The discovery thread!
May 24, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #103,021 of 106,680
A review of Simgot Supermix 4 with comparisons to Kiwiears Quintet. It includes recordings to compare and I find it quite interesting. To me, the Quintet sounds quite open and impactful compared to the Supermix 4 which has a somewhat nasal tone and, to me, too much upper frequency loss. To each their own.

May 24, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #103,022 of 106,680
First of all, thank you for checking out DaVinci! I appreciate everyone here who's taking an interest in my project :)

I just want to add something important regarding graph comparisons.

I want to say that comparing across rigs is not a good idea because of coupler variations/ differences. The same exact unit can be measured differently on two separate couplers. You can find an example of this with Subtonic Storm, Softears Turii, and Elysian Pilgrim on my squig (https://timmyv.squig.link/) vs. HBB's squig (https://hbb.squig.link/). We measured the same exact units (We loan units to each other), but the graphs were different due to coupler variations. The differences can range from minor to massive.

Because of this, It's best to compare IEMs from the same database only for the most accurate comparison. Comparing across different databases will be largely inaccurate.
This doesn't even take into account IEM unit variations, which would increase the rate of inaccuracy when comparing across databases.

Anyway, thank you again for checking out DaVinci! I hope everyone gets to demo it soon :D
Timmy, I have to give you and Dunu huge props. Last night I needed to do some more testing for a review of the ZMF Caldera but I couldn't stop listening to the DaVinci. Sure it's not going to compare to a TOTL open back headphone but I found that I actually prefered the DaVinci. Iems are just best for me and you and Dunu have created a stellar set here! Be proud and keep on doing your thing!

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #103,023 of 106,680
The Explorer looks like a I wish I was a DaVinci attempt , I am a little worried the E3 is going to sound a bit flat no pun intentionally done.

different measurement sample,
the main difference seems to be in 2K to 5K gain. Da Vinci have more upper mids, vocal focus?

1716564223438.png

May 24, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #103,024 of 106,680
First of all, thank you for checking out DaVinci! I appreciate everyone here who's taking an interest in my project :)

I just want to add something important regarding graph comparisons.

I want to say that comparing across rigs is not a good idea because of coupler variations/ differences. The same exact unit can be measured differently on two separate couplers. You can find an example of this with Subtonic Storm, Softears Turii, and Elysian Pilgrim on my squig (https://timmyv.squig.link/) vs. HBB's squig (https://hbb.squig.link/). We measured the same exact units (We loan units to each other), but the graphs were different due to coupler variations. The differences can range from minor to massive.

Because of this, It's best to compare IEMs from the same database only for the most accurate comparison. Comparing across different databases will be largely inaccurate.
This doesn't even take into account IEM unit variations, which would increase the rate of inaccuracy when comparing across databases.

Anyway, thank you again for checking out DaVinci! I hope everyone gets to demo it soon :D
Hello Timmy!

I'm honored that Mr. DaVinci himself shows up in our "discovery round table".. A big high five man!
(Mine was shipped tody by HiFiGo, so I ordered one anyway before we had any FQ response graph because I knew that DUNU and Timmy can only be a good collab, honestly, without buttering it up!)

Yes, of course you're absolutely right, you can't really compare measurements taken with different equipment. I shouldn't have done that actually. But it's anyway a tiny bit soft science due to intra-setup differences even with the same equipment, also that sometimes can vary and give slight differences in curves. We in our lab are bound by law to only use officially licensed calibrated equipment, repeatedly and controlled within certain timeframes, so I know a little bit about the problems of high repeatability and reliability of measurements. Nevertheless you should still have a very rough "guesstimate"... but this never can be a substitute of hearing an IEM with our own ears.

Thanks again for clearing that up Timmy and congrats to your DaVinci! ..hope it will be the IEM of 2024 (so far it goes into the right direction I'd say... fingers crossed for you)

May 24, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #103,026 of 106,680
Admitting mistakes and fixing them is quite plausibly one of Life's Toughest Tasks.

After two weeks of my Project #2 being live I had faced just that. I was not particularly happy with how it turned out as a whole. Thus, I have started reconsidering it and forming a picture in my mind about how I'd want it to look & most importantly, sound. So here it comes.

Project #2, Take 2.0 is now Live and I would appreciate any likes or comments, whether positive or (constructively) negative. Also, subscribe should you wish to see where path leads me next.

May 24, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #103,027 of 106,680
1000047221.png
I hope the picture is clear enough. But is that a new type of planar?

thats possibly a microplanar
there is a small planar driver in it.

