The discovery thread!
May 24, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #102,991 of 106,660
I appreciate your contributions, your recc's, and your impressions, especially with the budget realm.
Thank you,
love reading your passion on this hobby as well.

---

well, apparently Waifu box have evolved. We have IEM waifu lore now,
CVJ Night Elf (3DD)

1716539048106.jpeg

1716539068448.jpeg

The setup is more interesting than i thought, three different DD (1x 6mmDD, 1x 10mmDD, 1x 8mmDD)
that spiky treble section tough
and yes, there is actual waifu print on the IEM , the graph have that tiny section in the corner and 1 full page of waifu lore in the marketing materials.
---

Its been a hot minute without new waifu iem from TruthEar... that i follow.. when/what was the last one?
Anyhow TruthEar Gate.
no additional info, but it seems to be 1DD. maybe Hola replacement?

1716539344087.jpeg

---
If Gate is a Hola replacement,
well, it going to fight with new TangZu Wan'Er Studio Edition... which hopefully not just a reshelled Wan'er

1716543263491.png

1716543475049.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #102,994 of 106,660
FYI > DUNU DaVinci FQ response curve and some selected comparisons (normalized 60dB@500Hz)
[Source: Super* Review @ squig.link]

EDIT: sorry something f'd up my attached graphics... hope it works with the second try

graph (19).png
graph (13).pnggraph (14).pnggraph (15).pnggraph (16).png

Huh, fascinating how close the Davinci measure to the Hype 4 and Monarch MK3.

May 24, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #102,995 of 106,660
I’m not crazy about how the bass is done but that’s a fantastic measurement post 1k, including the pinna gain being under 10dB.
A FQ response curve doesn't tell you about speed/attack and clarity of bass, so, depending on the dynamic drivers and their implementation, as well as how they manage the FQ crossover (bleeding), this could be still very much enjoyable.
I fully agree with the Harman matched target curve from 1-3 kHz, and as you can see, quite a lot of the newer IEM's in my comparison do the same. Our ears are, by nature, relatively sensitive in this FQ range, whereas ~2-3kHz is indeed the most sensitive region of the human inner ear (e.g. to hear our babies cry, no joke), and on top of this, our ear anatomy is evolutionary "tuned" in a way to even emphasize on this very FQ range (around 3kHz) whereas the Pinna, the Concha, and the shape of our outer ear canals can boost these frequencies manyfold, and that's no surprise that the Harman target tries to level things out there in this region in order for headphones not to sound too "annoying" around 3kHz., so everyome who understands human hearing physiology tries to match (or even slightly lower) the target at least there.

The harsh drop with the 6kHz seems to me a matter of getting both, the voice of male and female sibilance better under control to again, not sound too annoying, whereas the returning rise at 8kHz to the target curve was probably chosen to still have a decent airy region where many music instruments can shine... everything above ~10kHz is of slightly lesser importance in average (e.g. the ~3dB rise above Harman @ ~13kHz).

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #102,996 of 106,660
A FQ response curve doesn't tell you about speed/attack and clarity of bass, so, depending on the dynamic drivers and their implementation, as well as how they manage the FQ crossover (bleeding), this could be still very much enjoyable.
I fully agree with the Harman matched target curve from 1-3 kHz, and as you can see, quite a lot of the newer IEM's in my comparison do the same. Our ears are, by nature, relatively sensitive in this FQ range, whereas ~2-3kHz is indeed the most sensitive region of the human inner ear (e.g. to hear our babies cry, no joke), and on top of this, our ear anatomy is evolutionary "tuned" in a way to even emphasize on this very FQ range (around 3kHz) whereas the Pinna, the Concha, and the shape of our outer ear canals can boost these frequencies manyfold, and that's no surprise that the Harman target tries to level things out there in this region in order for headphones not to sound too "annoying" around 3kHz., so everyome who understands human hearing physiology tries to match (or even slightly lower) the target at least there.

The harsh drop with the 6kHz seems to me a matter of getting both, the voice of male and female sibilance better under control to again, not sound too annoying, whereas the returning rise at 8kHz to the target curve was probably chosen to still have a decent airy region where many music instruments can shine... everything above ~10kHz is of slightly lesser importance in average (e.g. the ~3dB rise above Harman @ ~13kHz).
I can attest that there is no sibilance in the DaVinci and I'm very sensitive to it.

May 24, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #103,001 of 106,660
Comparison between Aful explorer and da Vinci. Anyone?
I was interested in it, too and I found the AFUL Explorer graph on Jaytiss Squig.link (and the DaVinci one still only on Super* Review)... so I tried to find a common target curve which I could actually compare the two graphs with each other. Result: Precogvision's target curve, again normalized at 60db and 500Hz.

EDIT1: wish I could've compared with the Harman target curve, but Super* Review only offers an "adjusted Harman" curve in his Squig.link, and Jaytiss the raw Harman, so I had to use a target which matched both, but at least it gives you a rough comparison... the only one we have at this point.
EDIT2: ...but take them with a big grain of salt, since these measurements were taken likely with different couplers and setups, so they're not really accurate.

Here you go:

graph (22mod).png

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #103,002 of 106,660
I was interested in it, too and I found the AFUL Explorer graph on Jaytiss Squig.link (and the DaVinci one still only on Super* Review)... so I tried to find a common target curve which I could actually compare the two graphs with each other. Result: Precogvision's target curve, again normalized at 60db and 500Hz.

Here you go:

graph (22mod).png

Oh ho.. You have to make sense of it for me. Am graph-illiterate

May 24, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #103,004 of 106,660
Westone isn't a brand we see much of here on Head Fi. I have just received these two models for review. These are the AM Pro X30 (3BA) and MACH 60 (6 BA).

1000013679.jpg

I already have the AMPro X10 and the MACH 70, both of which impressed me. You can find my reviews of them here:

https://audiosolace.wpcomstaging.com/westone-mach-70-review/

https://audiosolace.wpcomstaging.com/westone-am-pro-x10/

Meanwhile can anyone produce a showcase page for the Westone AM Pro X30? TIA.

Details of product:
https://www.westoneaudio.eu/products/am-pro-x30

May 24, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #103,005 of 106,660
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back