The discovery thread!
Feb 13, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #72,511 of 99,323
I have ZEX Pro actually, never heard the original ZEX. The ZEX Pro Magnetostat can't be heard easily, especially without the mod.
The ZEX Pro also overdampened, seems like KZ just use easy way to match Crin's tuning with thick paper damper, that block the airflow. Bass is bloated. And seems like Crin didn't have any damper preferences or any engineering process with KZ, only sent them the tuning (I can't comment much but the result was pretty bad even though match with Crin's target).
And there were 2 version of ZEX Pro, the FR are different. Seems like the first batch sent to big reviewer have different FR.
I heavily mod my CRN / ZEX pro with quite good tonality and tuning, the XUN isn't smear anymore, attack is more precise, while mids also clearer. But the Magnetostat of the ZEX pro is under performed, I believe they are working, but barely audible, even after my mod.

But the ZES is different, even before I mod them, i can tell the Magnetostat is doing its job for high frequencies, airy and adding details and imaging.

I haven't heard CXS, but to date the ZES is maybe the best KZ i ever heard.
I rated the bass quality 7/10 or 7.5/10 which is passable and same level with KATO for picky bass man. That handled by 12mm (LCP?), the Magnetostat is considered bonus cherry on top for me.
I’ve added some comments to ZEX Pro as well as MST implementation history and wild animal Lafitear✌️ Agree with CRN/ZEX Pro, I have both and was so disappointed with them and cut me off from trying new KZ for almost an year😞

ZES&ZNA uses 12mm new DD but not LCP diaphragm used for ESX. You can see from product page that they use different diaphragm material.

I do see KZ’s willingness in applying ESX LCP to their new product line ups. Looking forward for MST+LCP. Maybe SPD to back up thin sounding mid.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #72,512 of 99,323
huh, having short convo with Akros, apparently Modded CXS is still among his favorite KZ/CCA.
thats like a third person mentioning modded CXS being quite a beast.

I must have missed something. What mod of CXS is it? I would be grateful for a link if it is described somewhere.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #72,513 of 99,323
I must have missed something. What mod of CXS is it? I would be grateful for a link if it is described somewhere.
I guess the mod is removing the original filters and putting some (lower density) foam in the nozzles. That's what I plan to do with my CXS.

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #72,514 of 99,323
What mod did Akros do with the CXS?
For akros, apparently,

"The CXS, try it with a 400 filter on driver and a Oxygen or Moondrop filter on the noozle"

He still waiting for his second pair of CXS and he'll make a tutorial guide apparently.

---
I forgot who is the other cxs modder, one guys in KZ-discord and Xerus-kun maybe

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #72,515 of 99,323
Feb 13, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #72,516 of 99,323
Feb 13, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #72,517 of 99,323
Or you could also try to completely remove the thick paper damper filter and tune with the foam thickness....
Foam dampen effectively for higher range frequencies than paper / nylon damper

Foam = 2-15khz with more affecting area on higher frequencies area or mid to high trebles
Note : still better airflow than paper / nylon damper

Paper / nylon damper = dampening 2khz-8khz area with most affecting 2-4khz area or high mids area
Note : total blocked nylon / paper damper have caveat on blocked airflow thus lead to bass smears.
Note 2 : nylon filters pass through the high trebles area around 8 khz above

Depends on the peaks and which area is boosted, we need to see which damper is needed.
From my experiences, best conbination is foam + nylon /mesh damper with hole

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #72,518 of 99,323
Foam dampen effectively for higher range frequencies than paper / nylon damper

Foam = 2-15khz with more affecting area on higher frequencies area or mid to high trebles
Note : still better airflow than paper / nylon damper

Paper / nylon damper = dampening 2khz-8khz area with most affecting 2-4khz area or high mids area
Note : total blocked nylon / paper damper have caveat on blocked airflow thus lead to bass smears.
Note 2 : nylon filters pass through the high trebles area around 8 khz above

Depends on the peaks and which area is boosted, we need to see which damper is needed.
From my experiences, best conbination is foam + nylon /mesh damper with hole
Excellent info!
Btw. do you have any good source of new paper/nylon dampers? Or do you make them yourself?

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #72,519 of 99,323
Feb 13, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #72,524 of 99,323
Joyodio Shine: Many different tunings! I got to 11 and stopped....

Joyodio Shine.jpgJoyodio Shine.png

Frequency Response SquigLink

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #72,525 of 99,323
Sorry for asking, am being lazy, but are there any FiiO DAPs with a true line out? Or any DAPs with a DAC better than say the iPod?

xDuoo X20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back