The discovery thread!
Feb 9, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #72,331 of 102,969
I have not heard the Hexa bro. Although I have the QKX x HBB Khan. Some people say they sound similar. I like its bass response, I mean that sub-bass on it is drooling.
Also please don't get me wrong on the Galileo, it has a very good midrange and treble response. Basically things that sound inoffensive and smooth are my cup of tea. But they should also not sound very dark or something.
May I ask, where have you seen or heard that the Hexa and the Khan sound similar? Because from first hand experience, they sound nothing alike.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #72,332 of 102,969
May I ask, where have you seen or heard that the Hexa and the Khan sound similar? Because from first hand experience, they sound nothing alike.
I am not sure mate, I read somewhere a few weeks back. Also, I am not stating that they both sound the same, I have not heard the Hexa. Btw, how do you like the Khan?

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #72,333 of 102,969
How good full premium resin shell x single BA (Knowles ED29689) can be?

▶︎As usual personal purchase ($21 + tax with Flo Audio’s Store discount; you can buy their single DD Calla for the same price)
720FA016-7B05-4272-BC95-3D10C70B2FB0.jpegF8436346-AB17-4D64-B988-DC20966DF858.jpeg
449C9CE2-CFAF-461F-BE73-3E46266210AE.jpeg46DC4A7D-4FB8-4846-A00B-CE603F2E248B.jpeg7BCE8BCF-FEBC-416C-90F8-4F4169191C32.jpeg6F106325-15C2-49C0-998D-83AD7E4D7D7E.jpeg3E08C9BD-6AC0-4FFE-B228-0B37A78FDA5B.jpeg
▶︎trying with Stock cable & ear tips

Impression: Quite good! Tuning is mid-centric, natural bass floor, slight hint of resolutions, it does better than Neon.

Unlike ER4, Lily is designed to run on daily used phones, it runs on almost all sources.

For $21+ tax, I can definitely recommend Lily as introduction to soft listening. It sounds fuller than what I expected from a typical “compact“ sounding single BA.

I like Lily over QoA Vesper, they both share same traits, warm neutral with upper mid spotlighting, however Vesper’s dynamic driver leave a long long transient tails which reduces visibility. Meanwhile Lily‘s mid-bass leaves no mess, a clean decay. It matches better for this tuning.

Just found FR of Neon vs ER4S vs Lily and Calla on the same scale.
8862ABD3-85C4-4DA6-AC9F-D202E29677AA.png

QoA Vesper and KBEar Neon as a cross anchor
EBC978CA-0535-442F-B8DF-8C809D56E623.png

I guess fuller sense as a single BA comes from mid bass floor.
Some reports Lily changes behavior under different OI, I may play around this later.
C76AD130-C1FC-41FC-8B50-E7F7C9BDFF63.jpeg

Now I’m starting to trust Flo Audio’s tuning, I will try their dynamic Calla.

8928F2F5-15A4-4266-8BE6-D1235800EE79.jpeg
of course it's mid centric! LOL It's a single BA! The bass is nowhere to be found (yes, i'm sure "it's there"), but for the price, you can just as easily get some good sounding single DD which provide some semblance of bass weight and impact.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #72,334 of 102,969
I am sorry my friend that was related to TruthEar Zero. Since both the pairs have 2DD configuration. I have not heard any TruthEar product yet so I got confused there. My bad.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #72,335 of 102,969
of course it's mid centric! LOL It's a single BA! The bass is nowhere to be found (yes, i'm sure "it's there"), but for the price, you can just as easily get some good sounding single DD which provide some semblance of bass weight and impact.
Your memory is still binded to old single BA (Ety) maybe? Have you tried Lily?

I’d add Lily as BA introduction, and HOLA as dynamic introduction, safe bet.

Dynamic drivers has macro dynamism, but it may lack delicacy (not micro details I’m talking about ) sometime, and BA does cast the tracks with less energy, a feather touch delicacy, it doesn’t match with rough masculine songs, but it has a good use in many other tracks that “high impact of energy” are not their main theme.

It’s like cheese burger (DD) vs sandwich (BA), you sometime want something less greasy for the breakfast choice😄

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #72,336 of 102,969
Your memory is still binded to old single BA (Ety) maybe? Have you tried Lily?

