The discovery thread!
May 16, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #101,581 of 107,004
Hope @Jaytiss does a comparison between explorer and hydro. To chaff out the weakest link! Want to buy just one of em.

Btw, in what way is the P3 different from P8 ? If I have P8, does P3 make sense?
I’ll definitely look into all of that and more. Hydro is a lot of fun. But I’m coming the realization I’m a dirty V shaped iem lover. My Explorer is only 130 miles away now!

May 16, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #101,582 of 107,004
Ohh wanted to share this. Put up not long ago.

IMG_7240.jpeg

May 16, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #101,583 of 107,004
The TRN ST7 continues to surprise me and wow me. This time, listening to Cecelie Strange's Byssan Lull. I've listened to this thing with the OD200, EA1000, and Trio, and for the first time, I noticed the singer's breathing pattern. I might have heard it with those others, but it was this time it actually jumped out at me while listening. The very distinct breathes in and out, and even the vibrato in the breathe. Simply stellar detail retrieval for something sold so cheaply. It's gonna make it hard for the four incoming IEMs I have to show out in a similar fashion. We'll see....??

May 16, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #101,584 of 107,004
The TRN ST7 continues to surprise me and wow me. This time, listening to Cecelie Strange's Byssan Lull. I've listened to this thing with the OD200, EA1000, and Trio, and for the first time, I noticed the singer's breathing pattern. I might have heard it with those others, but it was this time it actually jumped out at me while listening. The very distinct breathes in and out, and even the vibrato in the breathe. Simply stellar detail retrieval for something sold so cheaply. It's gonna make it hard for the four incoming IEMs I have to show out in a similar fashion. We'll see....??

The amazing Cecelie Strange 🎷❤️👍

May 16, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #101,585 of 107,004

Have no doubt about phonophi's fav of the 2 .. zs10 Pro2... absolute star for that price! Unless you are already biased (understandably so having spent emotional energy with TRN)... But I guess you will like both..

And hydro should hopefully outperform both - or will that make my purchase decision (p3 or hydro) tougher!

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #101,586 of 107,004
What's the mod for castor and what does it do?
Link to Castor Bass mod https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17739901

Castor Bass is much better than Harmanish version, after mod it's beast. Advices and experience taken from @DynamicEars are priceless. I'm using materials and applying his techniques to most iems I have.

About D-Fi vs Polaris, I can say only that both are very good.

D-Fi has an interesting timbre: a bit rounded, glassy, vibrant - acoustic. Tonally vocals are closer, but hide the edges a bit too much

Polaris (dduu is my favorite setting) sounds softer, vocals are more backwards and relaxed, timbre I can describe as "matte", but interestingly they also give the impression of a being more detailed.

graph - 2024-05-16T095357.797.png

May 16, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #101,588 of 107,004
Probably the cheapest phone with a good Hi-Fi DAC that I've bought for a bargain price, US$25. LG X4 2019 with ESS DAC pair with @HiByMusic Crystal 6 Mk.II, I also use this one on my Koss Porta KPH40.

20240516_155738.jpg
20240516_155828.jpg
20240516_160512.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #101,591 of 107,004
The AFUL Explorer is a 1DD + 2BA hybrid, that was previously called the Performer 3 during pre-production.

Explorer 2.jpg

Tech-wise, AFUL has installed some special resonating acoustic tube in this IEM, unlike a conventional acoustic tubing.

439942109_828379012510880_8213407176433131970_n.jpg

Sound-wise the Explorer can be described as neutral with a generous sub-bass boost. Quite a special tuning compared to the dime-a-dozen Harmanish stuff we see every week.

AFUL Explorer.jpg

8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

It seems this bass tubing really works to confers big bass, so it is nice to see that AFUL is experimenting with exotic tech (case in point: the previous AFUL MagicOne has some special nautilus acoustic tube that uses air pressure to down-throttle frequencies and boost sub-bass, which is a weakness in single BAs like the MagicOne).

The Explorer is smooth in the upper mids and treble, but does not lack resolution. Sub-bass is big, with a fast and textured bass (it has even better bass quality than the more expensive AFUL Performer 5). Note edges are somewhat blunted to remove fatigue. Technicalities are at least above average to good, in terms of soundstage, imaging and micro-detailing, which is commendable considering this is not a steroid boosted treble type IEM that gives "fake clarity". Will need to do some A/B testing against other hybrids and report back regarding technicalities. From initial OOTB listening, perhaps maybe a nitpick would be some BA timbre for acoustic instruments.

The Explorer is small in profile, and fits well, with above average isolation. Also easily driven.

Overall, this is a promising hybrid. Definitely something different from the usual Harman suspects, but also incorporating some well-implemented novel tech.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #101,592 of 107,004
The AFUL Explorer is a 1DD + 2BA hybrid, that was previously called the Performer 3 during pre-production.

Tech-wise, AFUL has installed some special resonating acoustic tube in this IEM, unlike a conventional acoustic tubing.

Sound-wise the Explorer can be described as neutral with a generous sub-bass boost. Quite a special tuning compared to the dime-a-dozen Harmanish stuff we see every week.

It seems this bass tubing really works to confers big bass, so it is nice to see that AFUL is experimenting with exotic tech (case in point: the previous AFUL MagicOne has some special nautilus acoustic tube that uses air pressure to down-throttle frequencies and boost sub-bass, which is a weakness in single BAs like the MagicOne).

The Explorer is smooth in the upper mids and treble, but does not lack resolution. Sub-bass is big, with a fast and textured bass (it has even better bass quality than the more expensive AFUL Performer 5). Note edges are somewhat blunted to remove fatigue. Technicalities are at least above average to good, in terms of soundstage, imaging and micro-detailing, which is commendable considering this is not a steroid boosted treble type IEM that gives "fake clarity". Will need to do some A/B testing against other hybrids and report back regarding technicalities. From initial OOTB listening, perhaps maybe a nitpick would be some BA timbre for acoustic instruments.

The Explorer is small in profile, and fits well, with above average isolation. Also easily driven.

Overall, this is a promising hybrid. Definitely something different from the usual Harman suspects, but also incorporating some well-implemented novel tech.
Ohh, so that's why its bass is so addicting. Look at the bass shelf :dt880smile: This is the best bass and stage AFUL has ever achieved, IMHO. It's a shame that it's not more detailed and incisive. Perhaps with a finalised version of Cantor, we will have it all.

I think our impressions are nearly 100% matching, except the BA timbre. I listened to Sibelius concerto today and some larger orchestral works but I can't hear that problem. Perhaps I just don't know BA timbre.

Btw, mate, you spoiled the graph for me.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #101,594 of 107,004
Ohh, so that's why its bass is so addicting. Look at the bass shelf :dt880smile: This is the best bass and stage AFUL has ever achieved, IMHO. It's a shame that it's not more detailed and incisive. Perhaps with a finalised version of Cantor, we will have it all.

I think our impressions are nearly 100% matching, except the BA timbre. I listened to Sibelius concerto today and some larger orchestral works but I can't hear that problem. Perhaps I just don't know BA timbre.

Btw, mate, you spoiled the graph for me.

You and @baskingshark really drives my excitement on this one.

Screenshots_2024-05-16-16-42-00.png

May 16, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #101,595 of 107,004
You and @baskingshark really drives my excitement on this one.

I’m listening to this album introduced by Darko. It sounds awesome with W4 and Explorer.

The bass is so satisfying.

6A1ED961-96B5-4734-A4C0-E8AFCDAACA97.jpeg

I think this IEM either “scale” with more power or quite transparent to the source. I prefer it with W4 more than R3ii

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back