The discovery thread!
May 16, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #101,716 of 104,606
Next stop, FA19

1000030326-04.jpeg

May 16, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #101,717 of 104,606
New cable day.

I got a ivipQ-330 model IEM cable in the mail today and been putting it to good use with my TSMR-X as I was hoping they would look okay together (nervous smile).

cable.jpgcable2.jpg

1715837903476.png

1. Product Name: ivipQ-330
2. Brand: ivipQ-
3. Model: 4-Core Earphone Upgrade Cable
4. Number of Cores: Five Elements+Single Crystal Silver Plating Palladium+Rare Earth Alloy Copper+Single Crystal Silver Plating Palladium+High Conductivity 7N OCC+Oil Immersed Graphene Plating Palladium+Rare Earth Alloy
5. Single Strand Diameter: 1.5mm
6. Cable Structure: LITZ
7. Skin Material: Medical Grade PVC
8. Length: 1.23m
9. Plug Type: 4PIN XLR/3.5mm/2.5mm/4.4mm straight type optional
10. Connector: MMCX/0.78mm 2PIN/TFZ/QDC/IE900
11. Plug Material: Pure Copper Electroplating
12. Diverter Material: Using resin material

Link to the cable:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.38491802j9Z2XT&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

How does it sound? Not ready to jump into that just yet but it sounds an awful lot like the last cable I had on it which was a cheaper XINHS K08 with 2 strands of gold, silver and palladium graphene five element alloy cable wire. I sure do love these cables.
I thought about getting that cable but decided it was too expensive. Since the plugs are resin and most likely made for the IEM I would have asked them if they could have left out the red color from the resin mix. It doesn't look as good to me. In the end I bought two cables at the same price as I would have paid for the 330, then ordered an SLT6 and forgot normal cables don't work with that. So I am going to have one cable left over XD. My cables should arrive today, so I am curious how they turned out.

May 16, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #101,718 of 104,606
BTW, what happened to NF Audio? They had so much potential, and seemed to come out of the gate strong, but then faded like a tattoo on a stripper's butt.
Great anal ogy !!....i still have the NF Audio NM2+....they sounded very anal ogue haha !! Tatt who knew ??

May 16, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #101,720 of 104,606
So you're saying BC is like cables? LOL
Just to clear that up.No, Bone Conduction sound transmission works of course quite well when you do it right. We make some serious money with it.. but one of our products indeed involves drilling into the skull in, of course, a surgical procedure:scream::skull:, and another one you can actually stick behind the concha on the mastoid without any gore involved, but OPL is limited with this one already.
And that brings me to my rather devastating conclusion/estimation on BC enabled IEMs. I do think if you add a vibratory unit into an IEM shell, it just cannot transmit enough vibratory energy to hear something with it. There might be a tactile sensation you can feel when the shell is vibrating, but that's not Bone Conduction sound, it's just the nerves in your skin which let you feel vibration, nothing more.
So, it's the realization of how some IEM manufacturers want to incorporate BC inside an IEM. It just won't work well.

May 16, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #101,721 of 104,606
Been away a while…with this BC talk…just wondering if anyone had purchased the DMA?

May 16, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #101,722 of 104,606
Just to clear that up.No, Bone Conduction sound transmission works of course quite well when you do it right. We make some serious money with it.. but one of our products indeed involves drilling into the skull in, of course, a surgical procedure:scream::skull:, and another one you can actually stick behind the concha on the mastoid without any gore involved, but OPL is limited with this one already.
And that brings me to my rather devastating conclusion/estimation on BC enabled IEMs. I do think if you add a vibratory unit into an IEM shell, it just cannot transmit enough vibratory energy to hear something with it. There might be a tactile sensation you can feel when the shell is vibrating, but that's not Bone Conduction sound, it's just the nerves in your skin which let you feel vibration, nothing more.
So, it's the realization of how some IEM manufacturers want to incorporate BC inside an IEM. It just won't work well.
Just read something about the upcoming IOS 18 update, adding accessibility feature of Haptic feedback on the iPhone to emulate bass(?) on the device speakers…wha?!…

May 16, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #101,723 of 104,606
First I am no expert by any means, and my experience with BC is quite limited.
Had experience with two IEMs with BC: Kinera Verdandi and AüR Audio Aehta

They work quite different if my understanding is correct, Aehta have a BC that works in the midrange. While the Verdandi uses BC that work in the mid bass, at least what I was told.