I’d add Lily as BA introduction, and HOLA as dynamic introduction, safe bet.
My friend, I'll have to pass on that. My experience with single BA's are indeed old school, but I've also had recent experience with multi-BA set ups, and they always fall short of weighty sound expectations. The only reason to buy a single BA, knowing the inherent weakness of said set up, same with droplet, is to say you got a single BA in your collection (unless you listen to certain genres of music, like acoustic music). That's my opinion on the subject, based on my knowledge over 15 years with BA's and the known weakness of that single set up. A similarly priced and well tuned DD would be a better option.

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #72,337 of 102,969
I am not sure mate, I read somewhere a few weeks back. Also, I am not stating that they both sound the same, I have not heard the Hexa. Btw, how do you like the Khan

I am sorry my friend that was related to TruthEar Zero. Since both the pairs have 2DD configuration. I have not heard any TruthEar product yet so I got confused there. My bad

That makes more sense - yeah, I would assume the Zero and the HBB collab would sound similar considering the driver config. & similarities with the shell design. The Hexa and the Kahn sound nothing alike to my ears. I don’t own the Khan but I was interested in it when it was first announced. I heard it briefly a month ago and it wasn’t for me. Fit wasn’t great, in fact, it was difficult finding the right tips to get a decent seal. I tried about 4 or 5 different tips and none of them really gave me full confidence in the fit. From what I did hear, it was flat and nothing stood out, but that is what my ears told me. I’m glad some people really enjoy it, though.

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #72,338 of 102,969
My friend, I'll have to pass on that. My experience with single BA's are indeed old school, but I've also had recent experience with multi-BA set ups, and they always fall short of weighty sound expectations. The only reason to buy a single BA, knowing the inherent weakness of said set up, same with droplet, is to say you got a single BA in your collection (unless you listen to certain genres of music, like acoustic music). That's my opinion on the subject, based on my knowledge over 15 years with BA's and the known weakness of that single set up. A similarly priced and well tuned DD would be a better option.
Yea agree that single BA has physical limitations, and as you said it has good purpose to cast some acoustic genres.

HOLA handles everything in a better scale, with $18.99, but depending on objectives, I’d recommend Lily over HOLA to friends with ambient / east listening or primarily seeking healing music genres.

Lily can express the “ennui” nuance that HOLA and other dynamic driver one aren’t specialized for.

It has top note of midrange harmony, mid note of warmth, bottom note of sense of transparency.

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #72,339 of 102,969
I still think tuning and how good the build is a factor, while some sets can now been have very cheap(like extremely cheap). The tuning or the build is often not on pair with models costing more, still its not always like this(always some who just throw whatever BAs they can afford in the the IEM).

Truthear while tuned good + cost/sound ratio is excellent. They still has a cheap look and feel.

Same with form factor, they have huge nozzle in both HEXA and ZERO, no problem at all for me while a friend and also my wife cant use them. When I sold the Zero they buyer also complained to me about the nozzle being so big since I did not mention it in the listing. Mini Truthear rant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not saying the Galileo deserves its price, as there is so much you can get now under 100$.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #72,340 of 102,969

▶︎As usual personal purchase ($21 + tax with Flo Audio’s Store discount; you can buy their single DD Calla for the same price)

Impression: Quite good! Tuning is mid-centric, natural bass floor, slight hint of resolutions, it does better than Neon.

Unlike ER4, Lily is designed to run on daily used phones, it runs on almost all sources.

For $21+ tax, I can definitely recommend Lily as introduction to soft listening. It sounds fuller than what I expected from a typical “compact“ sounding single BA.

I like Lily over QoA Vesper, they both share same traits, warm neutral with upper mid spotlighting, however Vesper’s dynamic driver leave a long long transient tails which reduces visibility. Meanwhile Lily‘s mid-bass leaves no mess, a clean decay. It matches better for this tuning.

Lily is a re-discovery of “ah! You can play safe on mid-bass even with almost offensive floor of mid-bleed, single BA somehow balance out note weight“.

I’m pretty sure Feaulle’s H570 ear tips can lower this mid-bass, and make Lily more neutral sounding one, will try ear tip and cable roll later. Maybe Lily isn’t a Dunu Titan S beater, but it has more personality, I quite like Lily’s feather touch tuning.

Some reports Lily changes behavior under different OI, I may play around this later.

▶︎Tonal impression:
top note of midrange harmony
mid note of warmth
bottom note of sense of transparency

▶︎speciality
Lily can express the “ennui” nuance. It handles old recording tracks with good intention. I’m enjoying Waltz for Debby by Bill Evans, old old poor recording even remastered it has that monochrome tonality, Lily does great job playing back this tracks. Wood bass is more subtle as but still audible, it is how you’d hear in nice contemporary restaurants.

