The discovery thread!
Jan 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #6,256 of 101,716
Quote:
Going back to the AD900X. Vocals are much more intimate while being much deeper. Much more 3D in comparison. You are simply surrounded by a beautiful full sound. I would say the AD900X would be a nice upgrade over the Fischer FA-011. These AD900X has a higher resolution in the sounds. Natural reverb in vocals and instruments are easily heard on the AD900X. Definition of instruments are much easier to hear and their effects on the AD900X..The fishers not as much again the flatter less forward mids would explain this. You can hear when vocalist smack their lips or take a breath right before she belts out a tune. The resolution of the AD900X is breathtaking at times and something lesser phones just can't do..They simply have a better textured fuller more engaging 3Dimentional sound over the Fischers..I think the Fischers are great cans but is out classed by the AD900X.

Not effective hyping at all lol
eek.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #6,257 of 101,716
@ericp Any time my friend. I do hope you get a chance to hear these sometime..I like to think you would definitely enjoy their sounds. Especially since your a closet AT fan.
biggrin.gif

You know you want one Wayne.

The one thing that kinda surprised me is how much bass the Fischers have. It is not basshead levels but they a have a big punch and just a big sub bass. While the AD900X is not lacking one bit in the bass department the Fishers do have that bass end to them..The reason why I bought them..

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6,258 of 101,716
Quote:
@ericp Any time my friend. I do hope you get a chance to hear these sometime..I like to think you would definitely enjoy their sounds. Especially since your a closet AT fan.
biggrin.gif

You know you want one Wayne.

The one thing that kinda surprised me is how much bass the Fischers have. It is not basshead levels but they a have a big punch and just a big sub bass. While the AD900X is not lacking one bit in the bass department the Fishers do have that bass end to them..The reason why I bought them..

LOL at closet AT fan (shhhhhh!) lol

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #6,259 of 101,716
One other question Dsnuts. How do you rank the CKS1000 in comparison with the FXZ100/200 and the CKN50 (just comparing sound quality)? Thanks

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #6,260 of 101,716
I remember you mentioning on the FXZ thread how on high end earphones you have heard all have a warmth to the sounds on them. The CKS1000 is no exception. They have a deep wide sound stage that is in all CKS earphones but this time they put in a nice high resolution 13mm driver.  The tuning is decidedly a high end sound from AT. According to Danny. These CKS1000 has a nicer sound over the CKM1000 he used to own. These have forward highs which is a part of the AT house sounds but what is special on these earphones is their mids. Very smooth lush full mids. And the bass end is pure quality of course being a bass earphones..There are some similarities to the FAD Adiagio 3 in sound tuning but a much more refined one.

Highs have sparkle to them and is defined really well. Can have some sibilance but has tamed down considerably since burning them in real good. The mids have a warm sweetness and a smoothness to the sounds that is a first for me for an AT phone. Also the use of the dual air chamber on these earphones. Does the one thing I hoped would happen and that is how deep sounds are in the mix. Basically if you have back ground singers. With these earphones they are actually heard in the back ground relative to the lead vocals..On lesser earphones this is less apparent. The highs have a more back and forward range layering as well depending on recording. The bass actually has less mid bass than the CKS77. but the sub bass is just as strong on these.. The bass is very well controlled and comes out to play only when the recording has it.. Where would I rank these? I would  put these?  Somewhere between the FXZ100 and the FXZ200.. Maybe even over them depending on ones sound preference.

The CKN50 in comparison has a much leaner sound in comparison..A different presentation entirely. The scope of the full sound on the CKS1000 is much greater much bigger wider stage.  They do share them forward highs. But it is the mids on the CKS1000 that has them a nicely refined bass earphone...

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #6,261 of 101,716
Quote:
I remember you mentioning on the FXZ thread how on high end earphones you have heard all have a warmth to the sounds on them. The CKS1000 is no exception. They have a deep wide sound stage that is in all CKS earphones but this time they put in a nice high resolution 13mm driver.  The tuning is decidedly a high end sound from AT. According to Danny. These CKS1000 has a nicer sound over the CKM1000 he used to own. These have forward highs which is a part of the AT house sounds but what is special on these earphones is their mids. Very smooth lush full mids. And the bass end is pure quality of course being a bass earphones..There are some similarities to the FAD Adiagio 3 in sound tuning but a much more refined one.

Highs have sparkle to them and is defined really well. Can have some sibilance but has tamed down considerably since burning them in real good. The mids have a warm sweetness and a smoothness to the sounds that is a first for me for an AT phone. Also the use of the dual air chamber on these earphones. Does the one thing I hoped would happen and that is how deep sounds are in the mix. Basically if you have back ground singers. With these earphones they are actually heard in the back ground relative to the lead vocals..On lesser earphones this is less apparent. The highs have a more back and forward range layering as well depending on recording. The bass actually has less mid bass than the CKS77. but the sub bass is just as strong on these.. The bass is very well controlled and comes out to play only when the recording has it.. Where would I rank these? I would  put these?  Somewhere between the FXZ100 and the FXZ200.. Maybe even over them depending on ones sound preference.

The CKN50 in comparison has a much leaner sound in comparison..A different presentation entirely. The scope of the full sound on the CKS1000 is much greater much bigger wider stage.  They do share them forward highs. But it is the mids on the CKS1000 that has them a nicely refined bass earphone...

Thank you again sir. I let inline79 (he and Waynenumm are champions of the MT-300) hear the CKN50 today, and he seemed quite surprised and please with the clarity and detail through the entire sound signature.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #6,262 of 101,716
I am definitely encouraged with ATs aggressive answers to JVCs advancements. I would not be surprised if AT is hard at work developing their first multi dynamic iem. It seems whatever JVC puts out AT answers with their own versions.

