The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #3,707 of 19,652
I do not want it unless the UI lists: Artist > Album > Song. I will be losing enough UI going from the Apple universe as it is.

Don't most players do that? if it doesn't in some way there's always browse mode. Don't people rip music into neat C:/Music/Artist/Album(year) folders? That's how I easily find what to swap out when I'm tired of some albums on my portable player (smartphone) and need to take other albums with me.

Then again I grew up with and got into serious audio gear with CDs and vinyl (even with the minidisc and the iPod later on) so that's basically my digital archive equivalent for a shelf alphabetically arranged by artist, starting with compilation albums on the top shelf.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,708 of 19,652
It lists things that way if you browse through the cards without using the scanned UI. But since there are two separate cards that makes things difficult it requires tons of organizing yourself if you use 2 cards.

Currently the X-5 lists all songs by an artist under the artist catagory without sub-sorting by album. (All this according to reviewers, I don't have an X-5 myself.)

This seems like an easy fix and asking for a standard organizational method that most DAP's use doesn't seem like much to ask for.

I am an older guy that is going to have enough of a nightmare getting my library out of iTunes with proper tagging and with album covers embedded.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #3,709 of 19,652
Jess

You're correct.  At present  - using the library in 'tag-mode' - you can either select by artist OR by album OR by genre.  Once you select the top tier - there is no 'next tier' yet.  IE I have 4 Dido albums.  So selecting Artist "Dido" puts me into a list with all 4 albums files mixed together - sorted by file name 01-name, 01, name, 01 name, 01 name, 02 name, 02 name .... etc

Folder mode is the work around at present - but I'm condfident that Fiio will eventually put a proper hierarchy eventually into working with tags.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #3,710 of 19,652
Aside from ending up with disgustingly log names, I suppose you could also tag your files artist-album-track number-title...that way when you browse by Artist you will get everything by them at least in order.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,711 of 19,652
Aside from ending up with disgustingly log names, I suppose you could also tag your files artist-album-track number-title...that way when you browse by Artist you will get everything by them at least in order.

Or Fiio could provide a UI fix via firmware to bring music organization to the standards of most other DAP's.

I have been delaying my DAP purchase to see the reviews on the X-5. I would love to get the X-5, however, I will get the Sony ZX-1 or use iPod plus Hi-Fi M8 if they don't fix the UI organization to allow: Artist -> Album -> Song.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #3,712 of 19,652
Or Fiio could provide a UI fix via firmware to bring music organization to the standards of most other DAP's.

I have been delaying my DAP purchase to see the reviews on the X-5. I would love to get the X-5, however, I will get the Sony ZX-1 or use iPod plus Hi-Fi M8 if they don't fix the UI organization to allow: Artist -> Album -> Song.

What a shame though, you'd loose a chance to buy an amazing sounding dap if you'd go for a substitute, I can only suggest you to be patient, pretty sure they'll come around to adding the hierarchy, everybody else does. I am not as stuck like you on the current arrangement because I end up using the file directory structure more. The library is nice however you are always at the mercy of unsuccessful scans, somehow it escapes me how difficult it must be to collect tag info reliably.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #3,713 of 19,652
What a shame though, you'd loose a chance to buy an amazing sounding dap if you'd go for a substitute, I can only suggest you to be patient, pretty sure they'll come around to adding the hierarchy, everybody else does. I am not as stuck like you on the current arrangement because I end up using the file directory structure more. The library is nice however you are always at the mercy of unsuccessful scans, somehow it escapes me how difficult it must be to collect tag info reliably.

I am looking forward to hearing reviews with comparisons of SQ between the X-5 and the ZX-1.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,716 of 19,652

Yes, that's been recommended before.  Panda put up a tutorial somewhere for this, but... gack!!!  Who wants to do that?  The slow side to side scrolling (at least that's what my X3 does) would make that very tedious.  Enabling Artist -> Album -> Track organization by tags seems only reasonable.  I think Fiio's getting enough feedback that they should implement this on the X3 and X5 and the upcoming X1 and X7.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3,717 of 19,652

Yeah me too, we have some members here who have both so watch for some impressions coming soon.

Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ask AnakChan, hehehe
But i think he is burning in his unit before make comparisons..

Yep, I can try tonight when I get home from work & gym. As it'll be a very preliminary brief comparison with an X5 with only 36 hrs burn-in, you'll have to take my preliminary impressions with a large pinch of salt.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3,718 of 19,652
  Yes, that's been recommended before.  Panda put up a tutorial somewhere for this, but... gack!!!  Who wants to do that?  The slow side to side scrolling (at least that's what my X3 does) would make that very tedious.  Enabling Artist -> Album -> Track organization by tags seems only reasonable.  I think Fiio's getting enough feedback that they should implement this on the X3 and X5 and the upcoming X1 and X7.

Which one of my videos (or reuploaded videos) are you referring to? 
rolleyes.gif

But seriously, I don't recommend watching through any of them if you have a small question like that

I can barely watch and sit through my own videos after I've edited them. 
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3,719 of 19,652
  Which one of my videos (or reuploaded videos) are you referring to? 
rolleyes.gif

But seriously, I don't recommend watching through any of them if you have a small question like that

I can barely watch and sit through my own videos after I've edited them. 
tongue.gif

Well, at least I think I saw the trick of cramming all that info in the song tag in one of your posts while researching the X3 a while back.  If not, I guess I gave you props for someone else's trick - oops 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #3,720 of 19,652
  Well, at least I think I saw the trick of cramming all that info in the song tag in one of your posts while researching the X3 a while back.  If not, I guess I gave you props for someone else's trick - oops 
rolleyes.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/3540#post_9684111

bigsmile_face.gif
 Found it!

Nope, I deserve ALL your props 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back