The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Jun 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #8,221 of 9,235
Quote:
Really? 4 pairs in less than a month of a single model of IEM, not to be offensive but what does your wife or parents say about that, I mean, my family keeps telling me I have a problem just because I buy a pair or two of headphones per month. 

I guess what they don't know won't hurt them.

I try to make sure the package is delivered on Mon-Fri so I can retrieve it while my wife's at work (I work Night shift so I'm home when the mailman comes around). It's those Saturday deliveries that are tricky. Amazon (Prime) is clockwork. The other places are more difficult to gauge.

I get the eye-roll and "how many pairs do you already have? Why do you need another?" and "you have a 19 month old daughter to provide for and a house to pay for too". And I only have enough to count with two hands!

That's why I'll pass on this and wait til the holidays for a new pair. Gotta enjoy my current stuff. And save money.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #8,223 of 9,235
Quote:
Really? 4 pairs in less than a month of a single model of IEM, not to be offensive but what does your wife or parents say about that, I mean, my family keeps telling me I have a problem just because I buy a pair or two of headphones per month. 

No offense taken.  I buy things to serve a need, not as a hobby.  (I briefly visit this site every few years, then disappear.)  The Phonaks are replacing my 12-year-old Etymotic ER-4P that's falling apart.  I tried the PFE a couple weeks ago, and overall I prefer it (with grey filter and Comply tips) to the Etys, primarily due to comfort and microphonics.  Since the PFE is discontinued and now being sold at such a low price, I'm picking up some backups to last me for another 10 years.  I suspect the cable will break after a few years of heavy use.  Or, they'll make great gifts.

Or was your question rhetorical?

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #8,225 of 9,235
Quote:

No offense taken.  I buy things to serve a need, not as a hobby.  (I briefly visit this site every few years, then disappear.)  The Phonaks are replacing my 12-year-old Etymotic ER-4P that's falling apart.  I tried the PFE a couple weeks ago, and overall I prefer it (with grey filter and Comply tips) to the Etys, primarily due to comfort and microphonics.  Since the PFE is discontinued and now being sold at such a low price, I'm picking up some backups to last me for another 10 years.  I suspect the cable will break after a few years of heavy use.  Or, they'll make great gifts.

Or was your question rhetorical?

No it wasn't, for a moment I thought that you bought a lot of headphones just 'cause, but now I know that you are replacing your daily driver, so it makes sense to buy a lot now that they are cheap and are getting discontinued. They will make a great gift for sure.

I guess what they don't know won't hurt them.

I try to make sure the package is delivered on Mon-Fri so I can retrieve it while my wife's at work (I work Night shift so I'm home when the mailman comes around). It's those Saturday deliveries that are tricky. Amazon (Prime) is clockwork. The other places are more difficult to gauge.

I get the eye-roll and "how many pairs do you already have? Why do you need another?" and "you have a 19 month old daughter to provide for and a house to pay for too". And I only have enough to count with two hands!

That's why I'll pass on this and wait til the holidays for a new pair. Gotta enjoy my current stuff. And save money.

Good thinking I guess, but I can't afford to do that as I spend to much time in the school so I don't receive my package myself, and they kinda know that the earphones are new because they look different enough. But you are absolutly right about enjoying what you have, plus the family  always comes first.

Funny you mention that. My significant other gave up altogether. Guess she got tired of waking up in the middle of the night only to hear me frantically yelling, "No! Please! No more treble roll off! No more!" 
biggrin.gif

hahahaha I can't tell if you are telling me the truth or just joking hahahaha, good ol' head-fi.

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #8,227 of 9,235
I HATE the deals threads on this forum.
I bought 1 portable amp/DAC, 1 desktop DAC, 4 over ear headphones and 3 IEM's during a period of 3.5 months.
Grabbed the Phonak 132 now...

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #8,228 of 9,235
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #8,229 of 9,235
Quote:
Can someone point me in the direction to a review on the PFE 122? My pops was looking for a new good headphone, and this seems like a decent deal.

Here is one review and another review.  An important thing to keep in mind while looking for reviews is that all the Phonak IEMs except the 232 are exactly the same sonically if you swap filters and differ only in color, controls on the cable, and included accessories (filters, tips, ear guides, case, etc.).  For example, the 0XX models come with only the green filter, while the 1XX models come with grey and black filters.  So to make a 0XX sound like a 1XX, you need to buy the filter separately, which you can do from audeoworld.com.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #8,230 of 9,235
The Sony mrdex210 are ok. I own them and i like the fit and they have nice bass. For 16 bucks i would say well worth it. I haven't burnt mine in either so... I actuall think they sound a bit like my jvc fxc51's witch i absolutely love.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #8,231 of 9,235
Not here to gloat but I wanted to give advice to everyone here. Always ask. Worst they can say is no. Here is my story.

A couple of days ago it was posted on here Amazon would run a Gold Box Deal on Etymotics. I waited for the time and purchased the item on my phone using one click. I received a confirmation email stating my order was accepted and my card was charged. Anyway, when I got home and looked closer, Amazon had charged me $109.99 and used a $30 credit I had on file which brought the total down to $79.99. I had not noticed this while on my mobile. I called Amazon and explained the mistake. The CSR agreed there was a mistake but the item had since sold out. I was basically out of luck because the dealer had no more in stock. I told him they should refund the difference and make it right. I am a Prime member and the item had already shipped out. He guaranteed my satisfaction, put me on hold and came back after a while. He stated he was going to have to get with a supervisor but he would email me a resolution as soon as he had a concrete answer. The next day I got an email from Amazon. I opened it expecting to hopefully see my $30 credit. To my surprise, the Amazon supervisor had issued me full credit as a gesture of goodwill. I couldn't believe it. Ety HF5s for free (well I did spend my $30 credit). Anyway, if your looking for a deal on Amazon, always grab it first and ask questions later. They are the best customer service oriented online business I deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back