The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #11,041 of 24,807
Brief sound impressions on SR-Gamma Pro out of SRD7-Pro:

The detail and speed is remarkable, they pretty much achieve what I was looking for in that respect. You can focus on one instrument and just follow that if you want, everything is nicely separated. However, they're are very revealing of badly recorded music, Muse especially sounds bad on them from my experience. In direct comparison, the AD700's sound blurred.

The soundstage is very big horizontally and positioning is dead accurate. It appears to be even larger than the AD700's. However, they aren't as up-front and 'gradoey' as the AD700's, just a bit more laid back.

Midrange is quite good. Not as warm and 'plastickey' as the AD700's, much more neutral. Certainly not recessed and very detailed like the rest of the spectrum. The highs are sparkly and detailed and sound a bit less grainy than the AD700's.

The bass is very lacking until I start using my LD MK2 as a pre-amp, then it becomes a bit more noticeable. It extends quite deeply, but lacks punch much like the AD700. I have to say though, the AD700's do have more bass punch.

It's funny, going from the AD700's to the Gamma's is like going from 128k MP3 to FLAC, but I still find the AD700's extremely enjoyable and fun. They're nowhere NEAR as detailed and the separation isn't as good either, but they're still fun to listen to. I sorta prefer the upfrontedness too. The gamma's sound like they're a few rows back.

Oh also, I think the AD700's may have met there match for comfort. The Gamma's are pretty comfortable. And they don't itch like the AD700's do.

I'm hoping the Lambda Pro's will give me all of this and more
biggrin.gif

118hv5t.jpg

No, my tubes aren't purple, my camera just see's a different orange to me. But they sure do look cool that way
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #11,042 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brief sound impressions on SR-Gamma out of SRD7-Pro:

The detail and speed is remarkable, they pretty much achieve what I was looking for in that respect. You can focus on one instrument and just follow that if you want, everything is nicely separated. However, they're are very revealing of badly recorded music, Muse especially sounds bad on them from my experience. In direct comparison, the AD700's sound blurred.

The soundstage is very big horizontally and positioning is dead accurate. It appears to be even larger than the AD700's. However, they aren't as up-front and 'gradoey' as the AD700's, just a bit more laid back.

Midrange is quite good. Not as warm and 'plastickey' as the AD700's, much more neutral. Certainly not recessed and very detailed like the rest of the spectrum. The highs are sparkly and detailed and sound a bit less grainy than the AD700's.

The bass is very lacking until I start using my LD MK2 as a pre-amp, then it becomes a bit more noticeable. It extends quite deeply, but lacks punch much like the AD700. I have to say though, the AD700's do have more bass punch.

It's funny, going from the AD700's to the Gamma's is like going from 128k MP3 to FLAC, but I still find the AD700's extremely enjoyable and fun. They're nowhere NEAR as detailed and the separation isn't as good either, but they're still fun to listen to. I sorta prefer the upfrontedness too. The gamma's sound like they're a few rows back.

Oh also, I think the AD700's may have met there match for comfort. The Gamma's are pretty comfortable. And they don't itch like the AD700's do.

biggrin.gif

118hv5t.jpg

No, my tubes aren't purple, my camera just see's a different orange to me. But they sure do look cool that way
biggrin.gif

Gamma or Gamma Pro?

My Smeggified Gamma Pro (wood cup / Smegma Pro) give me all this and more.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #11,043 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gamma or Gamma Pro?

My Smeggified Gamma Pro (wood cup / Smegma Pro) give me all this and more.
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's a Gamma Pro. Edited.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #11,044 of 24,807
Quote:

My ears would hit the plastic struts in the grill of the Gamma Pro and were uncomfortable. That was the big reason for talking Smeggy into modding mine. The sound was also not as good as the Lambdas in terms of bass and treble extension, and not really better than my SR-5NB gold edition as much as it was different. Now they are closer to an ESP-950.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #11,045 of 24,807
Quote:

My ears would hit the plastic struts in the grill of the Gamma Pro and were uncomfortable. That was the big reason for talking Smeggy into modding mine. The sound was also not as good as the Lambdas in terms of bass and treble extension, and not really better than my SR-5NB gold edition as much as it was different. Now they are closer to an ESP-950.

How exactly were they modded? I can't mod them, since they're not mine, but still interested to know and maybe webbie64 (owner) will want to get them modded...

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #11,046 of 24,807
Quote:

How exactly were they modded? I can't mod them, since they're not mine, but still interested to know and maybe webbie64 (owner) will want to get them modded...

You are asking the wrong guy - I don't mod them, I just listen to them.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #11,047 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by SwatiShankar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spent three days searching for some common reason for this.its help me tnx bro

signature001.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't understand your posts, but spamming is gonna get you banned.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #11,048 of 24,807
Quote:

Brief sound impressions on SR-Gamma Pro out of SRD7-Pro:

biggrin.gif

118hv5t.jpg

biggrin.gif

Nice to see my new headphones.
tongue.gif

And a good succinct review, Fraseyboy. Thanks. It's in keeping with previous reviews on the Gamma Pro strengths and weaknesses and I'm glad you're enjoying those strengths
wink_face.gif
And I think, like others, that you wil find the Lambda Pros deliver even more of what you are seeking.

Quote:

There are two well publicised approaches to modding them, one exceptional and unique - the Smegma Pro, which HeadphoneAddict is (quite justifiably just on their uniqueness let alone the sound he enjoys from them) more than happy to brag about whenever the opportunity arises.
tongue.gif

Quote:

You are asking the wrong guy - I don't mod them, I just listen to them.
tongue.gif

Here's where you'll find more about how they look and sound, sound, sound.

The other option is really to take the Gamma Pro drivers and re-house them in an SRX-MkIII body to make an SRX-MkIII Pro. These are renowned for the SQ they provide.

As to what I'll decide to do, let me hear the genuine Gamma Pro first... (after you've had some time with it and your Lambda Pros of course
wink_face.gif
).

At least you've got some Stax to relish as the birthday (Lambda Pro) countdown continues.
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #11,050 of 24,807
Quote:

nice to see you enjoyed the staxs, and welcome abroad to the crew, I see you dealt with webbie, it seems like hes trying to convert everyone in australia to stax i guess :p

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #11,051 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice to see you enjoyed the staxs, and welcome abroad to the crew, I see you dealt with webbie, it seems like hes trying to convert everyone in australia to stax i guess :p

One at a time...

One at a time...

(only 21,805,672 Aussies to go
tongue.gif
)

And then, after Fraseyboy (and remember Carl's already there), we'll look at the remaining 4,173,460 New Zealanders
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #11,052 of 24,807
Hi guys, I have a question. How would the STAX SR-X MKIII compare to the Beyerdynamic DT48e?

EDIT: I am really looking for neutrality and "analytical sound". And I think the DT48E would be my kind of HP, but the stax one I have a nice deal for it.
EDIT2: I hope someone has heard both, that is
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #11,054 of 24,807
Szia padam

So where can I see the frequency curve of this HP. What is that way, just to know its existance. You seem to know a lot of this Stax, have you had these HPs or some Stax?

I don't know yet if I will be able to buy it (still need to get response), but I am quite interested in trying electrostatic.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #11,055 of 24,807
Yes I owned it along with a few others but there are people who are much more experienced than I am. All I know although it was uncomfortable and unforgiving, I still loved it, I am even beginning to miss it.

If your source isn't up to the job, you may be disappointed, a Normal bias Lambda is much better for starters - I think.

Are you Hungarian? (PM me if yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back