The discovery thread!
Feb 10, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #72,361 of 106,650
Lily can sound with monitor flat with immense level of details (ER4 class) with some source match, I get a flat bass and buffed treble on Line Out mode(a huge huge difference when compared to how other IEMs react with source change👀
I’d add note that Lily can be treble head satisfying IEM if someone has extensive variety of playing environment.
Yep sure can, just whack an 80 Ohm impedance adapter on it. Gives a treble boost and bass cut which flattens it out. Not my preferred signature for listening though!:L3000:

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #72,362 of 106,650
How good full premium resin shell x single BA (Knowles ED29689 unverified custom full range BA, maybe Knowles /Maybe Sonion) can be?

▶︎As usual personal purchase ($21 + tax with Flo Audio’s Store discount; you can buy their single DD Calla for the same price)

▶︎trying with Stock cable & ear tips

Impression: Quite good! Tuning is mid-centric, natural bass floor, slight hint of resolutions, it does better than Neon.

Unlike ER4, Lily is designed to run on daily used phones, it runs on almost all sources.

For $21+ tax, I can definitely recommend Lily as introduction to soft listening. It sounds fuller than what I expected from a typical “compact“ sounding single BA.

I like Lily over QoA Vesper, they both share same traits, warm neutral with upper mid spotlighting, however Vesper’s dynamic driver leave a long long transient tails which reduces visibility. Meanwhile Lily‘s mid-bass leaves no mess, a clean decay. It matches better for this tuning.

Lily is a re-discovery of “ah! You can play safe on mid-bass even with almost offensive floor of mid-bleed, single BA somehow balance out note weight“.

I’m pretty sure Feaulle’s H570 ear tips can lower this mid-bass, and make Lily more neutral sounding one, will try ear tip and cable roll later. Maybe Lily isn’t a Dunu Titan S beater, but it has more personality, I quite like Lily’s feather touch tuning.

Just found FR of Neon vs ER4S vs Lily and Calla on the same scale.

QoA Vesper and KBEar Neon as a cross anchor

I guess fuller sense as a single BA comes from mid bass floor.
Some reports Lily changes behavior under different OI, I may play around this later.

▶︎Tonal impression:
top note of midrange harmony
mid note of warmth
bottom note of sense of transparency

▶︎speciality
Lily can express the “ennui” nuance. It handles old recording tracks with good intention. I’m enjoying Waltz for Debby by Bill Evans, old old poor recording even remastered it has that monochrome tonality, Lily does great job playing back this tracks. Wood bass is more subtle as but still audible, it is how you’d hear in nice contemporary restaurants.

(If you visit Toronto, Canada, this George Restaurant has nice set of meal with jazz band with very reasonable price)

Now I’m starting to trust Flo Audio’s tuning, I will try their dynamic Calla.

I ended up with both the FloLily and the Audiosense DT100
An adapter should never change the signal in anyway, when ordering a cable with 3.5mm and 4.4mm they are the same cable the whole way to the jack.

Then inside the jack it's connected with separat ground for each ear on balanced or the ground is summed together on 3.5mm single ended. This also the same what happens inside a converter for 4.4mm to the 3.5mm.

If your afraid of a change just get something like this, then it's no cable inside the adapter changing anything.

54479997-95888511-11453-org.jpg

Also avoid impedance adapter as they will change the sound.

The problem with those straight adapters is that the increased effective length of the plug means you have just inserted a crowbar in the device socket. Particularly problematic for portable use!:L3000:

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #72,363 of 106,650
Yep sure can, just whack an 80 Ohm impedance adapter on it. Gives a treble boost and bass cut which flattens it out. Not my preferred signature for listening though!:L3000:
it’s not impedance adapter, it’s Output Impedance from playing source that needs to be jacked to up to skew the FR, adding further impedance on receiver side will further push up bass and roll off treble, with negative impact on impulse response (imaging focus probably will destroyed) if the playing source is a regular DAP.

Haha yea the flat bass is less popular preference.

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #72,364 of 106,650
I ended up with both the FloLily and the Audiosense DT100

The problem with those straight adapters is that the increased effective length of the plug means you have just inserted a crowbar in the device socket. Particularly problematic for portable use!:L3000:
Yea DT100 is another one I’m looking at. Hopefully I can find some nicely discounted one😁

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #72,365 of 106,650
Ah, SHIO has some PC volume sync lag glitch, it sometime produces 100db class huge square wave when pause/resuming, apparently it punctured one of my eardrum😞 I guess that patch will fix the issue.

Wow that is mega dangerous! I've not encountered it in the 2 weeks I had the SHIO though. This can not only destroy hearing but may blow sensitive BAs too!

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #72,366 of 106,650
Wow that is mega dangerous! I've not encountered it in the 2 weeks I had the SHIO though. This can not only destroy hearing but may blow sensitive BAs too!
I am curious as to how upset you are going to be about a damaged IEM, when you're deaf in that ear anyway?:thinking:

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #72,367 of 106,650
Bro you might have gotten your wish. Well, at least, with regards to amalgamating waifu artwork with some mythical handicraft!

