The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #11,146 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure that Yama's were at both the 2007 and 2008 CJ.

Really? I don't recall them being at 2008 CJ, but I don't exactly recall all that much from that whole weekend.
tongue_smile.gif
Could someone confirm?

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #11,147 of 24,807
Spritzer- Yes they were at Canjam 2007 and 2008. It just seems odd that they Yama is located less than 15 miles away from the LAX Hilton and they did not attend? I put in an inquiry to Yama but they did not respond. It's not such a big deal as there were many DIYers who brought Stax to Camjam 2009. I myself brought my Stax 4070s and my SRDX Pro; so I was able to walk around the whole Canjam 2009 with them. Enjoy Scottsmrnyc

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #11,148 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all

What is everybody's opinion of the SR202 Basic system. I got it to replace my SR-X MKIII and am not sure I made the right decision. I find it dare I say boring? Was I spoiled by the SRX MKIII? I have them (SRX MKIII) up for sale but am not sure I want to let them go now. I find myself not enjoying the music as much.
Can anyone comment as to why this would be? Is the amp that comes with this system not good enough? Will a better amp make these headphones better?
I know lots of questions but I am a little lost right now.

I think something similar was discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lon...sode-i-172611/

The sound of Lambda series headphones is not to everybody's liking and is very different from SR-X. If you want a genuine upgrade you would probably have to go with SR-007.

I personally prefer SR-X/SRM-313 to SR-202/KGSS for most things.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #11,149 of 24,807
Having owned the Sr-XmkIII and now the o2mk1, the o2 is the like a Sr-x mkIII with none of its flaws. The o2s have bass, soundstage while retaining the toe tapping fun of the Sr-x. I almost think the stax designers went back to the vault and ignored the sound from the lambda series. If you don't want to spend the money on the o2, keep the Sr-X and upgrade the source and the amp.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #11,150 of 24,807
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #11,151 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think something similar was discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lon...sode-i-172611/

The sound of Lambda series headphones is not to everybody's liking and is very different from SR-X. If you want a genuine upgrade you would probably have to go with SR-007.

I personally prefer SR-X/SRM-313 to SR-202/KGSS for most things.

That thread pretty much summed up how I feel about the SR-202. They are just not as much fun. I have put them up for sale and will be keeping my SRX MK3. I'll upgrade the power amp as and when I can.

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #11,152 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned the Sr-XmkIII and now the o2mk1, the o2 is the like a Sr-x mkIII with none of its flaws. The o2s have bass, soundstage while retaining the toe tapping fun of the Sr-x. I almost think the stax designers went back to the vault and ignored the sound from the lambda series. If you don't want to spend the money on the o2, keep the Sr-X and upgrade the source and the amp.

OK I kept the MK3. So now while I'm happily listening what should I be thinking of for an upgrade. My system is as follows;
Itunes(320k) > HotAudio USB DAC > Qinpu Q2 > SRD7>SRX MK3

Where's the best bang for the buck.

I've also never seen the O2 MK1 for sale. Are they rare?

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #11,155 of 24,807
Quote:

OK I kept the MK3. So now while I'm happily listening what should I be thinking of for an upgrade. My system is as follows;

They are not as common in that they do not come up for sale every other week but one was recently sold.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-uk-eu-428970/

Depending on the condition and the price, they can get snapped up quite quickly. The one that was just sold, was advertised for sale at US$1,100 I believe.

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #11,156 of 24,807
Jun 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #11,157 of 24,807
Quote:

You already have the best bang for the buck. Maybe if you get a good deal on an SR-Lambda you'll be happier.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #11,158 of 24,807
I have the SR-5NB, which I am told use the same drivers as the SR-X, and I found that with the old version of the 007t amp, the result is one of the most engaging rigs I've ever had. So, my thought is, a better amp might be a better investment than trying to find O2s, which you'll just end up under-driving.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #11,159 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new to STAX, but after listening to a few rigs at CanJam I recently purchased a pair of SR303s and I'm looking for an amplifier solution. I recently built a B22 (I've been getting spoiled) and I'm finishing it with speaker outputs so I was considering buying a used SRD-7/PRO or MKII and running it off of the speaker outs from the B22. My other option would be to buy a dedicated STAX amp such as a SRM 323.
Can anybody share their opinions on which would be a better sounding setup?
Also I understand that the SR303s are pro bias but are compatible with normal bias outputs. Would running them through a normal biased amp/energizer make a big difference compared to pro bias?
Thanks for any advice.

You tend to lose a lot of the dynamics when you run a Pro phone on a low bias set-up. The only pro phones I feel work well on a low bias system are the SR005.

Quote:

That thread pretty much summed up how I feel about the SR-202. They are just not as much fun. I have put them up for sale and will be keeping my SRX MK3. I'll upgrade the power amp as and when I can.

The amp may be underpowered for really good listening with any of the Lambdas. You might get better results with a bigger transformer to power the amp, this one uses a walwart, I believe. I used to get better results with my Koss E9/950 by driving it with a large, but inexpensive bench supply versus the supplied walwart. The real class amps for Stax often have a separate power supply.

The SR005 runs pretty well through a smaller amp and even on a low bias amp.

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #11,160 of 24,807
Kinsale,

I would suggest upgrading your amp or source. The O2mk1 are brutally revealing and will let you know if there are any weakness. Likewise, the Sr-x will still scale with the new equipment. What's your budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back