The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #52,216 of 106,674
CAL!'s are a good value, even in today's market with so many more options available. Still use mine often.

Which Fostex do you find them comparable to?

These are actually my first encounter with a Fostex OEM product so I don't really have a point of comparison. I don't use the CAL!s when out and about due to their relatively poor isolation, but they provide a dynamic, engaging and just plain fun listen at home. They sit really lightweight and non-fatiguing on my head as well, which I suppose is the main benefit of its creaking plastic build.

I will say, if this is what Fostex can do in terms of driver quality in a cheapish basic headphone, I clearly ought to take a serious look at their higher tier products :)

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #52,217 of 106,674
CCA CST + Spiral Dot tips + Sony A45 + $12.00 = Absolutely fantastic!! One of the newest budget kings. Forward mids and highs, but a very responsive and punchy bass and i was wrong about the stage. It's wide and tall, but lacks 3D imaging and depth, but that's quibbling. Very resolving, and the most natural and high resolution timbre for an earphone in the $10-30 range, and these are just as good as any of the other CCA hybrids I own. Very well tuned and a perfect marriage with the Sony. Still haven't played them through the Hiby R5 or Cowon J.

Agreed. Listening to my CSTs out of the ZX300 at the moment with Hybrid tips and these little woodies are acquitting themselves well on King Crimson at the moment. All it needs out of the box is a tip swap to bring the bass a tad more forward so that it is in line with where the mids and treble are. The MH750/755 still edge out the CST somewhat, in my opinion, in terms of tonal richness, but the CST have them beat on overall clarity and treble extension whilst not crossing the line into harshness territory. Burning them in helped loosen up the driver and improve the soundstage.

I would probably recommend these over the various 1DD-1BA hybrids from KZ, CCA and others because the CSTs cost less than all of them, are more comfortable to wear, and are noticeably less shrill than my baseline ZSN Pros. They also come with none of the counterfeit worries that prospective MH750/755 buyers will have to deal with.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #52,218 of 106,674
Agreed. Listening to my CSTs out of the ZX300 at the moment with Hybrid tips and these little woodies are acquitting themselves well on King Crimson at the moment. All it needs out of the box is a tip swap to bring the bass a tad more forward so that it is in line with where the mids and treble are. The MH750/755 still edge out the CST somewhat, in my opinion, in terms of tonal richness, but the CST have them beat on overall clarity and treble extension whilst not crossing the line into harshness territory. Burning them in helped loosen up the driver and improve the soundstage.

I would probably recommend these over the various 1DD-1BA hybrids from KZ, CCA and others because the CSTs cost less than all of them, are more comfortable to wear, and are noticeably less shrill than my baseline ZSN Pros. They also come with none of the counterfeit worries that prospective MH750/755 buyers will have to deal with.

I agree with you. I wouldn't place them ahead of the MH755 with the upgrade extension, since the bass is a little more prominent and digs deeper, with equal stage, but they are close. Very close, and yes, no counterfeit product.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #52,219 of 106,674
I agree with you. I wouldn't place them ahead of the MH755 with the upgrade extension, since the bass is a little more prominent and digs deeper, with equal stage, but they are close. Very close, and yes, no counterfeit product.

Besides, the fact that we are talking about detail and soundstage in relation to 'buds that cost about as much as a burger, fries and shake combined is pretty incredible :p

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #52,220 of 106,674
My CCA CST woodies arrived from my 11.11 sale purchases. Since with coupons etc, i essentially got these for free, I wasn't sweating the quality, but i'm pleasantly surprised. They are a bit on the bright side, but the bass scales just fine, and they have an aggressive sound that really makes listening to heavy metal a sweet experience. Not the widest stage, and the treble can be slightly splashy at times, but for the cost of "$12.00", they rank right up there with my VE Bonus and Sennheiser CX300 II's in sound quality for a single dynamic, and i'll get some use out of these woodies until my JVC FW08's arrive in a few days.

I also ordered some TRN balanced copper cable, and they sent me the wrong cable. It was supposed to be 4.4mm 2 pin, and i got 2.5mm MMCX cable. So I got a correct replacement cable ordered, but they sent some TRN M10's inside the nice green hard plastic carrying case. They are 1 DD + 1 BA hybrids, and they don't sound bad at all. Pretty decent for a 1 + 1 cheapy thrown in for free, and so tiny, they disappear in my ears, as the DD is a microdriver.
Yes, I like the M10 as well. Not too V shaped and decent resolution.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #52,221 of 106,674
I remember they had (2) versions of the A15 - the non Pro and the Pro. I thought for some reason that one of the versions fixed the issues with the other one. I might be wrong though; the A15 was a number of years ago now and my memory just isn’t that good lol
I had the A15 Pro. Beryllium coated DD. Terrible fit, bass light. Donated to charity.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #52,222 of 106,674
If it helps at all, this is what the purple looks like in good lighting conditions.

