The discovery thread!
Feb 13, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #72,496 of 99,327
how to measure it hehe :/
Basically if it’s wider than average DD nozzle I can’t use it.

Just get a cheap pair of calipers from AE, I think mine were from the three for $5.99 section. Need to get a battery to try them out. Anything has to be better than squinting through a magnifier as I hold holding the IEMs up to a ruler.

"It's about 5mm I guess!".
"That's not much bloody use. Will an eartip with a 4.37mm internal bore fit and stay on it?"
"Why don't you just try it and see?"
"Because I'm getting the measurements off a bloody web page. It will take weeks to get here, and I don't want to buy them if they don't fit!"
"What's wrong with the tips that came with the IEMs?"
"Don't get me started..."

That's just talking to myself, any discussion with someone else would probably go worse!:rolling_eyes:

Feb 13, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #72,497 of 99,327
Just get a cheap pair of calipers from AE, I think mine were from the three for $5.99 section. Need to get a battery to try them out. Anything has to be better than squinting through a magnifier as I hold holding the IEMs up to a ruler.

"It's about 5mm I guess!".
"That's not much bloody use. Will an eartip with a 4.37mm internal bore fit and stay on it?"
"Why don't you just try it and see?"
"Because I'm getting the measurements off a bloody web page. It will take weeks to get here, and I don't want to buy them if they don't fit!"
"What's wrong with the tips that came with the IEMs?"
"Don't get me started..."

That's just talking to myself, any discussion with someone else would probably go worse!:rolling_eyes:
Pretty much if spiral dots fit then it’s fine, and not referring to forcing the tip on.

Feb 13, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #72,500 of 99,327
That sounds appealing. What is the ZES mod you're referring to?

Take off the nozzle filter (its a thick paper damper), puncture a hole with needle in the center, and put back the nozzle filter.
This will give much better airflow for the bass, tighten the mid bass smear, much cleaner bass and mids area (this will bring mids a little bit forwarder).
Edited : I forgot I put little bit of foam inside the nozzle just to tame edges and 8khz boost

Secondly, if you want, take off the outer aluminium shell so left the green plastic shell, there are lot of vents on plastic shell, thus lead to larger soundstage because of semi open, but with trade off of passive isolation and ghetto look. A bit hard to open since you have to have force to "peel" the aluminium shell.

Edit : picture added

20230130_093911.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #72,501 of 99,327
I ordered a iBasso DC04PRO from a seller on Alix , I was speaking with Paul from iBasso on FB about my excitement on getting it. He asked for the seller so I shared. Next thing I know my order is cancelled and it says product unavailable and lost my money for now...

Sounds like someone jumped the gun as there were a bunch of sellers but not iBasso official.

All the DC04PRO pulled from ever seller so not sure what happened here.

Buyer beware.

Sad 😭
It sounds like you dropped the store in it. Then iBasso have given them and everyone else the hard word about releasing them early. I guess those stores will not be receiving any stocks before launch date! Don't let the store find out and certainly not before your refund comes through!

TL DR; Whoops, ratted myself out!:triportsad:

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #72,502 of 99,327
@ToneDeafMonk
I followed your advice and sent the seller of my faulty cable another message. This time they responded and offered a link to a new symbolic order (1m of litz I don't need) so they can send me the missing screw.
The cost of the litz ($0.88) is no problem, but then I get €4.52 shipping cost added. Seems a bit steep for their shoddy QC.
I hope they see my problem and respond with a better offer.

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #72,503 of 99,327
It sounds like you dropped the store in it. Then iBasso have given them and everyone else the hard word about releasing them early. I guess those stores will not be receiving any stocks before launch date! Don't let the store find out and certainly not before your refund comes through!

TL DR; Whoops, ratted myself out!:triportsad:
Turn out nobody on AliX is a authorized dealer. Linsoul or directly anybody else is just a reseller and no get no iBasso warranty. The rep also said it's going to be $129.00 USD if that's the case it's dead in the water too expensive.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #72,504 of 99,327
I tend to just try KBEAR 07 large, if that works then problem solved! Which reminds me, I need to order another five pairs.:L3000:
Try BGVP A07, that I think is the same as Kbear 07. And you can try BGVP W01 - they are good (I saw them in Akros' reviews).
The cheapest ones are here, but the store's rating is 88,5% - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004803448036.html
From a verified store - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004781989233.html (in this case you choose the batch with 5 different pairs and write to the seller privately to send it to you as you wish).

