The discovery thread!
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #6,286 of 101,773
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #6,287 of 101,773
Quote:

I play for keeps........sometimes take my ball and go home!  But I do have the Somic's and the AD900X on their way....only keep what I need/like though!  I am too hard to please!

popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #6,288 of 101,773
finally got my Ele today!!!! I just now plugged it up, I'm using the amp from the e17 currently with it through my HD 598's, and let me tell you it sounds reallyyyyy really goood. i haven't had time to compare it to the E17's DAC, but I definantly would like to try and compare the Ele with an e11 to the e17, even though i wouldn't really consider myself qualified to do so. I do love my e17, but what I'm hearing right now.... is the best $18 I've ever put into audio. This was totally worth the wait.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6,289 of 101,773
Quote:
Using the MDR-1R+Ele+E11.. Sounds great. 

This combo works really well. The E11 adds some meat to the sound on the Ele dac. I likes it! I would love to hear how the E17 does against this same combo in sound.

finally got my Ele today!!!! I just now plugged it up, I'm using the amp from the e17 currently with it through my HD 598's, and let me tell you it sounds reallyyyyy really goood. i haven't had time to compare it to the E17's DAC, but I definantly would like to try and compare the Ele with an e11 to the e17, even though i wouldn't really consider myself qualified to do so. I do love my e17, but what I'm hearing right now.... is the best $18 I've ever put into audio. This was totally worth the wait.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #6,290 of 101,773
Quote:
 i haven't had time to compare it to the E17's DAC, but I definantly would like to try and compare the Ele with an e11 to the e17, even though i wouldn't really consider myself qualified to do so.

I have the ele and e11, so I'd love to hear that comparison!

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #6,291 of 101,773
I just bought an ELE off the forums. I'm looking forward to it. I really hope it pairs well with my DT 880.

Quote:

Hey Wayne,I'm gonna need to buy the E11 back! 
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #6,292 of 101,773
Quote:
On the subject of the XB60EX, how would the following compare:
Sony XB60EX for $35
JVC FX3X for $25

I would go for the FX3X. The Sonys have some rolled off highs and has some peakiness in the upper mids. The FX3X sound real good once you get them nicely burned in. The FX3X uses carbon drivers and has some very serious bass to them and the detail in the sound should be a step above the XB60.  I think the only one that would be better from the FX3X would be the higher end XB90EX but those cost much more.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #6,293 of 101,773
Quote:
I just bought an ELE off the forums. I'm looking forward to it. I really hope it pairs well with my DT 880.

Hey Wayne,I'm gonna need to buy the E11 back! 
tongue.gif

Sorry eke... ele + e11 +

is gonna sound too good!

I pulled the trigger on the 'ol ad900x
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #6,295 of 101,773
DannyBai:

Listening with your most powerful amp, which headphones would you pick as superior, the HE-500 or the AD900X?  Put it another way.  If you were to keep one of the two to never see the other one again which one would you keep?

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #6,296 of 101,773
Quote:

Ghost, Danny, Ds, anyone....

These aren't "bright" in any way, are they? My main concern is that they wouldn't ever venture into sibilant/harsh territory.

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on the 'ol ad900x
biggrin.gif

Good for you ! ...and welcome to the zone where there's no looking back !
biggrin.gif

I'm 100% sure you'll not regret getting these !

I've not notice any painful brightness or sibilence on the AD900X even on open box at a loud volume. 

Quote:

Hmm, the SMSL Fort pairs well with the ad900x's huh? I can see where this is taking me lol!

Quote:
Wayne is good like that. He knows whats up here..I suppose I can let up a bit once he turns supremus but for now.  Stay focused man!

Actually your E11 hooked up to your Ele will sound just as good if not better using the AD900X.  I don't know if a Fort is gonna be that much better over what you got. Especially since you got the E11 as well.  See what makes the Fort sound a bit fuller is that they have more amping involved more so than the Ele. So my thought is if you use your E11 hooked up it should be even more power than the Fort by itself. Plus you have 2 EQ bass boost on the E11 too if needed. That actually might be a better set up than the Fort itself.

Keep your eyes on the prize...I think Wayne would love the AD900X and I think you would love the CKS1000 ericp. Just thinking out loud.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Ele is no good, I find the Ele / AD900X combo enjoyable but it wasn't until I tried the AD900X with the Fort that I found the Ele a little too cool sounding for my taste (you might prefer it thought), the Fort just adds something to the vocals which I can't describe. The 2 DACs certainly have 2 different sound signatures even though they have the same chipset.

I don't have a Fiio E11 but I do have an E6 and adding that to the Ele just seems to upset the balance of the whole sound, I rather preferred the Ele output direct to the Headphones for a better SQ.

I have a Fiio E12 on pre-order, will let you know if this works for me (Ele > E12 > AD900X) when it arrives. The E12 is closer to the E11 in terms of SQ than the E6.

@ Wayne
I concur with the Nutman, when your AD900X arrives, hook it up direct to your Ele and listen,
a) if not satisfied, add in your Fiio E11 and listen again.
b) if still not satisfied, pull the trigger for a SMSL Forte ($46), plug that in and listen.
c) if still cannot satisfy, go amazon.jp and pull trigger for AD2000X  ....and again, listen.
d) if all that still won't do it for you,

......Pack up, sell away all your gears and stay well away from Head'Fi !
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #6,298 of 101,773
Quote:

I've only been comparing a little bit, and only with my HD 598's, and I've been using the amp in the E17 for both, that way i can compare just the DAC's first. the Ele seems to bring the "laid back" sound of the HD 598's forward, and makes it sound more full and beefy than it does with the E17's DAC. I'll try with other headphones tomorrow and with the e11, hopefully i can come up with a more detailed comparison as well. XD

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #6,299 of 101,773
Quote:
Quote:
Cash:

Since looking at a picture of them, I have always thought that the ridges on the Somic headphones outside cover meant that these have grills.  Is that right?  Can you introduce the tip of a needle through the ridges?

I don't keep needles in my dorm, but the plastic behind the ridges looks solid. I don't think there's a screen, but when I go home for the weekend I can check. If they're not semi-open, I wonder what would make them leak so much sound.

Are you already in college with just 16 or you are in some kind of residential/boarding high school?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back