The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #11,026 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt fury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but I did keep hearing something about $15k...

Ouch!
ph34r.gif

What a pity I didn't pay attention to it
redface.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #11,027 of 24,807
By the way, is there any agreeable improvement in any of the 2007 upgrades of the Stax lines? I mean the new II, or A, series. We've all read how 007A sounds colored and how badly 727A does the job. Of course there are some who prefer the new stuff but from what I've read, the consensus is that those are inferior to the older gear. Is there a can A or amp II that the majority of people actually prefer? I'm sure the company has had good reasons to do their changes in formulas but obviously some of these changes seem to be just stupid. Is there an exception?

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #11,028 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, is there any agreeable improvement in any of the 2007 upgrades of the Stax lines? I mean the new II, or A, series. We've all read how 007A sounds colored and how badly 727A does the job. Of course there are some who prefer the new stuff but from what I've read, the consensus is that those are inferior to the older gear. Is there a can A or amp II that the majority of people actually prefer? I'm sure the company has had good reasons to do their changes in formulas but obviously some of these changes seem to be just stupid. Is there an exception?

Stax has admitted that the 007A is just an 007 with black paint, real leather pads, and a different strain relief on the cable.

The way the strain relief fits in creates a vent that didn't exist in the 007. You can invisibly cure this with a wad of bluetak or a squirt of rtv silicone.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #11,029 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax has admitted that the 007A is just an 007 with black paint, real leather pads, and a different strain relief on the cable.

The way the strain relief fits in creates a vent that didn't exist in the 007. You can invisibly cure this with a wad of bluetak or a squirt of rtv silicone.

IIRC, spritzer wrote that even with the closed vent holes and with the earpads from 007, the 007II/007A sounds still different. IIRC, he assumed that Stax has changed something in the drivers.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #11,030 of 24,807
The drivers are different and the earpads are also taller which creates a nasty midrange coloration.

The amps are more of the same and the short time I spent with the 007tA I didn't notice any difference from memory. The 323 is a nice step above the 313 (or the horrible SRM-3) and I'm planning to buy a 727 to try and do some mods to it.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #11,031 of 24,807
I need a bit of advice. Thanks.

How tight should Lambdas sit on my head? The pair I've recently got feels pretty loose; also, they don't seem to seal that much around my ears.
Considering these must be original pads - they aren't totally in a bad shape, but shure are a bit stiff - should I expect an upgrade in SQ if I order a replacement pair from Audiocubes2?

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #11,032 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a bit of advice. Thanks.

How tight should Lambdas sit on my head? The pair I've recently got feels pretty loose; also, they don't seem to seal that much around my ears.
Considering these must be original pads - they aren't totally in a bad shape, but shure are a bit stiff - should I expect an upgrade in SQ if I order a replacement pair from Audiocubes2?

Bewteen minor changes in positioning of the driiver with new pads, a better seal and possibly new foam, I would expect some changes in sound. While the pads are cheaper at Audio cubes, the shipping is higher so they end up costing as much as from Yamasinc.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #11,035 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone now the difference between HeadAmp's first KGSS (1,500$ I think) and the current ones (2,400$)? I think the price difference must have some justifications.

The current price is $2295, not $2400

But here are the differences:
- DACT attenuators used instead of the cheaper eBay ones
- Far better assembly quality
- Almost 6 years of inflation and increased costs of all materials

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jun 4, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #11,036 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulations on the BHSE. I floated the price past my wife last night and it was quickly torpedoed. Maybe I can sell enough spare items to dig up the cash.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #11,037 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the confirmation, Justin.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #11,038 of 24,807
Hi I'm pretty new to the world of Stax, but I'm pretty sure I'll get something in the lambda family. Can anyone enlighten me as to the differences between the lambda, lambda pro, and the lambda signature? Is there a huge difference if I hooked up a lambda pro/signature to a normal bias adapter (e.g. srd-7)? Pro bias adapters are so expensive nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back