The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #11,088 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see.

Do you think there's anything I can can do to minimize hiss from my current speaker amp, like grounding or something? It's pretty high quality (NAD T744). The hiss isn't present in speakers coming direct from the amp.

Also, I'm using the SRD-7 from the Speaker B outputs, so having speakers plugged in to the SRD-7 itself is not necessary since it's the only thing on Speaker B. All my other speakers are on Speaker A. Would this affect anything?

How many speakers do you have plugged into the A set of outlets? There should only be one and A should be off when B is on.

Otherwise it sounds either like 1) an impedance mismatch between the power amp and transformer. Is there an impedance output switch? Or 2) everything's ok but your phones have a treble peak which enhances hiss.

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #11,089 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All amps can break down but this the first issue I've ever known about. I just cycled the power on my unit and it worked instantly so it may just have been a Monday thing...

The only problem I had with my 717 was when I first got it - it powered up and immediately blew a fuse. replaced the fuse and no problems since. Maybe a faulty fuse? Hope your amp is OK Spritzer. Maybe your line voltage browned out?

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #11,090 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem I had with my 717 was when I first got it - it powered up and immediately blew a fuse. replaced the fuse and no problems since. Maybe a faulty fuse? Hope your amp is OK Spritzer. Maybe your line voltage browned out?

No fuse issues since the amp powered up and the bias supply was working but there was no sound. The only time the power system here would ever come close to a brown out is on Christmas Eve but it will never happen, the built in overhead is so immense. My unit also has the original fuse for 100v operation so it is at least 2.3 times too big.
redface.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #11,091 of 24,807
Spritzer, by dint of garnering the most nominations, and if we are honest, for being the most ardent Staxen this side of Miyoshi-machi, takes the ES-1.

Birgir is also well qualified to diagnose ES-1 issues and disseminate such knowledge to other owners.

Congratulations then to Birgir.

Many thanks to those of you who took the time to weigh in with your nominations, I appreciate it.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #11,093 of 24,807
He has most likely gone off to seek out a Cape Town to Reykjavik bound Knarr
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #11,094 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, by dint of garnering the most nominations, and if we are honest, for being the most ardent Staxen this side of Miyoshi-machi, takes the ES-1.

Birgir is also well qualified to diagnose ES-1 issues and disseminate such knowledge to other owners.

Congratulations then to Birgir.

Many thanks to those of you who took the time to weigh in with your nominations, I appreciate it.

I would like to applaud both your choice and generosity.
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #11,097 of 24,807
That is very cool AfriKane!
Congrats Birgir!!!

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #11,098 of 24,807
Congratulations to Birgir. I had an extended listen to MIKEYMAD's ES1 at CANJAM with the 007, 007A and Sigma/404 and his was a very sweet amp. As I recall he had Mullard tubes (not too sure what these are though).

Three things really struck me:

1) the effortless handling of high volume treble (compared to my 717), what was distorted on the 717 was clear on the ES1.

2) the remarkable differentiation of the source instruments or voice vs the ambience. In visual perception one would talk about "figure" vs "ground." In other words one had a very clear ability to hear these as virtually separate audible entities.

Finally 3) the ES1 gave better control of the Sigma/404 to the extent that the difference between it and the 007/007A was considerably reduced(John Buchanan please note). The Sigma/404 became almost as much a detail phone as the 007/007A.

Comparing the ES1 to the BHSE, the BHSE had more PRAT. It seemed to have a significantly drier, punchier sound. But I didn't get as much time with the BHSE and couldn't really make a good comparison.

Re: 717 shut-off. Mine did so a few months back. The amp needed to be opened and a few years accumulation of dust blown off the innards. Evidently a thermal protective circuit shut-down.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #11,099 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto. I'm still debating turning it off to check what is actually wrong since it works right now...
redface.gif
It only eats about 50w so keeping in on indefinitely is an option.
tongue.gif

When I'm in periods of the O2 being the go-to headphone as I cycle through them I leave the 717 on 24/7.

Congrats also on getting the big black amp!

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #11,100 of 24,807
A good day for Head-Fi. Afrikane once again shows his remarkable generosity. And spritzer receives well-deserved acknowledgment for patiently sharing his knowledge and helping so many of us get into 'stats. Cheers to both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back