The discovery thread!
Jan 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #6,271 of 100,078
Quote:
Yup, they sounds great with the Ele but with the SMSL Fort, they are at least a level up !
L3000.gif

The Fort gives them just the right amount of warm that all the notes just  becomes fuller and smoother.
Going back to the Ele, they sounded a touch too cold for me but then they're $17 compared to $47.

Hmm, the SMSL Fort pairs well with the ad900x's huh? I can see where this is taking me lol!

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #6,272 of 100,078
Quote:

I was so close to pulling the trigger on both of these today, DannyBai. Thank you for your input. I think I might get the CKS1000 first though. The price seems so right at this moment. Thanks again Dsnuts and DannyBai! 
beerchug.gif

Hmmm, I see those cks1000's on amazon japan. I see where this is taking me too lol!

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #6,273 of 100,078
Quote:

Hmm, the SMSL Fort pairs well with the ad900x's huh? I can see where this is taking me lol!

Don't be tempted by that Ghost guy. Keep your eyes on the prize. Stay focused man!
Quote:

I was so close to pulling the trigger on both of these today, DannyBai. Thank you for your input. I think I might get the CKS1000 first though. The price seems so right at this moment. Thanks again Dsnuts and DannyBai! 
beerchug.gif

I think they are a great deal for the price they are asking for. Comes with 2 cord extenders. A standard L jack and one with a mic and volume slider. oooo. You can use your other iems with this too a nice add in for smart phone users. 

They do have a certain charm to their frankeinsteinish looks..

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #6,274 of 100,078
Laughing at Dsnuts working poor Waynenumm over .... lol

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #6,276 of 100,078
Wayne is good like that. He knows whats up here..I suppose I can let up a bit once he turns supremus but for now.  Stay focused man!

Actually your E11 hooked up to your Ele will sound just as good if not better using the AD900X.  I don't know if a Fort is gonna be that much better over what you got. Especially since you got the E11 as well.  See what makes the Fort sound a bit fuller is that they have more amping involved more so than the Ele. So my thought is if you use your E11 hooked up it should be even more power than the Fort by itself. Plus you have 2 EQ bass boost on the E11 too if needed. That actually might be a better set up than the Fort itself.

Keep your eyes on the prize...I think Wayne would love the AD900X and I think you would love the CKS1000 ericp. Just thinking out loud.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #6,277 of 100,078
Quote:
Please post impressions when you get them. I haven't been able to find much about the XB60EX. I'd like to know how they compare to the MH1C.

Sorry I have no idea about the MH1C.

XB60 impressions (listening for 15 minutes):

First thing I noticed was that the cord was short.  My receiver sits on the floor and I have to hunch over to use these without an extension cord.  They come with 4 different size rubber pad ear seal things.  I put on the biggest size to get the best seal even though both of the mediums fit me okay.  They are also on the soft side and they seem to like power.

I only have 2 other sets of portables to compare the XB60 with.  First is RadioShack's Auvio Elements.

The Auvio's only do one thing well, and that is bass. The XB60 requires more volume but the sound is much cleaner across the spectrum, especially on the higher end.  Not really a contest here.

My other cheap set is Altec Lansing's UHP106.  This comparison revealed the most to me.  The 106's have good mids.  Bass is clean and tight, but doesn't get either as low or as loud as the XB60 or the Auvios.  Listening to the 106 and the XB60 back to back, I felt like the Sony's are definitely recessed in the midrange, although they are not muddled and still sound clear to me, just softer volume-wise.  The 106 starts to have sibilance and harshness in the upper range, especially if you start to turn up the volume.  This was the biggest difference for me, because you can crank up the volume on the XB60 and it stays nice and clear, at least to my ears.

Conclusion:
It doesn't get the same rumble like my full-sized M-Audio Q40 of course, but the XB60's are something small that I can take on the plane with me and still be able to have decent quality across the spectrum for $35.  If they cost any more than that then I don't think I would want to take them traveling.  I think the Altec Lansing 106's are fine for someone who doesn't listen to deep bass and who just uses soft to moderate volumes; and the Auvio's are fine for pure bassheads (I've used these for 2 years now).