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #72,505 of 99,327
Are the ESX warm sounding like the BL-03?
ESX are noticeably warmer than CRA, CRA and EDA balanced.

One of the main criticism of ESX is being "too dark".
To my ears, the bass can be kept in bay by wide-bore tips.

Compared to Aria with its 5 and 10 kHz "spice it up" peaks, ESX are less promunent in treble, but without pronounced loss of resolution.

Compared to Blon 03, ESX bring a bit less treble, but also a bit less mid-bass to me, so comparably balanced, yet noticeable different - more meaty, hearty ESX, resolution is decent, compared to "organic" Blon that can rapidly loose resolution in complex tracks.

ESX effectively replaced Blon 03 and Aria for me (not to say that ESX are better than Aria; overall, perhaps, one notch less, but nicely fitting to my preferences).

ESX can serve a great complement to HZ Mirror (original) with its lean treble-oriented emphasis.

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #72,507 of 99,327
huh, having short convo with Akros, apparently Modded CXS is still among his favorite KZ/CCA.
thats like a third person mentioning modded CXS being quite a beast.
What mod did Akros do with the CXS?

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #72,508 of 99,327
You should grab the ZES if you like U signature, after quite easy mod, they are more open and the bass is the best KZ bass i ever heard, beating the long time champion budget bass for me, the XUN driver. Impactful but tight, good texture and reach deep.
To be honest I grab the ZES more than The Hola as beater set. They have Z1R DNA, if H40 is like baby Z1R, then the ZES is like his little brother of the baby, but have better bass part (H40 wins on technicalities of course, they are 1DD + 3 BA) but as overall, I like ZES more than H40. Super value fun set!
Take off the nozzle filter (its a thick paper damper), puncture a hole with needle in the center, and put back the nozzle filter.
This will give much better airflow for the bass, tighten the mid bass smear, much cleaner bass and mids area (this will bring mids a little bit forwarder).

Secondly, if you want, take off the outer aluminium shell so left the green plastic shell, there are lot of vents on plastic shell, thus lead to larger soundstage because of semi open, but with trade off of passive isolation and ghetto look. A bit hard to open since you have to have force to "peel" the aluminium shell.

Edit : picture added

Interesting!

I like the MST implementation of ZEX, having one generic ZEX (Lafitear LM1 MST+DD) incoming. LM1 has been reported an IF scenario that if ZEX was left in uncivilized forest but sounding wild and good.

And that LM1 is the only one MST implementation that has non-dual magnetic/cavity DD, with less bass impact to enjoy the MST. That ZES mod sounds like a LM1 tuning, I may grab one when I find a good deal for ZES for fun.

The recent KZ ZNA and ESX certainly re-impressed me about how well KZ is progressing their IEM manufacturing. Both are ”hit”, not ”miss”.

History of MST implementation

1st try: CCA NRA and ZEX
Less dampened MST with DD

NRA had some agressive peaks which was the very first gen “listen MST can produce treble extension” type tuning.

ZEX came later, it had some minor patch on peaks of MST, the fun tuned yet nicely balanced MST+DD implementation.

ZEX Pro (CRN),Crin attempted to fit ZEX to his target curve, a challenging effort to tame MST. KZ added one BA (maybe generating negative phasing to cancel out MST’s peaks), it was less dampened final output from upper mid to UHF, a lot dampening took place for taming KZ’s dynamic DD by filters.

End result was terrible. ZEX Pro timbre took hit , FR fit to somewhat Aria/HOLA style, but tonality felt you are listening to badly implemented noise cancelling headphones with muffled mid and lower range. This is like you are listening music in a very high milk-colored fog, disturbing imaging ever took focus.

This Finished the MST implementation attempt by KZ. We see no further newer releases from them after that. Until the ZES, KZ is still willing👀

CB6D7787-9609-4487-82DC-3F90DD90144C.png

ZEX , ZEX Pro, and ZES you can see some back and forth in tuning

A31B2775-030A-40BF-91CC-CC400EF63E47.png

ZEX and DQ6S, I can see ZES is DQ6S family, KZ tried to fit. That’s pinna gain compensation tuning (U12t, N5005) grand tuning family.

