The discovery thread!
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #99,286 of 100,308
What’s a good 4.4mm dongle that’s lightning compatible, low noise, stays relatively cool, and doesn’t drain phone battery?
You could always go big and get the iFi GO bar Kensei 😉. It's $450 but sooooo good.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #99,288 of 100,308
Haha the Swiss Army DAC, that’s quite a piece of kit!
Time to shamelessly plug my review! *cough* here *cough* But seriously its fantastic and offers a decent amount of variety with the different filters and XBass/XSpace. I have one on loan from iFi and I'm definitely going to save up to get my own in the future.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #99,289 of 100,308
Since we talk about expensive DAC, Imma pimping Luxury & Precision W4 :beyersmile: I bought the unit from a friend at a very friendly price (aka I was robbing him blind).

Think of it this way: plugging this USB stick to my old iPhone gives me a (clunky) DAP that can challenge the likes to M6 Ultra and R6 Pro 2. Again, if you don't hear any difference between DAC at all, don't splurge. If you have caught the "audiophile curse" of having a higher and higher demand and attention to details, then keep an eye open for W4 on the used market or when MusicTeck gives a "like new" discount. Tbh, I don't bother with taking my DX300 out ever since getting the W4. Yes, the DX300 is better and I will use it when I want, but I don't feel like I lose that much sound quality with the W4, and the software on iPhone actually works better with the media server I set up at home (blame iBasso OS, not Android).

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #99,290 of 100,308
Since we talk about expensive DAC, Imma pimping Luxury & Precision W4 :beyersmile: I bought the unit from a friend at a very friendly price (aka I was robbing him blind).

Think of it this way: plugging this USB stick to my old iPhone gives me a (clunky) DAP that can challenge the likes to M6 Ultra and R6 Pro 2. Again, if you don't hear any difference between DAC at all, don't splurge. If you have caught the "audiophile curse" of having a higher and higher demand and attention to details, then keep an eye open for W4 on the used market or when MusicTeck gives a "like new" discount. Tbh, I don't bother with taking my DX300 out ever since getting the W4. Yes, the DX300 is better and I will use it when I want, but I don't feel like I lose that much sound quality with the W4, and the software on iPhone actually works better with the media server I set up at home (blame iBasso OS, not Android).
I've always loved the look of the W4

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #99,291 of 100,308
Ey, all hail the mid-fi addict king 😂 good to see you here

Is that the HBB collab Tangzu or the expensive one?

HBB collab :)

I agree, got mine on Sunday, an awesome dongle!

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #99,292 of 100,308
In regards to the Trio a lot of us have settled on UDUD for the switches as the sweet spot. I'd give it a few listens with that switch config too to see if you like it
I have come to this setup as the best one as well. For my ears and brain, of course. The TRIO already has a hearty basic tuning from the manufacturer, and with the switches it can be fine-tuned for my ears without the user messing anything up dramatically. Whether this is a coincidence or a well thought out concept is hard to tell in the case of the KZ. The important thing is that these IEMs have succeeded 🖖

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #99,293 of 100,308
Just a cool comment on my fat freq gm video. Pretty great company!

Attachments

• IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #99,294 of 100,308
IMG_8811.jpeg
Some new goodies
Let me know about those Senns? I'm in the market for some TW since my Fiio FW3 are no longer functioning. Left bud no longer pairs, so less than a year. Second Fiio IEM to die before a year. Not buying anymore Fiio IEMs, wireless or wired. Ironically, the Fiio DAP I bought 5 years ago is still going strong. Go figure.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #99,295 of 100,308
Simgot EA500LM has landed, and I've spent the better part of my day listening, rolling, and comparing to the EW200, Trio, and EA1000.

So I ended up with a Crystalline Copper cable, and switched the stock cable over to the EW200. Brass Coreir tips. Silver/red ring filter.

Initial impressions : Treble is CRISP. It shimmers! It sparkles like a teenage vampire! Mids are a tad thinner note wise, and not a lot of warmth. Bass is quick, can be punchy, but with more resolution and heft than the EW200 and despite the EA1000 having that passive radiator thing, has more presence than the EA1000. Now the EA1000 has more natural timbre and is a touch more resolving up top, with more control and maturity, but the EA500LM has better staging and imaging, though the EW200 has even wider and deeper stage! WHAT?! Yep. The Trio has better transparency, stage depth and width, imaging, ad detail retrieval, but it's close, and treble timbre is similar, but the treble is more shimmery and extended than the Trio, and the bass is a league more resolving and detailed than the Trio.

Though they play pretty solidly out of the Sony A17, A55, and the WM1A, I found they actually sonically sounded more bad a$$ through the DX170, Sony A306 and the Sansa Fuze. I'm gonna keep listening and burn these in some, but so far, they are almost as good to my ears as the EA1000, which is over double the price. The bass rocks on these things! Metalheads pay attention! These were made for metal!

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #99,296 of 100,308
Simgot EA500LM has landed, and I've spent the better part of my day listening, rolling, and comparing to the EW200, Trio, and EA1000.

So I ended up with a Crystalline Copper cable, and switched the stock cable over to the EW200. Brass Coreir tips. Silver/red ring filter.

Initial impressions : Treble is CRISP. It shimmers! It sparkles like a teenage vampire! Mids are a tad thinner note wise, and not a lot of warmth. Bass is quick, can be punchy, but with more resolution and heft than the EW200 and despite the EA1000 having that passive radiator thing, has more presence than the EA1000. Now the EA1000 has more natural timbre and is a touch more resolving up top, with more control and maturity, but the EA500LM has better staging and imaging, though the EW200 has even wider and deeper stage! WHAT?! Yep. The Trio has better transparency, stage depth and width, imaging, ad detail retrieval, but it's close, and treble timbre is similar, but the treble is more shimmery and extended than the Trio, and the bass is a league more resolving and detailed than the Trio.

Though they play pretty solidly out of the Sony A17, A55, and the WM1A, I found they actually sonically sounded more bad a$$ through the DX170, Sony A306 and the Sansa Fuze. I'm gonna keep listening and burn these in some, but so far, they are almost as good to my ears as the EA1000, which is over double the price. The bass rocks on these things! Metalheads pay attention! These were made for metal!

The silver pair of nozzles are quite spicy in the treble/upper mids.

The gold/red nozzles are the least hot of the 3, but still keeps Simgot's house sound of a boosted upper midrange in general. So perhaps this is the best option if you are sensitive to upper mids glare.

Simgot_EA500LM_Final.jpg

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #99,297 of 100,308
Yeah, I wonder where they cut corner to make this DAP happen. Android, balanced, with some engineering efforts put in (4 DACs in two separate sound profiles, class A amp) for $250. It sounds too good to be true. I’m very eager to try this DAP.

How do these two separate sound signatures work? Like switches? And what's the difference between these 2 soundscapes?

You received your unit?

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #99,299 of 100,308
Let me know about those Senns?
Early impressions they seem great, not as energetic as the TWX9, but overall I think they’re tonally better. I have a lot of TWS, these are definitely somewhere towards the top, if not at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back