2,312
Have put the Eleven back in, except this time at LOW gain. Better.

They do offer a bit of extra-honed treble energy [compared to the MM-500], but it is always informative, never strident, with an elegant touch of upper frequency sparkle (which I happen to really enjoy--after all, I'm a bona fide Ultrasone fan(boy!).

The 11's dynamic deftness and sweet, sophisticated tonality prove an ever-winsome combination, setting them uniquely apart.

Honestly, I could keep either the Eleven/former or the MM-500/latter on for the rest of the evening.

[ . . . AND I am electing the former.]

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #2,243 of 2,312
Thanks for the review. Its no surprise that mm-500 is better technically, because i think its one of the best headphone bargain on todays market.

You're welcome.
Got the 11 from a seller in Japan off eBay. I'll have to double check as-to which seller and how much, and get back to you..

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #2,244 of 2,312
You're welcome.
Got the 11 from a seller in Japan off eBay. I'll have to double check as-to which seller and how much, and get back to you..
I assume that you haven't needed to get replacement pads for your Edition 11? I tried to find other replacements, other than going through Ultrasone, but didn't find any. They are attached with an adhesive ring and look like they should be common with another headphone. I found that Dekoni has the adhesive ring, but I didn't find a proper pad. I quite like the pad, very comfortable. My headphone pads are still in good shape and I wouldn't even bother to get replacements other than the fact that I enjoy this headphone immensely, so I am hoping I can use it for many years to come. I might have to just beak down and order them from Ultrasone, then have them shipped to Florida at ~$175 with shipping included.

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #2,245 of 2,312
Yes.
The old "spare parts" scheme: I, like you, do not yet need a pad replacement but try to maintain the Eleven as best I can to avoid excessive (and premature) expenditures.

Paid $725, including NYS sales tax and shipping from Japan, eBay seller: kantetu_store_japan.
Most, if not all, of the Edition 11 for sale on the web are in Japan.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2,246 of 2,312
I assume that you haven't needed to get replacement pads for your Edition 11? I tried to find other replacements, other than going through Ultrasone, but didn't find any. They are attached with an adhesive ring and look like they should be common with another headphone. I found that Dekoni has the adhesive ring, but I didn't find a proper pad. I quite like the pad, very comfortable. My headphone pads are still in good shape and I wouldn't even bother to get replacements other than the fact that I enjoy this headphone immensely, so I am hoping I can use it for many years to come. I might have to just beak down and order them from Ultrasone, then have them shipped to Florida at ~$175 with shipping included.
The Dekoni or Geekria XL round ear pads won't work?
Haven't needed replacement pads yet, and try to take good care of the Eleven to prolong useable life.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #2,247 of 2,312
Yes.
The old "spare parts" scheme: I, like

Paid $725, including NYS sales tax and shipping from Japan, eBay seller: kantetu_store_japan.
Most, if not all, of the Edition 11 for sale on the web are in Japan.
Thats a really good price. I just checked the store but unfortunately the sellers cant shipped to my country, my country has just implement a very (strangely) strict regulation of importing goods from international marketplace. i hope i can find a way somehow buying from outside my country.🤞

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,248 of 2,312
I have seen the Eleven on eBay, used and in excellent condition, for as little as $630 USD (taxes/shipping included).
(Of course, I saw the one for $630 immediately after I purchased mine!)

If you don't mind me asking, in which country do you live?

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,249 of 2,312
I have seen the Eleven on eBay, used and in excellent condition, for as little as $630 USD (taxes/shipping included).
(Of course, I saw the one for $630 immediately after I purchased mine!)

If you don't mind me asking, in which country do you live?
I currently live in indonesia. But in a couple of months my office is planning to place me on a branch office outside of my country, maybe at that time i can actually buy from ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back