38ED7E35-3483-4B5E-8BF5-AC811A3005BA.png

However! There is tribe of Mountain Gorillas out there sourced same ODM devices of KZ playing in wilderness. Lafitear.

A shady shady company which offered “Beryllium-coated DLC“ LF1 for $15. That Berry-coated DLC thought to be an artifact of imagination , until Thieaudio Elixir/KiiBoom Allure‘s introduction after that LF1.

LF1 is probably a false advertisement, as you see most of Lafitear product sounds funny from their description. “see through” is misinterpreted as “sea thread” 😄

Then Lafitear jammed MST with DD on LF3 Plus (MST+DD, discontinued) and LF3 Pro (MST+BA+DD, a misinterpretation of ZEX Pro, BA wasn’t used to offset MST Peak but actually adding further peaks on top of MST👀, all uncontrolled wilderness of driver), a wild MST appearance.

Later they retuned LF3 Plus to LM1, the one I mentioned. A bit calmer Orangutan LM1 seemed to be.🦧

According to Lafitwar, MST‘s natural tuning is per that yellow FR
4738CEBB-678F-4C68-8639-B3FEE954AC89.jpeg

By supplementing lower bottom and mid by medium sized DD, I‘m interested how LM1 would sound.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #72,509 of 99,327
Interesting!

I like the MST implementation of ZEX, having one generic ZEX (Lafitear LM1 MST+DD) incoming. LM1 has been reported an IF scenario that if ZEX was left in uncivilized forest but sounding wild and good.

And that LM1 is the only one MST implementation that has non-dual magnetic/cavity DD, with less bass impact to enjoy the MST. That ZES mod sounds like a LM1 tuning, I may grab one when I find a good deal for ZES for fun.

The recent KZ ZNA and ESX certainly re-impressed me about how well KZ is progressing their IEM manufacturing. Both are ”hit”, not ”miss”.
I have ZEX Pro actually, never heard the original ZEX. The ZEX Pro Magnetostat can't be heard easily, especially without the mod.
The ZEX Pro also overdampened, seems like KZ just use easy way to match Crin's tuning with thick paper damper, that block the airflow. Bass is bloated. And seems like Crin didn't have any damper preferences or any engineering process with KZ, only sent them the tuning (I can't comment much but the result was pretty bad even though match with Crin's target).
And there were 2 version of ZEX Pro, the FR are different. Seems like the first batch sent to big reviewer have different FR.
I heavily mod my CRN / ZEX pro with quite good tonality and tuning, the XUN isn't smear anymore, attack is more precise, while mids also clearer. But the Magnetostat of the ZEX pro is under performed, I believe they are working, but barely audible, even after my mod.

But the ZES is different, even before I mod them, i can tell the Magnetostat is doing its job for high frequencies, airy and adding details and imaging.

I haven't heard CXS, but to date the ZES is maybe the best KZ i ever heard.
I rated the bass quality 7/10 or 7.5/10 which is passable and same level with KATO for picky bass man. That handled by 12mm (LCP?), the Magnetostat is considered bonus cherry on top for me.

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #72,510 of 99,327
I have ZEX Pro actually, never heard the original ZEX. The ZEX Pro Magnetostat can't be heard easily, especially without the mod.
The ZEX Pro also overdampened, seems like KZ just use easy way to match Crin's tuning with thick paper damper, that block the airflow. Bass is bloated. And seems like Crin didn't have any damper preferences or any engineering process with KZ, only sent them the tuning (I can't comment much but the result was pretty bad even though match with Crin's target).
And there were 2 version of ZEX Pro, the FR are different. Seems like the first batch sent to big reviewer have different FR.
I heavily mod my CRN / ZEX pro with quite good tonality and tuning, the XUN isn't smear anymore, attack is more precise, while mids also clearer. But the Magnetostat of the ZEX pro is under performed, I believe they are working, but barely audible, even after my mod.

But the ZES is different, even before I mod them, i can tell the Magnetostat is doing its job for high frequencies, airy and adding details and imaging.

I haven't heard CXS, but to date the ZES is maybe the best KZ i ever heard.
I rated the bass quality 7/10 or 7.5/10 which is passable and same level with KATO for picky bass man. That handled by 12mm (LCP?), the Magnetostat is considered bonus cherry on top for me.
How did you mod the ZES?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back