The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #11,116 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose all will become clear when I get the Lambda Pro's.

I understand all doesn't become truly clear until you have a KGBH-SE and O2 Mk1
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #11,117 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, by dint of garnering the most nominations, and if we are honest, for being the most ardent Staxen this side of Miyoshi-machi, takes the ES-1.

Birgir is also well qualified to diagnose ES-1 issues and disseminate such knowledge to other owners.

Congratulations then to Birgir.

Many thanks to those of you who took the time to weigh in with your nominations, I appreciate it.

Birgir Congrats!!!!!!!!

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #11,118 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was impossible to do with them all in different rooms with different phones. Here is what I can say.

The KGBH SE - I only heard it with O2 Mk1 and it was the best with those. I have never felt that kind of solid foundation to the sound from the power that it had to offer. I felt like I was driving a 500 hp muscle car at 55mph on the highway and never really opened her up.

The Woo WES I heard with O2 Mk2 and it was the best amp with the Mk2 (because I skipped the Mk2 on KGBH). The Jade off the WES were not as good as the O2 Mk2, or as good as the Jade on the A-10 or ES-2 that I tried. It just seemed duller to me than mine at home or in the other rooms. The Mk2 on the WES did surprise me very much - nice! Considering the prototype was limited in power and voltage swing to GES levels, I was pleased with it.

The RSA A-10 sounded better with Jade than O2 Mk2, and the Jade on A-10 were better than Jade on WES, and A-10 was even better with HE90. The HE60 Ray had were too bright and didn't do it for me (modded).

The HE90/Jade/O2/O1 off the ES-2 (neilvg or bublis rig) were all very nice. I think the A-10 did the HE-90 a little better.

I missed Frank's amp - I have no other impressions other than what I wrote down - just not enough time.

Thanks for the summary of the 3 electrostatic amps.
regular_smile .gif
Wonder what the Woo will sound like with more power! Read somewhere that it is running the stat phones on 400v for the prototype but the production models will be increased by double - but I stand corrected.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #11,120 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, by dint of garnering the most nominations, and if we are honest, for being the most ardent Staxen this side of Miyoshi-machi, takes the ES-1.

Congratulations Birgir! Well deserved...
...and hats off to Kane for this very generous gesture.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #11,123 of 24,807
Congrats Birgir, there really is no better home for the amp and giving it to you is really a service to the community. Keep us posted.

I guess I could also praise Afrikane for his generosity, but really, what words will suffice? What do we say? Babbling about it is completely pointless so I will just quietly raise a toast in his honor. You, sir, are the man.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #11,125 of 24,807
I just received an Omega 2 Mk I in the mail today, which I will compare against an O2 Mk II that came last week. The Mk II is almost new, while the Mk I has been used quite a bit. The headband for the Mk II is quite tight, while the headband for the Mk I is very loose - so loose it's distracting.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement headband for the O2 Mk I? I tried checking Audiocubes2, and saw several replacement Stax headbands, but none for the O2. Similarly, Yama's Inc. had no O2 headbands listed. Would another model headphone have the same headband?

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #11,127 of 24,807
Also get new pads for that Mk1; pad condition really matters and while the leather will last forever the inner foam only lasts for a year or so. Even a few millimeters of driver-ear distance will make a difference in sound and pad condition directly affects that.

Second KuboTen, that's where I got my O2 and Craig is awesome to do business with.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #11,129 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has everyone seen that fantastic bargain on ebay? Stax SR-44 for US$44!! damn...

Not me!
But then again I am not interested and have not searched eBay to find it...
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #11,130 of 24,807
If the headband is too loose for you, you could just shorten it. Very easily done. For me the MK I did fit perfectly, the MK II however was much too tight. I had to buy an elastic with similar properties and make a band of it that was about 4 cm longer. Together with bending the arcs of the MK II this didn't only help to improve the fit but the sound, too. First I almost couldn't stand them, now I find them quite decent. Still, most of the time I prefer the MK I or, more recently, the 4070.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Crash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received an Omega 2 Mk I in the mail today, which I will compare against an O2 Mk II that came last week. The Mk II is almost new, while the Mk I has been used quite a bit. The headband for the Mk II is quite tight, while the headband for the Mk I is very loose - so loose it's distracting.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement headband for the O2 Mk I? I tried checking Audiocubes2, and saw several replacement Stax headbands, but none for the O2. Similarly, Yama's Inc. had no O2 headbands listed. Would another model headphone have the same headband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back