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #6,278 of 100,078
Quote:

C'mon Wayne, just buy one of everything and you will be just like Dsnuts and Ericp10........broke, lol! 
blink.gif

Ok mr I have 20K worth of Audio equipment. Chango presto silver cables on every headphone I own. Mr multi pads just to try out which pad give the best air..Your the one to talk.
biggrin.gif
Your a great man to know cute. Wish I had your madd sound science skills to bring out uberness of every headphone I own.  Everyone. Be like cute. Gotta strive for sound perfection.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #6,279 of 100,078
Quote:
Ok mr I have 20K worth of Audio equipment. Chango presto silver cables on every headphone I own. Mr multi pads just to try out which pad give the best air..Your the one to talk.
biggrin.gif
Your a great man to know cute. Wish I had your madd sound science skills to bring out uberness of every headphone I own.  Everyone. Be like cute. Gotta strive for sound perfection.

I have 20k worth of pads and silicone tips.........
confused.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #6,280 of 100,078
Quote:

Sorry I have no idea about the MH1C.

XB60 impressions (listening for 15 minutes):

First thing I noticed was that the cord was short.  My receiver sits on the floor and I have to hunch over to use these without an extension cord.  They come with 4 different size rubber pad ear seal things.  I put on the biggest size to get the best seal even though both of the mediums fit me okay.  They are also on the soft side and they seem to like power.

I only have 2 other sets of portables to compare the XB60 with.  First is RadioShack's Auvio Elements.

The Auvio's only do one thing well, and that is bass. The XB60 requires more volume but the sound is much cleaner across the spectrum, especially on the higher end.  Not really a contest here.

My other cheap set is Altec Lansing's UHP106.  This comparison revealed the most to me.  The 106's have good mids.  Bass is clean and tight, but doesn't get either as low or as loud as the XB60 or the Auvios.  Listening to the 106 and the XB60 back to back, I felt like the Sony's are definitely recessed in the midrange, although they are not muddled and still sound clear to me, just softer volume-wise.  The 106 starts to have sibilance and harshness in the upper range, especially if you start to turn up the volume.  This was the biggest difference for me, because you can crank up the volume on the XB60 and it stays nice and clear, at least to my ears.

Conclusion:
It doesn't get the same rumble like my full-sized M-Audio Q40 of course, but the XB60's are something small that I can take on the plane with me and still be able to have decent quality across the spectrum for $35.  If they cost any more than that then I don't think I would want to take them traveling.  I think the Altec Lansing 106's are fine for someone who doesn't listen to deep bass and who just uses soft to moderate volumes; and the Auvio's are fine for pure bassheads (I've used these for 2 years now).

Appreciate your impressions on the XB60. That price is actually very good for them. I think Danny payed quite a bit more for them when he got them I remember. Heck I payed a premium for the XB90EX.. Don't know if you do any burn in. Something I kinda preach on this thread but I would burn in them earphones and try out wider nozzle tips on them if you have them. I noticed on my XB90 at least. The stock hybrids actually restrict the sounds.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #6,281 of 100,078
Quote:

C'mon Wayne, just buy one of everything and you will be just like Dsnuts and Ericp10........broke, lol! 
blink.gif

beerchug.gif

Broke is the new vogue! Get with the times, cute! 

Cute is so yesterday! And that ain't>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cute!

lol

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6,282 of 100,078
must!! ............. reeeee sist! .............. DannyBai ................cute ........... Dsnuts. 

Will not turn into Mr. AT man.... Eyes wide shut and runs away! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #6,283 of 100,078
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Broke is the new vogue! Get with the times, cute! 

Cute is so yesterday! And that ain't>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cute!

lol

I play for keeps........sometimes take my ball and go home!  But I do have the Somic's and the AD900X on their way....only keep what I need/like though!  I am too hard to please!

popcorn.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #6,285 of 100,078

Users who are viewing this thread

Back