I do look forward to the CKN70..

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #6,263 of 101,716
ericp,

I still own the FA-011 and I love them so much that I went and had them equipped with a mini-xlr and re-cabled which cost me half of what the cans cost me.  So my love for those is dear.  But, the AD900X is miles ahead of the FA-011, unless you need that big bass of the FA-011.  

Also, you sir will need to hear the CKS1000.  Those are by far the best AT earphone I've ever heard.  Midrange to die for.  

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #6,264 of 101,716
Dsnuts, I know that you have the s500's with hm5 pads over stock pads (and vents untaped). How does the ad900x's bass quantity/quallity compare?

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #6,265 of 101,716
Quote:
Dsnuts, I know that you have the s500's with hm5 pads over stock pads (and vents untaped). How does the ad900x's bass quantity/quallity compare?

The AD900X does not have as much bass. You guys know how carbon nanotubes do with bass but the real surprise here is the AD900X is not far off on bass levels..The bass end is tighter on the AD900X. Sub bass has more texture on the HA-S500 but what is on the AD900X for an open can is very commendable.  The bass end of the AD900X is there to complete and compliment the sound of the AD900X. Think about 2 dbs over the ATH pleathers on your HA-S500 and you will be the ball park of bass levels of the AD900X. . And another little trick that I have done with big success. The AD900X can be fitted with pleather pads and the bass will come back with a vengeance.

I would put the bass at around 5-7db over neutral on the HA-S500 pending on mods or pads. The AD900X is around 3-4db in bass boost. Which again is a solid notch over neutral and is excellent for instruments and even synthetic bass notes..There is really not a sound the AD900X lacks..

As an experiment I threw on my A900X pleather pads on the very bass weak AD700. What you know they all of a sudden had bass and similar levels to the A900X as well that was very surprising. So there is more than one way to personalize the sound on the AD900X. I personally wont touch them. I like em just the way they are but for others who want more bass emphasis. These take to eQing real good as well. I just boosted about 6 dbs from my eq and it is rumbling right now. Lol.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6,266 of 101,716
Quote:
The AD900X does not have as much bass. You guys know how carbon nanotubes do with bass but the real surprise here is the AD900X is not far off on bass levels..The bass end is tighter on the AD900X. Sub bass has more texture on the HA-S500 but what is on the AD900X for an open can is very commendable.  The bass end of the AD900X is there to complete and compliment the sound of the AD900X. Think about 2 dbs over the ATH pleathers on your HA-S500 and you will be the ball park of bass levels of the AD900X. . And another little trick that I have done with big success. The AD900X can be fitted with pleather pads and the bass will come back with a vengeance.

I would put the bass at around 5-7db over neutral on the HA-S500 pending on mods or pads. The AD900X is around 3-4db in bass boost. Which again is a solid notch over neutral and is excellent for instruments and even synthetic bass notes..There is really not a sound the AD900X lacks..

As an experiment I threw on my A900X pleather pads on the very bass weak AD700. What you know they all of a sudden had bass and similar levels to the A900X as well that was very surprising. So there is more than one way to personalize the sound on the AD900X. I personally wont touch them. I like em just the way they are but for others who want more bass emphasis. These take to eQing real good as well. I just boosted about 6 dbs from my eq and it is rumbling right now. Lol.

Excellent, thanks.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #6,267 of 101,716
Dsnuts... thanks for the PM, but I found your tenso tutorial here. That wasn't so tough! And that amazon.co.jp template and instructions looks pretty simple as well. Cool.

Ghost, Danny, Ds, anyone....

This seems to be the only place to get them. 16841 yen is $188.38 Canadian. If these things are half as good as you say, then that seems pretty good.

I am looking at the Tenso usage fee page. I wonder how much the package weighs. At any rate, I plugged in 1000g to North America, and it comes out to 2890 Yen or $32.33 CN. Decent enough.

I'm not sure if EMS insurance is required, or if I would get dinged for customs: * EMS Insurance, Consolidation Fee and Custom duty are not included.

Anyway, as you can see, I am getting serious!

One last question (for now anyway lol!):

From this very useful chart:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X
Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---|---|---■---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---|---|---|---■---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---|---■---|---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★★ Jazz ★★★★ Classical ★★★★ Club ★★★★

These aren't "bright" in any way, are they? My main concern is that they wouldn't ever venture into sibilant/harsh territory.

Thanks guys! I'm off to read a bit more about these beauties.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #6,268 of 101,716
If you can handle the HA-S500 you will be fine with these. These aren't any brighter sounding than those. In fact when I did the A/B just now I would say the HA-S500 is a bit brighter. No sibilance. But this also depends on how good your source is too. These have a very nice level of detail so the cleaner your source is the better these will sound. I think your Fiio E11 will do just fine to get a nice full sound out of these. In fact you won't even need to do that you'll be able to drive these with your clip even..

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6,269 of 101,716
Quote:
ericp,

I still own the FA-011 and I love them so much that I went and had them equipped with a mini-xlr and re-cabled which cost me half of what the cans cost me.  So my love for those is dear.  But, the AD900X is miles ahead of the FA-011, unless you need that big bass of the FA-011.  

Also, you sir will need to hear the CKS1000.  Those are by far the best AT earphone I've ever heard.  Midrange to die for.  

I was so close to pulling the trigger on both of these today, DannyBai. Thank you for your input. I think I might get the CKS1000 first though. The price seems so right at this moment. Thanks again Dsnuts and DannyBai! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #6,270 of 101,716
Quote:
I am definitely encouraged with ATs aggressive answers to JVCs advancements. I would not be surprised if AT is hard at work developing their first multi dynamic iem. It seems whatever JVC puts out AT answers with their own versions.

I do look forward to the CKN70..

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back