The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #11,101 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to applaud both your choice and generosity.
beerchug.gif

agreed ..dB

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #11,102 of 24,807
Thanks a lot Kane.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be checking to see if any of my countrymen are sending a knörr to do some plundering down south...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re: 717 shut-off. Mine did so a few months back. The amp needed to be opened and a few years accumulation of dust blown off the innards. Evidently a thermal protective circuit shut-down.

That certainly could be the issue. Time to fire up the air compressor...

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #11,103 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That certainly could be the issue. Time to fire up the air compressor...

Leave it on! The extra pressure will help push more power out through the headphone socket. Thus 717=BHSE! Trust me, I have a degree! (In social anthropology)

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #11,105 of 24,807
just known my setup actually has its own official name ^_^

http://www.stax.co.jp/JPG/Sys-W.jpg

this is my first stax setup, I can not say much about how good it is compare to others staxs (never owned any before)

but all my audios technicas / sennheisers/akgs.....are definitely going on yahoo auction~
lambda.gif
(will eventually sell everything but a rx700)

so yes, stax is pretty much perfect for me~

a lot of time was spent on that old stax thread , and I started to bid for stax phones at around the 20th page ~

my whole setup is powerbook - echo mona 24 -- srm-t1w ---sr-404

in the old stax thread , people says the 404 is not as good as the lambda pro or the lambda signature.

my amp is srm-t1w , so base on my amp can anybody tell if it is worth to upgrade / downgrade to lambda pro or the signature?

or do I have to upgrade the amp to match anything?

and why did they stop this whole 5050 thing? quite confusing ....
confused_face(1).gif

back to the issue with this looooooooooooooong thread~

it is really really hard to keep up with all this posts,

maybe, people active in thread should post their individual idea on each set up, or it might be a good idea to start posting about some of the stax more in the regular full sub-forum , I guess the 2020 or 3030 could be just perfect for some of the regular-hi-fiers.

just some personal opinion.

Thanks a lot for all this work here.

best regards

GearGeek

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #11,106 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by GearGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my amp is srm-t1w , so base on my amp can anybody tell if it is worth to upgrade / downgrade to lambda pro or the signature?

or do I have to upgrade the amp to match anything?

and why did they stop this whole 5050 thing?

To be honest, only you can decide that. Do you like what you are hearing? Then there is no reason to upgrade, simple as that
wink_face.gif

Some people do not like the midrange 'etch' developed by the SR-404 but there are several other choices, for example if you would like a relaxed kind of presentation the Lamba Nova Signature (little correction: the T1W and the LNS form the SRS-5050 system together, not the later SR-404) should be a good choice. The Lambda Signature is also interesting, although it can be very aggressive with the T1W. But it is generally a good amp, should match well with other Lambdas, too, like the oldest one, the SR-Lambda which is still regarded as one of the best of the whole family.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #11,107 of 24,807
Thanks for your fast reply , will look for and try them one by one ( i am in japan though )
SR-Λ
Sr-A pro
SR-Λ Signature
SR-ΛSprit Package
Lambda Nova Signature
Lambda Nova CLASSIC
sr-404
sr-404 LTD

I guess what i list above is pretty much the entire family ~

SR-ΛSprit Package
Lambda Nova Signature
sr-404 LTD

how does this 3 compare with my sr-404,

moreover SR-ΛSprit Package , is the SR-ΛSprit a different product again? or a copy of one of the old SR-Λ (this is all really confusing )

btw how long can a electrostatic phone last ?

Thanks a lot

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #11,111 of 24,807
Is there a good Stax headphone out there, with sparkling highs, slightly forward, warm mids and deep, high-impact bass at about 500 dollars lol? I really want something aggressive but NOT as aggressive as grado.I want something that is good for electronic/alternative/dance/hip hop.

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #11,112 of 24,807
Is there a full review written somewhere on the different presentations of the 4 electrostatic amps (BHSE, Woo WES, A-10 and Frank Cooter's electrostatic amp) displayed at canjam? There have been comments written here and there but I am unable to find an all in one article/posts review so far. I might have missed it. Can anyone direct me to that page please, if there is one?

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #11,113 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by leaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a full review written somewhere on the different presentations of the 4 electrostatic amps (BHSE, Woo WES, A-10 and Frank Cooter's electrostatic amp) displayed at canjam? There have been comments written here and there but I am unable to find an all in one article/posts review so far. I might have missed it. Can anyone direct me to that page please, if there is one?

That was impossible to do with them all in different rooms with different phones. Here is what I can say.

The KGBH SE - I only heard it with O2 Mk1 and it was the best with those. I have never felt that kind of solid foundation to the sound from the power that it had to offer. I felt like I was driving a 500 hp muscle car at 55mph on the highway and never really opened her up.

The Woo WES I heard with O2 Mk2 and it was the best amp with the Mk2 (because I skipped the Mk2 on KGBH). The Jade off the WES were not as good as the O2 Mk2, or as good as the Jade on the A-10 or ES-2 that I tried. It just seemed duller to me than mine at home or in the other rooms. The Mk2 on the WES did surprise me very much - nice! Considering the prototype was limited in power and voltage swing to GES levels, I was pleased with it.

The RSA A-10 sounded better with Jade than O2 Mk2, and the Jade on A-10 were better than Jade on WES, and A-10 was even better with HE90. The HE60 Ray had were too bright and didn't do it for me (modded).

The HE90/Jade/O2/O1 off the ES-2 (neilvg or bublis rig) were all very nice. I think the A-10 did the HE-90 a little better.

I missed Frank's amp - I have no other impressions other than what I wrote down - just not enough time.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #11,114 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good day for Head-Fi. Afrikane once again shows his remarkable generosity. And spritzer receives well-deserved acknowledgment for patiently sharing his knowledge and helping so many of us get into 'stats. Cheers to both of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to applaud both your choice and generosity.
beerchug.gif

X 3. Two outstanding Stax-ophiles helping us all with the sharing of equipment and knowledge. Congrats spritzer and thanks Afrikane.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #11,115 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many speakers do you have plugged into the A set of outlets? There should only be one and A should be off when B is on.

Otherwise it sounds either like 1) an impedance mismatch between the power amp and transformer. Is there an impedance output switch? Or 2) everything's ok but your phones have a treble peak which enhances hiss.

The A set has 5 speakers plugged into it. I always turn A off when B is on.

There is no impedance output switch. There is a speaker setting in the OSD which allows you to switch between small and large speakers, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to anything. So I guess it must just be a treble peak in the Gamma's?

I suppose all will become clear when I get the Lambda Pro's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back