In any case, I like both colours, and it is the sound quality which matters. I am enjoying my music through these IEMs and for the first time I am considering getting both colours. Usually I cannot see the point of getting two of the same IEMs, and I still cannot see the point in getting two of the same, if I rationalise it, but I think this is emotional rather than rational....the more I listen to them, the more I like them. I hope the quality control is as good as the looks and the sound quality.
How would you describe the sound of these? I have had them in my Ali basket. TIA.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #52,223 of 106,674
Do the A7 nozzle filters have the same problem as the LZ A4 - where they contain paper material (like a coffee filter), that absorbs moisture, which blocks the sound and causes the earphones to become quiet?

After listening to my new LZ A7 earphones for most of the last 5 days (trying different nozzles), I can confirm that with long term listening (over night), the Treble attenuating (Gold) nozzles DO HAVE the same moisture absorbing / sound-going-quiet issue, as the LZ A4 earphone nozzles that contain filter material.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #52,224 of 106,674
Yes, I like the M10 as well. Not too V shaped and decent resolution.

Yeah. I'm enjoying these minute earphones. They are V shaped, with hard hitting bass and very resolving treble. Surprised at the resolution. Again, for a freebie set, they are enjoyable and i'm not going to quibble.

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #52,226 of 106,674
What is resolving treble?

high resolution treble that's well extended but not sibilant. Just a very resolving treble. Not dark or rolled off at all,but the mids are recessed due to the V shape. The CCA CST has clearer highs and better timbre, but can also be sibilant, where the M10 are not.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #52,227 of 106,674
high resolution treble that's well extended but not sibilant. Just a very resolving treble. Not dark or rolled off at all,but the mids are recessed due to the V shape. The CCA CST has clearer highs and better timbre, but can also be sibilant, where the M10 are not.
Thanks for the description.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #52,228 of 106,674
After listening to my new LZ A7 earphones for most of the last 5 days (trying different nozzles), I can confirm that with long term listening (over night), the Treble attenuating (Gold) nozzles DO HAVE the same moisture absorbing / sound-going-quiet issue, as the LZ A4 earphone nozzles that contain filter material.
Ugh, that's a bummer

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #52,230 of 106,674
Considering I use hybrid cables like Labkable Draco and Ego Audio Cocktail with Oxygen/KXXS to make them sound more lively and dynamic, I would say I could prefer Jasper, that sound that way out of the box. It could be also the fascination with the novelty (last 2,3 weeks I listening mainly to Jaspers and few others like IT07, NX Ears Opera, Phonic BWD8, Anew X-One and cheaper Coastaudio Nebulae, leaving aside DUNU Luna, EE LX and few my other favourites). Overall, I can't say it's a big, very noticable upgrade over Oxygen (I would say both are a bit better than KXXS, but for some users changing KXXS for them could be also unjustifiable).

So I go for more like sidegrade for better lows, touch more forward and better defined male vocals (less smoothed/muffled out) and more lively cymbals. Oxygen and KXXS have a wider stage, but Jasper provides a bit "bigger sound" with better channel separation. Level of detail seems to be similar - Oxygen maybe a bit better for upper mids, Jasper with better lows and lower treble definition. Oxygen (as well as KXXS) are more Harman-neutral like. I would describe Jasper as kind of natural-neutral tuning (a touch more "fun and musicality" comparing to more "sterile" Oxygen/KXXS).

I'm big fan of single DD so I would recommend to try both :D

Is there a difference in tuning between the black and the silver one Jasper? I personally prefer a sound signature with more lows/mids and less treble, to make it easier for long term listening. The Jasper looks very interesting to me right now since I like its form factor and the fact that it is a single dynamic driver (which I prefer for timbre and coherency). From the reviews I've seen, it does seem to have a natural tonality with slightly more bass than neutral. Looking at the frequency response curve, the Jasper might have a bit more treble than I prefer, but I could always EQ that down if it bothers me.

How do you find the mids and vocals on the Jasper - are they ahead of the treble? Also, how is the bass? Does it have good rumble and natural tonality/texture? Also, how is the isolation and comfort? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back