The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #11,056 of 24,807
Well, I believe that lambda is way more expensive than that one (more than $195).

No, I am not hungarian but I know a little (so little it is not even knowing
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #11,057 of 24,807
smily_headphones1.gif

Sometimes you may be able to snatch a good deal on eBay but the main problem is that the demand for it is higher for obvious reasons.
I just wouldn't be very surprised if you were disappointed in the SR-X because it will sound bad if either your source or your speaker amp (or even the quality of the recording) is not good enough for the job.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #11,058 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I have a question. How would the STAX SR-X MKIII compare to the Beyerdynamic DT48e?

EDIT: I am really looking for neutrality and "analytical sound". And I think the DT48E would be my kind of HP, but the stax one I have a nice deal for it.
EDIT2: I hope someone has heard both, that is
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the both of them but sold them both away. My 2 cents worth is that they are difficult to compare - one is dynamic and the other is electrostatic - music is presented differently. I found the DT48e (25ohms out of the B22) to be very detailed and shy in bass (relative to HD600). Sometimes too much details for me that I felt tired listening for more than 15min - 20 minutes. The weight of the headphones was the other issue. It was a little too heavy for me. THe SRX MkIII with SRD7 (out of the B22) was sweet and also shy in bass. Enjoyed them greatly for some types of music, but they were not my preference for some other types of music (faster and punchy type).

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #11,062 of 24,807
I have been out of stats for quite some time now and as a consequence thereof I have a Singlepower ES-1 amp gathering dust in storage; if any of you know of a die-hard stat maven that could fix this amp I would appreciate a PM.

I am not looking for any money for it; gratis/free in other words as we all stand to benifit from the knowledge gained from such an exercise.
As I would prefer that it goes to someone who has contributed significantly to the electostat lore here I reserve the right to choose who takes the amp.

The amp sort of worked the last time used I used it (when I had a last listen to my sorely missed SR-Ω); the major issue being that the bias drifts a bit requiring a tweak every time it is turned on. I am pretty sure a competent tech could diagnose and fix that issue though, perhaps even improve it a bit
redface.gif
Aesthetically there are a few dings and scratches but nothing too terrible. The amp is wired for 120V. I will include some tubes and adaptors.

PM ONLY PLEASE

SinglepowerES-1_6676.jpg

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #11,063 of 24,807
wow AfriKane, this is a very generous offer!!! Although of course I would like to be considered, I in no way expect it to go my way, as I am not much of a poster. I do have a suggestion tho. Why don't you do a loaner program like has been done by some headfiers and at the other forum? You can pick say your top 10 or so head-fi Stax fans and set it out across the world for some of us that would never have the opportunity to hear an ES1. Those in the "loaner program" could do a write up and then you pick the eventual winner...Just a thought.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #11,065 of 24,807
Tako, it's a nice idea but the die has been cast I am afraid.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #11,067 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than splitting the cost of shipping I am not looking for any money for it; gratis in other words.

wow!

your generosity as a head-fier is legendary.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #11,070 of 24,807
I think the hissing which I am hearing through the Gamma Pro's is in fact from my speaker amp, not the energizer or anything else, since it goes away when the volume on the speaker amp is turned to zero.

It's quite annoying. Is there any cheap speaker amp which can be used to drive an SRD-7 MK 2 without sounding crap, or would it be cheaper to just try find an SRM-1/MK2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back