The discovery thread!
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #52,246 of 106,664
Wow, looking pretty interesting. I wonder if there will be any differences in shell/drivers. Also, nice box art. Love the megane.

Haha I think if some other budget CHIFI companies use an anime box for marketing, they can easily jack up the price of the gear by 2 times and fanboys/otakus will still buy it!

Can you imagine opening an anime box and discovering a shouty KZ inside?

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #52,247 of 106,664
Dec 1, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #52,248 of 106,664
Speaking of waifu-adorned IEM boxes...

IMG_20201201_165844923.jpg

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #52,249 of 106,664
Dec 1, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #52,251 of 106,664
I was tempted to grab them, but I wanted to wait for reviews before deciding. I told myself I could wait, but that cover art tempts me.

I wasn't going to get them but all my resolve ebbed away when one popped up on sale locally for USD25 equivalent (down from the usual USD40). I was definitely on that at once haha :D

she sure is a cute one, even more so than the SSR waifu

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #52,252 of 106,664
Are they any good?

Running back to the office at once to listen to them properly! But first impressions are that these just won everything and will most likely be my default recommendation under 50 freedom bucks.

They like power though. Balanced cable (KBear limpid) has been ordered.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #52,253 of 106,664
Running back to the office at once to listen to them properly! But first impressions are that these just won everything and will most likely be my default recommendation under 50 freedom bucks.

They like power though. Balanced cable (KBear limpid) has been ordered.

So you like them more than the CST? Haven't taken them out of my ears since i got them.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #52,254 of 106,664
So you like them more than the CST? Haven't taken them out of my ears since i got them.

I was always a fan of the SSR in spite of it being somewhat hot in the upper-midrange. The drivers in the Super Spaceship duo deliver really brilliant highs and detailed, intimate vocals, as well as rather impressive imaging capabilities for a single DD. The SSR however had almost no sub-bass and a very polite mid-bass which led to certain tracks having a harshness or glare at higher listening volumes. While it is early days with the SSP, the additional low end weight is immediately noticeable. All the complaints about it being overly bright can now basically be quashed. While it still has the same upper mids boost as the SSR, the perceived sound is now significantly more balanced and slightly W-shaped.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #52,255 of 106,664
IMG_20201201_182639627~2.jpg

i'm in love

IMG_20201201_182755010~2.jpg
Other subtle ways in which the SSR and SSP differ:
  • The painted shells now sport a fine matte finish rather than the office-furniture type lacquer of the SSR
  • The pouch is now made of pleather rather than fabric
  • The 2-pin connectors on the stock cable are now made from clear rather than translucent plastic

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #52,256 of 106,664
Assorted sound impressions with the Moondrop SSP.

Setup: medium stock tips, stock cable, ZX-300 single-ended output, 320kbps MP3 or better

• Muse - Supermassive Black Hole: textured, authoritative sub-bass. Distinct layering of vocals and instruments, no melding
  • The Killers - My Own Soul's Warning: male vocals are not recessed. Guitar rhythms are energetic and vast, rather tall stage
  • Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King: Punchy and tight mid-bass complemented by sub-bass rumble. Precise instrument separation. No harshness or sibilance
  • Avril Lavigne - Complicated: the shrieking banshee test. The SSP gets a pass on this one. Her vocals are in line with the drumming rather than being way ahead of it

• ClariS - Prism: vocals are sufficiently detailed to be able to tell the otherwise similar-sounding duo apart.
  • Nightwish - I Want My Tears Back: SSP copes well with the complex instrumentation in the background. Most elements of the sound can be picked out without too much effort. It isn't just guitar.
  • Eve x Sou - Myoujou Galactica: bright, detailed, brilliant presentation without being too much of a good thing. 8-bit buzzer sound effect is in the background where it should be.
  • Toto - Africa: Drums have weight and authority. The various synths and percussion elements are well separated. The word here is precise. Nothing is bleeding into one another, at least that I can tell.

• Frank Sinatra - My Way: Lush and rich tonality; instruments have room to breathe. Trumpets are a tad on the bright side. Strings have a sense of height to them. Sinatra is positioned front and center, the slight grain in his voice is represented well.
  • Hayley Williams - Simmer: Subtle details in her whispers and breaths are brought out. Good sense of spacing as the drums pan around in a 180 degree arc.
  • Rilo Kiley - A Man/Me/Then Jim: The test of acoustic guitar-led folk rendition. Sounds as good as on the SSR, which is to say, very good indeed. Excellent natural timbre. It's like I'm there in the room with her.
In summary, the SSP carries over all of the strengths of the SSR and adds a generous helping of low-end weight. If the track calls for it, it can rumble and thump all right while keeping up a detailed, bright, "hi-res" presentation across the rest of the frequency range. There's nary any mid-bass bloat or bleeding into the mids, and male vocals are not sacrificed and crushed for the sake of fake details here. This is good.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #52,257 of 106,664
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #52,258 of 106,664
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Zen$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #52,260 of 106,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back