The discovery thread!
Jul 10, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #32,254 of 102,991
I've been lurking while enjoying these KZ ATEs. For fun I got out my TTPOD T1Es to do a little A/B action.

For a long time, the TTPODs had been my #1 budget-fi IEM. I listened to them almost exclusively until I started working from home and having that level of isolation wasn't needed anymore. (I went back to listening to my AT WS99s)

After listening to the KZ ATEs for the last week, putting in the TTPODs kind of a shock to the system. I thought to myself "how did I listen to these for so long". The best adjective I could come up with to describe the TTPODs was "shouty". Everything in the treble and midbass seemed overly aggressive and had a hard edge to it. But when the beat dropped, I was reminded why I put up with that shouty sound for so long, the TTPODs have such good sub-bass.

Put the KZs back in and it was like putting on your favorite sweatpants or having a nice cup of cocoa, Comfy, Rich, Warm. The first thing that stands out when switching back was how little mid-range the TTPODs have. Second thing I notice was how much wide and enveloping the soundstage is on the KZs. Finally, while there's a small sacrifice in sub-bass, the entire rest of the range is fuller and more musical. This leads to one of the most non-fatiguing IEMs I've ever used. The KZ is something I can listen to for hours and never find myself reaching to turn it up or down, or change eq.

Bottom line, KZ makes the TTPOD T1E look like amateur hour. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #32,255 of 102,991
  I've been lurking while enjoying these KZ ATEs. For fun I got out my TTPOD T1Es to do a little A/B action.

For a long time, the TTPODs had been my #1 budget-fi IEM. I listened to them almost exclusively until I started working from home and having that level of isolation wasn't needed anymore. (I went back to listening to my AT WS99s)

After listening to the KZ ATEs for the last week, putting in the TTPODs kind of a shock to the system. I thought to myself "how did I listen to these for so long". The best adjective I could come up with to describe the TTPODs was "shouty". Everything in the treble and midbass seemed overly aggressive and had a hard edge to it. But when the beat dropped, I was reminded why I put up with that shouty sound for so long, the TTPODs have such good sub-bass.

Put the KZs back in and it was like putting on your favorite sweatpants or having a nice cup of cocoa, Comfy, Rich, Warm. The first thing that stands out when switching back was how little mid-range the TTPODs have. Second thing I notice was how much wide and enveloping the soundstage is on the KZs. Finally, while there's a small sacrifice in sub-bass, the entire rest of the range is fuller and more musical. This leads to one of the most non-fatiguing IEMs I've ever used. The KZ is something I can listen to for hours and never find myself reaching to turn it up or down, or change eq.

Bottom line, KZ makes the TTPOD T1E look like amateur hour. 

nice comparison, bjaardker.  i only had some TTPODS for a week before they broke and i returned them, but i agree with your review totally. the KZ ATEs really are something!  made the 10 best iems for bassheads list also, posted by Vapman, in some heavy competition.....a true bargain new era IEM....not just for bassheads
but satisfying for those who love bass also..

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #32,256 of 102,991
Sigh! Well, I have ordered the D27 (6 Knowles BAs and 1 Dynamic Driver). Yes, seven drivers for under $400. It will take about a week to get to me. I'll let you guys know how it goes. But I have to say my impressions will be brief (if I say much at all in public threads). I can't  reconcile being told what products I own (and paid for with my money) I can and can't talk about  due to controversies I personally have nothing to do with. But I'm sure some friends here will want to know some of my thoughts. Happy listening.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #32,257 of 102,991
  Sigh! Well, I have ordered the D27 (6 Knowles BAs and 1 Dynamic Driver). Yes, seven drivers for under $400. It will take about a week to get to me. I'll let you guys know how it goes. But I have to say my impressions will be brief (if I say much at all in public threads). I can't  reconcile being told what products I own (and paid for with my money) I can and can't talk about  due to controversies I personally have nothing to do with. But I'm sure some friends here will want to know some of my thoughts. Happy listening.

Hate to see you going.   I always enjoy reading your adventures and thoughts here. 
confused_face.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #32,258 of 102,991
Are you not allowed to mention which D27?

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #32,259 of 102,991

Hate to see you going.   I always enjoy reading your adventures and thoughts here. 
confused_face.gif

Thanks sir. I'll peek in every now and then.

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #32,260 of 102,991
Jul 10, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #32,261 of 102,991

Yes, that's really annoying. I know you really like the 2D MSQD's ("those that shall only be named backwards" lol). How about everyone else? C'mon people, post your impressions (even if you have to do it in pig latin!).

Anyway Eric, I'm looking forward to getting your D27 impressions one way or another!

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #32,262 of 102,991

Yes, that's really annoying. I know you really like the 2D MSQD's ("those that shall only be named backwards" lol). How about everyone else? C'mon people, post your impressions (even if you have to do it in pig latin!).

Anyway Eric, I'm looking forward to getting your D27 impressions one way or another!

Somehow I will fill you in bro, waynes world. You know I will. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #32,263 of 102,991

I'm really enjoying mine. Using comply tx 200, wondering if I should have tried the tx 400 but could not get information on size anywhere. Listening to Pink Floyd Dark side immersion version live" us and them" and hearing the separation of the back up singers was eye opening. Using with Shanling M5

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #32,264 of 102,991
Somehow I will fill you in bro, waynes world. You know I will. 
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I'm really enjoying mine. Using comply tx 200, wondering if I should have tried the tx 400 but could not get information on size anywhere. Listening to Pink Floyd Dark side immersion version live" us and them" and hearing the separation of the back up singers was eye opening. Using with Shanling M5

Awesome!

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #32,265 of 102,991
How about this for a change?

Nativ: High-Res Music System & Touchscreen Control

"A state-of-the-art high-resolution music system that is based on two independent solutions:"

"The centerpiece of Nativ Wave is a fully balanced differential DAC design with two 24-bit/192kHz Burr-Brown DSD1792A. Left and right channel are entirely separated, each with its own dedicated linear power supply, state-of-the-art Crystal oscillators and analog circuitry. "

Far to expensive for me to even look at, but I think they have a beautiful device in their hands. I've always found the current AV-receivers to be a little "last century". This device could be a modern alternative, It just needs to be combined in one device instead of two separate devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back