TANGZU×SEEAUDIO Shimin Li - ENCOUNTER IEM.

Looks like a collab between See Audio and Tangzu. It features a new tuning and drivers, that are different from the original Shimin Li.

316296610_152196500889882_9075263831477474466_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/tangzuaudi...Xwk8pvnC5xmSUfRvWpPYKZHBW6adpdFdM54PZD51d4epl

Wow, the waifu even has different eye colours (Heterochromia). Wicked!

Some news on the upcoming Tangzu-See Audio Shimin Li collab AKA Encounter IEM.

Retailing at $49 USD, releasing end Feb.

Anyone in Tokyo to try it?

Looks similar externally to the original Shimin Li IEM but hope the tuning will be an upgrade!

Capture.PNG

https://www.facebook.com/tangzuaudi...PFWP8ZGor8B34xFupTf3yV76BLZtnpe5b6AmaCV1YMjHl

I am curious as to how upset you are going to be about a damaged IEM, when you're deaf in that ear anyway?:thinking:

Haha well it depends on the IEM in question. I wouldn't shed tears over a dead KZ pokemon (who's tons of BAs inside may not make a significant change to the sound or not be connected). Ah but if I blew some BAs from a QDC Anole VX or 64 Audio U18T cause of this volume glitch, that is like throwing 64 kidneys down the drain! Eardrums be damned in that case!

They probably sent it by balloon and it's somehow blown of course. There may not have been any tracking updates for a couple of days! :rolling_eyes:

Balloon.jpeg

Legend has it that this limited edition lego piece might be included as a free gift in the next CHIFI you buy from Aliexpress.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #72,368 of 106,650
Balloon.jpeg

Legend has it that this limited edition lego piece might be included as a free gift in the next CHIFI you buy from Aliexpress.

I'm waiting for the special edition with three balloons, and a bonus orange haired, concerned citizen with a blindfold! :rolling_eyes:

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #72,369 of 106,650
it’s not impedance adapter, it’s Output Impedance from playing source that needs to be jacked to up to skew the FR, adding further impedance on receiver side will further push up bass and roll off treble, with negative impact on impulse response (imaging focus probably will destroyed) if the playing source is a regular DAP.

Haha yea the flat bass is less popular preference.
What would the iFi iematch in 4.4 do to the sound fix it or muck it up?

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #72,370 of 106,650
Wow friends, looks like this upcoming Star River IEM from KBEAR/TRI has tuning switches:
329850246_1285205652209534_1780884512867719984_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/kbearoffic...qHaDk9LSaqBvvvyPmvY9GMqvuGQiPJVzSmdScbYGPSP5l

Wow it looks like the tunable dual DD KBEAR Star River is indeed $49 USD, but for the first week. Thereafter it reverts to $59 USD.

Very interesting, I don't think I have encountered a tunable dual DD (beryllium-plated 10 mm and 6 mm titanium DD). Has 4 tuning options.

329724044_882848219600846_8800527237900131727_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/kbearoffic...oURFbUtYkDqAmBWZK9Yyh1z1Fx1jUGgErkRQHteBcdxrl

https://keephifi.com/products/tri-star-river

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #72,371 of 106,650

Attachments

• 800_12.jpg
    800_12.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #72,372 of 106,650
Or same price no tuning switches and Metal shells. ?

I was not a fan of the Shimin Li tuning.

But both companies better come to the table with great tuning.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1676013713168.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676013713168.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #72,373 of 106,650
The new one should be different due to collab, driver changed and tuning. Jeez I Hate all the new cheap releases, pushes my curiosity.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #72,374 of 106,650

When it comes to a tie-breaker (if both products are same priced), whoever has more Waifus on the packaging will win LOL.

But on paper, probably the 4 tuning options (and unusual 2 DD concept) of the KBEAR Star River arguably gives it more versatility, since it can be tuned to 4 different FR (assuming the switches ain't gimmicks).

Yeah I didn't like the original Shimin Li tuning too, but this one probably has different tuning, and is a collab.

Great time to be a budget audiophile!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #72,375 of 106,650
We have some info on the new Tin HIFI IEM.

It is called the C5 Space Planet.

Seems to be a pseudo planar (Square planar driver) + BA, in the same vein as the Celest Gumiho

https://www.facebook.com/TINhifiOff...6Gahw37YPrv88tQPzo6uinZ2eUUe9eyxQ7gr8oaqNHM6l
Love the fact that TinHifi refers to it as Square Plate Diaphragm, avoiding for calling it Planar altogether.
Kinera refers to it as Square Planar Diaphragm to side step that its not a "true" planar.
and TRN is the odd one out to refer to it as Planar driver in the main material and Square Planar Driver in the rest of marketing material.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back