On the Verdandi you can tap the shell and hear the BC reacting, or just taking a walk can make it react on your steps. Or try and talk when you have them in, some serious vibration get picked up if you have a darker voice.

This also means that when I played music with Verdandi on low volume the effect was minimal, maybe none. Pushing the volume and playing bass heavy music made it show to me, the bass got something extra but it also sounded a little disjunct from the DD.
Imagination or not, our brain is good at hearing expected things.

Then the Aehta, I have no idea if it's doing something or not. Can not hear it tapping the shell, or when walking. Or talking.
Midrange is very clear and nuanced and soundstage very holographic, if this is just the IEM or the BC adding something is the question.

Just some thoughts from my own experiences.

On another note, wow the thread is active lately. Been busy with work and it's hard keeping up 😅

May 16, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #101,724 of 104,606
Hope @Jaytiss does a comparison between explorer and hydro. To chaff out the weakest link! Want to buy just one of em.

Btw, in what way is the P3 different from P8 ? If I have P8, does P3 make sense?
I’ll definitely look into all of that and more. Hydro is a lot of fun. But I’m coming the realization I’m a dirty V shaped iem lover. My Explorer is only 130 miles away now!

May 16, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #101,726 of 104,606
The TRN ST7 continues to surprise me and wow me. This time, listening to Cecelie Strange's Byssan Lull. I've listened to this thing with the OD200, EA1000, and Trio, and for the first time, I noticed the singer's breathing pattern. I might have heard it with those others, but it was this time it actually jumped out at me while listening. The very distinct breathes in and out, and even the vibrato in the breathe. Simply stellar detail retrieval for something sold so cheaply. It's gonna make it hard for the four incoming IEMs I have to show out in a similar fashion. We'll see....??

May 16, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #101,727 of 104,606
The TRN ST7 continues to surprise me and wow me. This time, listening to Cecelie Strange's Byssan Lull. I've listened to this thing with the OD200, EA1000, and Trio, and for the first time, I noticed the singer's breathing pattern. I might have heard it with those others, but it was this time it actually jumped out at me while listening. The very distinct breathes in and out, and even the vibrato in the breathe. Simply stellar detail retrieval for something sold so cheaply. It's gonna make it hard for the four incoming IEMs I have to show out in a similar fashion. We'll see....??

The amazing Cecelie Strange 🎷❤️👍

May 16, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #101,728 of 104,606

Have no doubt about phonophi's fav of the 2 .. zs10 Pro2... absolute star for that price! Unless you are already biased (understandably so having spent emotional energy with TRN)... But I guess you will like both..

And hydro should hopefully outperform both - or will that make my purchase decision (p3 or hydro) tougher!

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #101,729 of 104,606
What's the mod for castor and what does it do?
Link to Castor Bass mod https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17739901

Castor Bass is much better than Harmanish version, after mod it's beast. Advices and experience taken from @DynamicEars are priceless. I'm using materials and applying his techniques to most iems I have.

About D-Fi vs Polaris, I can say only that both are very good.

D-Fi has an interesting timbre: a bit rounded, glassy, vibrant - acoustic. Tonally vocals are closer, but hide the edges a bit too much

Polaris (dduu is my favorite setting) sounds softer, vocals are more backwards and relaxed, timbre I can describe as "matte", but interestingly they also give the impression of a being more detailed.

graph - 2024-05-16T095357.797.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back