The discovery thread!
Dec 1, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #52,261 of 106,616
Can't wait to get the NM2+ and Tape Pros to compare. All of my purchases have shipped, so they are all in various roads to delivery.

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #52,262 of 106,616
Also looking forward to comparing the Fiio X5 III with the Hiby R5.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #52,264 of 106,616
1606881930998.png

Don't know if you guys know about Thinksound and their new in20 earphones shown.
Thinksound is headed by a guy named Aaron Fouriner who is a firm believer in not fixing what isn't broken. He uses eco friendly designs and only uses dynamics in all of his earphones. If this wood design looks familiar that is because it was copied by manufacturers in China.

The sound these emit however are unique. This vented wood earphone takes on that wood timbre a smooth full bodied speaker like sound in your ears. I had the opportunity to review a lot of their past earphones and headphones and they are all consistent and are tuned by Aaron himself. I believe they have been making earphones since 2009. Early this year it bumbed me out to hear that these guys shut their web site and were no longer in business.

It surprised me again when I recently found out that they are back in business. Thinksound is the equivalent to that small ma and pa shops you knew when you was growing up to get some ice cream and some snacks when you had some pocket change. These guys are a small operation that takes pride in their workmanship and especially their sound.

If you have never heard a thinksound earphone I encourage folks to find out about them as they have bigger plans for the future of Thinksound but it starts with a single offering. These earphones here.

It is literally the exact same design for just about all their earphones they have made in the past minus one USP1 pewter housing they did. This one perhaps representing just about all of them in one form or another. I will write a review for this one but. These earphones deserve mention as they are trying to resurrect the older style of earphone with these and yes it has a fixed cable. They were all fixed cables back in the day. Lol.

What made him revive these earphones is that he had numerous request for his wood earphones during lock down and shut down of his company. He is now trying to revive Thinksound so this seems to be a conglomeration of his wood design and the first of hopefully many new designs. If you guys want to get a glimps of the old school tuning and design. Support these guys as I would like nothing more than to see these guys do well. There are less and less companies like Thinksound now a days and that is a shame.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #52,265 of 106,616
New FAAEAL IEM. Bullet shaped set. Called the Poppy. Looks non detachable cable wise.
Going at $12 - 14 on a few shops on Aliexpress. Single DD 6 mm.

Since it is called Poppy, could it be a gateway drug IEM to the music hobby? "Religion is the opium of the people" as Karl Marx says, maybe for us, "Music is the opium of the audiophile". But if the graph on the store page is legit, it sure does looks scary, it looks like something drawn in a kindergarden TBH. FWIW, FAAEAL is better known for their earbuds and their last IEM the FAAEAL Hibiscus had polarizing reviews. Any brave souls who wanna try this druggie IEM?

Capture4.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #52,267 of 106,616
New FAAEAL IEM. Bullet shaped set. Called the Poppy. Looks non detachable cable wise.
Going at $12 - 14 on a few shops on Aliexpress. Single DD 6 mm.

Since it is called Poppy, could it be a gateway drug IEM to the music hobby? "Religion is the opium of the people" as Karl Marx says, maybe for us, "Music is the opium of the audiophile". But if the graph on the store page is legit, it sure does looks scary, it looks like something drawn in a kindergarden TBH. FWIW, FAAEAL is better known for their earbuds and their last IEM the FAAEAL Hibiscus had polarizing reviews. Any brave souls who wanna try this druggie IEM?

Capture4.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Good vibes and karma to all those brave souls who will be the guinea pigs for Faaeal and the community. I'm assuming a handful of folks will receive this as a review sample so not many will lament paying for them if they're bad.

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #52,269 of 106,616
1606881930998.png

Don't know if you guys know about Thinksound and their new in20 earphones shown.
Thinksound is headed by a guy named Aaron Fouriner who is a firm believer in not fixing what isn't broken. He uses eco friendly designs and only uses dynamics in all of his earphones. If this wood design looks familiar that is because it was copied by manufacturers in China.

