The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #6,916 of 9,235
Quote:

That's OK 
wink_face.gif
 as I always said, reviews are relative and it is only an opinion of an individual.

I have both W3 and TF10, and both of them to some extent, have similarity in signature to UE700, I thought about buying XBA-3 and I had a chance to audition my mate's, after listening to it, I changed my mind about buying it - it sounds nothing like either W3 or TF10. The bass is bigger compared to both W3 and TF10, almost at overpowering level IMHO, the treble sounds 'metallic' (kinda similar to T.I and his auto-tune software). Mid is the only area where it excels, just like XBA-1's mid but better (its mid is better than TF10 with stock cable, and just ever slightly under W3's) - as a whole package however, IMHO, lags behind W3, TF10, and even UE700.

On the other side of the coin however, it is much, much cheaper than W3, and since there won't be anymore $90 Amazon price in TF10, at $129, XBA-3 definitely is a steal (any triple-BA at that price is a steal)

Really I found the opposite I miss the mids of the UE700 o.O 

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #6,917 of 9,235
Quote:
it sounds nothing like either W3 or TF10. The bass is bigger compared to both W3 and TF10, almost at overpowering level IMHO, the treble sounds 'metallic' (kinda similar to T.I and his auto-tune software). Mid is the only area where it excels

xba-3's bass is bigger than W3?  Wow, that's quite different from what I've read everywhere.  I thought W3 is already quite bassy.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #6,920 of 9,235
Quote:
Way too much talk in here..

Well... then let's do this:

Musician's Friend has a coupon code that gives you 15% off any single item $199 or more:  LAST12

The problem is, most of the brands we care about are not eligible for the savings, including AKG, Audio-Technica, KRK, Sennheiser, Shure, Yamaha.  HOWEVER, Sony stuff is eligible - which means that the MDR-7550 is only $267.74 with free ground shipping in the US.  Though it doesn't beat the cheapest price that Amazon has ever offered it for, it's still over $30 cheaper than Amazon's current price.

Here's all the Sony stuff they carry:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/headphones/sony

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #6,921 of 9,235
Since i got so many varying comments on comparing specific earphones with little consensus ( not a knock---I guess the best way to judge is with ones own ears), I'm changing my tactic. Dynamic verses armature in the same price range...............which would be preferable for rock? Personally, my earphone collection includes only one armature type, the relatively inexpensive CC51 (bought it for under $20 at newegg). I think that it has great separation and a full sound, but maybe unconsciously I'm thinking, under $20.....Wow! Anyway, if you had to live with only one or the other type earphone, could you make that decision?

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #6,923 of 9,235
The CC51 is dynamic not an armature...

That i may be off base here but you are asking the wrong question.  i have head dynamics that some amazing and armatures that were very poor... and visa versa.  The point is that's not how you should look at it.  Its more about the sound signature which varies significantly even among all dynamics or all armatures.

The CC51 is actually an excellent IEM. If you EQ the bass and high treble down just a bit you have some really great sound that competes with some of the best I've heard in the $100 range.

If you are looking for high end sound at budget prices get yourself a Sony MH1c (about $30 on eBay)

CLIEOS discovered them and he branded them as having a top tier sound signature.  I agree.

Good luck

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #6,924 of 9,235
Quote:
The CC51 is dynamic not an armature...

That i may be off base here but you are asking the wrong question.  i have head dynamics that some amazing and armatures that were very poor... and visa versa.  The point is that's not how you should look at it.  Its more about the sound signature which varies significantly even among all dynamics or all armatures.

The CC51 is actually an excellent IEM. If you EQ the bass and high treble down just a bit you have some really great sound that competes with some of the best I've heard in the $100 range.

If you are looking for high end sound at budget prices get yourself a Sony MH1c (about $30 on eBay)

CLIEOS discovered them and he branded them as having a top tier sound signature.  I agree.

Good luck

Thanks for setting me straight and your recommendation. I finally realized, I guess because I don't frequent forums often, that I probably am making my posts in the wrong section (it dawned on me finally after the "too much talking in here" comments)...........I apologize.

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #6,926 of 9,235
Sony XB60EX
Reg 79.99 Now 39.99 Ships direct Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB60EX-GLD-13-5mm-Headphone/dp/B009A6CZ12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355780481&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+xb60ex

Sony MDRX10
Red. 299.99 Now 248.00 Ships direct Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRX10-RED-Headphones-Diaphragms/dp/B00972M942/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355780568&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+x10

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #6,929 of 9,235
UE700 have gone up to $100 at Amazon..... The $74.95 is no more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back