(If you visit Toronto, Canada, this George Restaurant has nice set of meal with jazz band with very reasonable price)

Just completed initial session and added some notes to Lily.

Thanks to @FranQL a new music discovery
YT:
YTM:

TD: https://tidal.com/track/154520073

It works very neatly with Lily.

Some additional visual reference:
Vent hole
B1EEB35A-B3A1-43FA-9346-17B7817A420E.jpeg

Faceplate
2CF6F079-8A72-4281-BEAF-CCAE5E10754A.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #72,341 of 102,969
Feb 9, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #72,342 of 102,969

720FA016-7B05-4272-BC95-3D10C70B2FB0.jpegF8436346-AB17-4D64-B988-DC20966DF858.jpeg
449C9CE2-CFAF-461F-BE73-3E46266210AE.jpeg46DC4A7D-4FB8-4846-A00B-CE603F2E248B.jpeg7BCE8BCF-FEBC-416C-90F8-4F4169191C32.jpeg6F106325-15C2-49C0-998D-83AD7E4D7D7E.jpeg3E08C9BD-6AC0-4FFE-B228-0B37A78FDA5B.jpeg

Lily is a re-discovery of “ah! You can play safe on mid-bass even with almost offensive floor of mid-bleed, single BA somehow balance out note weight“.

I’m pretty sure Feaulle’s H570 ear tips can lower this mid-bass, and make Lily more neutral sounding one, will try ear tip and cable roll later. Maybe Lily isn’t a Dunu Titan S beater, but it has more personality, I quite like Lily’s feather touch tuning.

8862ABD3-85C4-4DA6-AC9F-D202E29677AA.png

EBC978CA-0535-442F-B8DF-8C809D56E623.png

C76AD130-C1FC-41FC-8B50-E7F7C9BDFF63.jpeg
▶︎Tonal impression:
top note of midrange harmony
mid note of warmth
bottom note of sense of transparency

▶︎speciality
Lily can express the “ennui” nuance. It handles old recording tracks with good intention. I’m enjoying Waltz for Debby by Bill Evans, old old poor recording even remastered it has that monochrome tonality, Lily does great job playing back this tracks. Wood bass is more subtle as but still audible, it is how you’d hear in nice contemporary restaurants.
1675973601723.jpeg
CD3CB7C7-5A66-4E6C-BB4C-D2A429D3E0A6.jpeg
(If you visit Toronto, Canada, this George Restaurant has nice set of meal with jazz band with very reasonable price)

8928F2F5-15A4-4266-8BE6-D1235800EE79.jpeg
Where did you find the information about the driver being a Knowles ED29689? I can’t seem to find it on the product page.

Feb 9, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #72,343 of 102,969
I did a little search and it is not recommended to use an adaptor for 4.4 to 3.5. Apparently it does change the sound and it is not advised from an electrical standpoint. I don't have a lot of balanced connects and I have heard various opinions on this subject. But I decided to buy the 4.4 for Timmy's collab. I have some dac/amps with balanced connects so this should be ok.
As @PhonoPhi said, there is no electrical problem going from 4.4 to 3.5 with an adaptor. The adaptor simply "rewires" the IEM cable to non-balanced and you use the 3.5 mm non-balanced socket. But you cannot go from 3.5 mm terminated cable to 4.4 mm with an adaptor without possible electrical problems. The balanced connection on the source component will often provide a superior sound.

Edited to correct typos and mention that there is a rarer balanced 3.5 mm TRRS connector (not the standard TRS). Should you have one of these, then it is fine to go from 3.5 balanced to 4.4 mm balanced.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #72,344 of 102,969
It’s this T-Ear tips, Spring Tips has wider bore and they handle acoustic resonance in a different manner especially the treble area, both has good match ob Monitor style tuning as well as V-tuned IEMs
It was just the appearance I was referring to. Copycat designs do crop up frequently. There's a new Tin Hi-fi IEM which closely resembles the Revonext QT2.

Feb 9, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #72,345 of 102,969
Where did you find the information about the driver being a Knowles ED29689? I can’t seem to find it on the product page.
Ah I must have mixed with KBEAR Neon, yea I looked back a detailed review that made up my mind pulling a “go” for an unknown brand. It only says customized full range BA😅 Maybe some other full range BAs Lily could be.

By the way that review has recording signature of Lily, if you are interested you can play with neutral transducer/monitor headphone/IEM, for that recording signatures (A-B test of Original Source vs Lily’s recordings)
C3305BE8-D4C0-47B4-A622-FC468CB0139D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back