The discovery thread!
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #52,231 of 103,050
I'm really getting excited for the NM2+, since I am totally digging the CCA CST for the amazingly natural timbre for a cheapo. It's got the best timbre of any of my single dynamics, and that includes the IE800. It actually rivals the sublime timbre of the JVC FW01 and FX850. Yeah, i said it. Now the JVC's had slightly better resolution, but as far as toe to toe with natural timbre, they are right in that ball park. Mind you the technicalities and performance are miles ahead of the $12 CCA CST, but not the timbre. These are fantastic cheapos, so if the NM2+ can provide similar timbre with performance of the JVC's or Sennheisers, then my ears are going to be extremely happy campers. The A7 just doesn't have that kind of timbre. Nope.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #52,232 of 103,050
Received a set of the Dunu DM-380 yesterday. Very interesting, bought from AMP3 during a one-day half-price sale. Triple titanium drivers, 1x DD 6mm bass driver, 1× 5mm DD mids driver and 1× 5mm DD treble driver, fixed cable. Sounded a bit lame from the off....until I'd broke in for an hour and put on the magic panacea.....Spiral Dot L. Game changer. The stock tips looked good but sounded awful. I have seen 3 reviews. One loves them, one rates them and one thinks they are tat. These are really good in most ways except the fixed cable. Dunu are possibly the most consistent brand and these £24 Black Friday offerings belie what they can deliver. These are not tame, very punchy, impactful sound, that covers the FR well. Good build quality....just that fixed cable. The sound doesn't hide and sounds great from my Samsung S9 plus. For a cheap pair of mobile phone IEMs...these are the guys. Way better than expected. It's the 'tips' that do it. Reviewers are often stuck reviewing with stock tips. Just a simple, silly thing like a change of tip, turns these guys from a frog into a prince.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #52,233 of 103,050
Well, this is not sth new but for me a discovery. I had this Audio Technica CKM-1000 which were top line IEM in its series in the past. I exchanged it for CKS-1000 plus with some money when I was heading towards details than being bass head. Having it for such cheap price made me think it's not sth good. I should admit that I used it with weak sources and I kinda underestimated it. People were saying there are plenty of fakes in the market. I always knew mine is original but it's special character - especially sibilance - was keeping me away from it that I even forgot it. I found this titanium beauty with a big 14mm DD in one of the boxes waiting for me. So, I decided to read some reviews but nothing out there except one website discovered also that there was no review even in Head-Fi world.

I played some songs with my dx160. This guy definitely needs power to give its potential and really hard to tame because of its sibilance. Maybe Poweramp is not a great player in terms of sound quality but I still like it. With the recent release - I'm one of the testers -, it has equalizer with 32 configurable frequencies which made me tame the sibilance more precisely. So, I adjusted between 4-8khz which ended up with more details and softer presentation.

This guy's soundstage is great. Very dark and almost 3 dimensional. It has decent technically but lacks some sparkles. But, its power in the mids that makes me sometimes surprised with a detail that I haven't heard before. CKM series were meant to be for mids actually and CKS series for bass so not a surprise. However, it has very strong bass impact with great sub-bass extension. I believe its titanium body also plays a good role with the timbre of it. Definitely great with Jazz, Rock, Classical Music, Trance. But things get sometimes out of control with too many instruments. So, it definitely a great server with less things adding texture to them. Imaging is good, puts the instruments in their own location nicely and seperates them. Not a TOTL iem of course but very very special. Im glad I found it back.

I'm also thinking to write a review for it in Head-Fi. But I need to spend some time with this buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_122138_030.jpg
    IMG_20201130_122138_030.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #52,234 of 103,050
Nov 30, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #52,235 of 103,050
Nov 30, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #52,236 of 103,050
Yeah the FH ridges mixed with Luna/IER-Z1R.

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #52,237 of 103,050
Another member alerted me of Fiio’s FD5 announcement.

https://fiio.com/newsinfo/454678.html?templateId=1133604

Diamond dome coated beryllium diaphragm unit. Hmm. Sounds interesting...

I made a search but couldn't find a detailed info. Only this :

"Indeed, the beryllium tweeter domes contained within the speakers are actually coated with a fine layer of diamond via “chemical vapor deposition”, which Wolf tells us allows the M9s to act across a “wider frequency range”.

That diamond deposit, along with the use of beryllium allows the drivers to move in pistonic motion; in other words, they move rigidly back and forth to avoid distortion, creating an accurate reproduction of the music you’re listening to, revealing details you may never have heard before. "

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...-speaker-diamonds-beryllium-and-a-lot-of-work

Fancy name though.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #52,238 of 103,050
1606749020633.png

This year for me is all about the long awaited sequal to one of my faves the IT04. The older IT04 with an upgraded cable was and still is a great hybrid for me and something that went a bit under the radar. This one was a no brainer for me as it was recently launched. IBasso tunes with the best of them and their earphone are all about value. Hard to put a value statement on a $899 earphone but I will find out how these compare with the big boys I have a feeling they will more than hang. This was the one earphone I have been looking forward to all this year and it will be my last earphone I buy this year. I will most definitely let you all know how this one turns out.

Ibasso track record speaks for itself. I haven't be let down by a single item of their be it an amp, dap or earphone. I am gonna doubt they will not pay full attention to what is their flagship earphones. Can't wait for this one.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #52,239 of 103,050
Is there a difference in tuning between the black and the silver one Jasper? I personally prefer a sound signature with more lows/mids and less treble, to make it easier for long term listening. The Jasper looks very interesting to me right now since I like its form factor and the fact that it is a single dynamic driver (which I prefer for timbre and coherency). From the reviews I've seen, it does seem to have a natural tonality with slightly more bass than neutral. Looking at the frequency response curve, the Jasper might have a bit more treble than I prefer, but I could always EQ that down if it bothers me.