The sound these emit however are unique. This vented wood earphone takes on that wood timbre a smooth full bodied speaker like sound in your ears. I had the opportunity to review a lot of their past earphones and headphones and they are all consistent and are tuned by Aaron himself. I believe they have been making earphones since 2009. Early this year it bumbed me out to hear that these guys shut their web site and were no longer in business.

It surprised me again when I recently found out that they are back in business. Thinksound is the equivalent to that small ma and pa shops you knew when you was growing up to get some ice cream and some snacks when you had some pocket change. These guys are a small operation that takes pride in their workmanship and especially their sound.

If you have never heard a thinksound earphone I encourage folks to find out about them as they have bigger plans for the future of Thinksound but it starts with a single offering. These earphones here.

It is literally the exact same design for just about all their earphones they have made in the past minus one USP1 pewter housing they did. This one perhaps representing just about all of them in one form or another. I will write a review for this one but. These earphones deserve mention as they are trying to resurrect the older style of earphone with these and yes it has a fixed cable. They were all fixed cables back in the day. Lol.

What made him revive these earphones is that he had numerous request for his wood earphones during lock down and shut down of his company. He is now trying to revive Thinksound so this seems to be a conglomeration of his wood design and the first of hopefully many new designs. If you guys want to get a glimps of the old school tuning and design. Support these guys as I would like nothing more than to see these guys do well. There are less and less companies like Thinksound now a days and that is a shame.

Thanks for the heads up. I really like thinksound's house tuning. I am interested in the new IEM. I have too many IEMs as it is, but what is one more?

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #52,270 of 106,616
Thinksound tuning is more western in that they dont include a big pinna gain on their tunings. Warm smooth full bodied analogue type sound. Listening to some older recordings using the in20 is a treat. Elvis. yes Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Neil Diamond. Older rock like Zep, Rush, Queen. Amazing.

I have to admit after reviewing the Dunu SA6 you want to talk about a complete and total different sound in the in20. Lol. This is what makes our hobby so interesting. You can hear the same tracks with 2 completely different takes on the sound with 2 different earphones with both sounding very good in the process.

These are for folks that like warm smooth analogue like sound. Old timers especially will dig these. They aren't for everyone, especially if your into your analytical type tunings. Analytical the in20 is not. They do sound like speakers in your ears.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #52,271 of 106,616
So I've spotted lz l6 mini that used to cost substantially more are actually fairly cheap right now, does anyone have any impressions of them? Every review keeps referencing the 180usd price to rate them, but now that they're closer to 70usd, perhaps they're incredible for the price?

I'm used to the moondrop ssr for reference and have blon bl03.

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #52,272 of 106,616
So I've spotted lz l6 mini that used to cost substantially more are actually fairly cheap right now, does anyone have any impressions of them? Every review keeps referencing the 180usd price to rate them, but now that they're closer to 70usd, perhaps they're incredible for the price?

I'm used to the moondrop ssr for reference and have blon bl03.
They are pretty good, but there are a ton of newer iems at that price it is at right now that are performing on the same level SQ wise. And they do have 1 flaw that could be a dealbreaker for some, and that is the very recessed male vocals (and it doesnt help that the female vocals are forward, that just makes the contrast between male/female very big).

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #52,273 of 106,616
So given the main new meta within the price range seems to be the nm2+ or shuoer tape pros, what's the main differences, advantages and differences between the two?
The tape pros sound appealing due to being able to tailor the tuning to my taste.

However, I'm not getting them til around February when I return from interstate work, so if the OG tape goes on sale for an incredible price, would they be far better value or do the pros superceed them that much?

I find unique tech and innovation often leads to an interesting sound even if it's flawed and the piezo in the 1more e1008 keeps making me come back to it even if I prefer the tuning of other buds.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #52,274 of 106,616
The Tape Pros are still in the process of delivery. Very few have them, but from the few reviews, it sounds like the treble was tamed down a bit and the bass brought up a bit, but still retaining it's detail retrieval capabilities? Mine are in transit, and i should have them by next week?

Dec 2, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #52,275 of 106,616

Users who are viewing this thread

Back