Not sure whether i can find the internal shot, one of the recent iems marketing material have it
--
edit: found it, its the one in Simgot Supermix promo material

MicroPlanar internal illustration,

1716558387482.png

BA driver for comparison
1716558427126.png

Its called Planarmature everyone.

Joke aside, I got my May bullet spent wisely..
Late to the party but I'm very impressed
20240524_153209.jpg

Actually my May bullet was shot to DC06pro but the more I read on ibasso dongle thread, I was poisoned more and more towards this DC elite
So yeah cheating this month I bought 2 items, and now the DC06 pro that came yesterday went stright into drawer damn..

May 24, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #103,028 of 106,680
Admitting mistakes and fixing them is quite plausibly one of Life's Toughest Tasks.

After two weeks of my Project #2 being live I had faced just that. I was not particularly happy with how it turned out as a whole. Thus, I have started reconsidering it and forming a picture in my mind about how I'd want it to look & most importantly, sound. So here it comes.

Project #2, Take 2.0 is now Live and I would appreciate any likes or comments, whether positive or (constructively) negative. Also, subscribe should you wish to see where path leads me next.

Greetings to you and my neighboring country! Keep on doing your thing, I like it :beerchug: :thumbsup:

and as Dale Carnegie once said: “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.”

May 24, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #103,029 of 106,680
Thank you,
love reading your passion on this hobby as well.

---

well, apparently Waifu box have evolved. We have IEM waifu lore now,
CVJ Night Elf (3DD)

1716539048106.jpeg

1716539068448.jpeg

The setup is more interesting than i thought, three different DD (1x 6mmDD, 1x 10mmDD, 1x 8mmDD)
that spiky treble section tough
and yes, there is actual waifu print on the IEM , the graph have that tiny section in the corner and 1 full page of waifu lore in the marketing materials.
---

Its been a hot minute without new waifu iem from TruthEar... that i follow.. when/what was the last one?
Anyhow TruthEar Gate.
no additional info, but it seems to be 1DD. maybe Hola replacement?

1716539344087.jpeg
---
If Gate is a Hola replacement,
well, it going to fight with new TangZu Wan'Er Studio Edition... which hopefully not just a reshelled Wan'er

1716543263491.png

That's why I can't take CVJ seriously. Aside from CVJ Mei, I believe like 3 out of 4 CVJ products I had were not good. Imagine wearing that thing in public. Heck might as well cut and stick a picture from sexy tobacco cards, that surely will grab you tons of positive attentions lol.

May 24, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #103,030 of 106,680
Its called Planarmature everyone.

Joke aside, I got my May bullet spent wisely..
Late to the party but I'm very impressed
20240524_153209.jpg

Actually my May bullet was shot to DC06pro but the more I read on ibasso dongle thread, I was poisoned more and more towards this DC elite
So yeah cheating this month I bought 2 items, and now the DC06 pro that came yesterday went stright into drawer damn..
Welcome to the SHOW!

May 24, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #103,032 of 106,680
May 24, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #103,033 of 106,680
That's why I can't take CVJ seriously. Aside from CVJ Mei, I believe like 3 out of 4 CVJ products I had were not good. Imagine wearing that thing in public. Heck might as well cut and stick a picture from sexy tobacco cards, that surely will grab you tons of positive attentions lol.
CVJ is doing the throw anything see what sticks strategy
but unlike trying to do it in one particular direction like KZ/CCA do, CVJ is throwing it at all direction.
from super cheap, to premium drivers, to "gaming" iems, to uber waifu iems.

i was wondering what happen to CVJs KZ-AS24 competitor CVJ Kumo (24 BA drivers with soundtube and Knowles dampers)

1716567944985.png

...1 sold from the official aliexpress store... 1?

May 24, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #103,034 of 106,680
CVJ is doing the throw anything see what sticks strategy
but unlike trying to do it in one particular direction like KZ/CCA do, CVJ is throwing it at all direction.
from super cheap, to premium drivers, to "gaming" iems, to uber waifu iems.

i was wondering what happen to CVJs KZ-AS24 competitor CVJ Kumo (24 BA drivers with soundtube and Knowles dampers)

1716567944985.png

...1 sold from the official aliexpress store... 1?
damn on AE? Just lie about it dawg 😂

May 24, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #103,035 of 106,680
Discovery! Letshuoer dt03 DAC/amp coming soon. Wonder what will set this one apart from all the other ones coming out 🤔
1000022650.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back