How do you find the mids and vocals on the Jasper - are they ahead of the treble? Also, how is the bass? Does it have good rumble and natural tonality/texture? Also, how is the isolation and comfort? Thanks!

Final silver and black models have the same tuning. Prototypes have different tunings. Final one is natural-neutral, the second tuning was more fun V-shaped with a bigger mid bass and brighter, more energetic treble. I like the final one more, safer, vocals are more romantic, presentation is warmer, yet the background is clearer.

Lows aren't huge in quantity, but have great quality. Attack is well defined, decay is natural, texture is good (maybe even one of the best in their price range, for sure noticable better than KXXS). There is good dynamic and - when songs call for it - Jaspers hits with a nice rumble and authority. In many songs they could sound quite big and bold thanks to their great lows.

Lower mids have a bit of added warmth from lows and instruments have nice tonality, but aren't pushed upfront. Male vocals are natural, clear, detailed. Female ones are a bit more forward and lively, yet smooth and natural, not shouty. Never sound disconnected.

Highs are quite safe, cymbals won't hit you with a painful crash for sure. Smooth, yet lively. The more I listen to them, the more I like their highs' extension. Lower treble is a good step behind higher pitched female vocals. I like them with Acoustune AET07a and Azla Sedna Short, but for your preferences JVC Spiral Dots could be better (highs are even smoother, lows are fuller and soundstage stay nice and airy).

Comfort is very good and most users shouldn't have a problem with wearing them easly. Shells are very well made and have some weight (more than Falcon-C, lighter than ikko OH10), but aren't too heavy in the ears. Isolation is quite standard for a single DD model with a small metal shells -average with silicon tips, bit better with foams.

If it helps for test platform I use:
DAPs: LPGT, PAW 6000, Shanling M8/M6 Pro/M6/M5s/M0, iBasso DX220 (AMP1 MKII, AMP7), DX160, HiBy R2/R5,
DAC/AMPs: iBasso DC01/DC02/DC03, Qudelix-5K, EarStudio Radsone ES100, xDuoo Link/Link2, ikko Zerda, Shanling UP2/UP4, Oriolus 1795, Aune BU1
Some tracks: Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue", Muddy Waters "Folk Singer", Vangelis "Earth", "51 Masterpieces of Classic", The Beatles "Yellow Submarine (Remastered)", Johnny Cash "American III: Solitary Man", Depeche Mode "Delta Machine", Gary Numan "Savage: Songs From A Broken World", Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth", Nirvana "Nevermind", Disturbed "The Sickness" and "Immortalized", Samael "Hegemony", Laibach "Spectre", Suicide Commando "Axis of Evil", Gojira "Magma", Vader "Revelations", Lazarus A.D. "The Onslaught", In This Moment "Ritual" and "Blood", Kavinsky "Nightcall", Woodkid "The Golden Age", VNV Nation "Automatic", Lorde "Pure Heroine", Lana Del Rey "Born to Die", Lindsey Stirling "Brave Enough", Morcheeba "Blood Like Lemonade", Adele "21", The Prodigy "Invanders Must Die", The Glitch Mob "See Without Eyes", Guzior "Evil_things", Szpaku "Atypowy", soundtracks from "Gladiator" and "Rocky"

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #52,240 of 103,050
1606749020633.png

This year for me is all about the long awaited sequal to one of my faves the IT04. The older IT04 with an upgraded cable was and still is a great hybrid for me and something that went a bit under the radar. This one was a no brainer for me as it was recently launched. IBasso tunes with the best of them and their earphone are all about value. Hard to put a value statement on a $899 earphone but I will find out how these compare with the big boys I have a feeling they will more than hang. This was the one earphone I have been looking forward to all this year and it will be my last earphone I buy this year. I will most definitely let you all know how this one turns out.

Ibasso track record speaks for itself. I haven't be let down by a single item of their be it an amp, dap or earphone. I am gonna doubt they will not pay full attention to what is their flagship earphones. Can't wait for this one.

I also think that iBasso IT07 are very very good. Nice upgrade from IT04. Not only even better sound, but also better shell design and new silver cable.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #52,241 of 103,050
Just posted the review on SA3, overall really mature tonality. It has smooth and fatiguing free yet engaging sound, the female vocal presentation is realistic and top tier level for its price. If you looking for IEM in this price range, don’t forget to check this out. Have a great week.
My take on SA3:https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-sa3.24570/reviews#item-review-24843

67D92E67-D56B-4046-8434-7A9E79FC3B8F.jpeg

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #52,242 of 103,050
Looks like a new Moondrop Blessing 2 variant (called the Dusk) is releasing soon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CINn4WbpWPP/

Seems to be a collab between Moondrop and Crinacle. Seems to be more bassy than the Blessing 2 with maybe some slight drop in the upper mids quantity.

dusk.jpg

graph.jpg

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #52,243 of 103,050
23DD5BCA-B919-4FD4-A9D1-F0B9C0DC496E.jpeg

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #52,244 of 103,050
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #52,245 of 103,050
Looks like a new Moondrop Blessing 2 variant (called the Dusk) is releasing soon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CINn4WbpWPP/

Seems to be a collab between Moondrop and Crinacle. Seems to be more bassy than the Blessing 2 with maybe some slight drop in the upper mids quantity.

Wow, looking pretty interesting. I wonder if there will be any differences in shell/drivers. Also, nice box art. Love the megane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back