The discovery thread!
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #99,256 of 100,215
I got the EA500LM coming in today. We'll see if my gamble pays off? If the technicalities are superior to the EW200 and the stage and imaging is better and wider than the EA1000, then I'm looking forward to a smile on my face like the Trio brought me?
You'll enjoy it. I got the Trio yesterday after returning my EA500 LM about five weeks ago because it was too bright and edgy for me.

During my preliminary listening of the Trio last night, I thought, "This sounds like a EA500 LM with a bit less refinement and edge."

The EA500 LM wasn't for me. But I hope you dig it! Jury is still out on the Trio for me. Just got it last night and need to start messing with the switches.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #99,257 of 100,215

New graph:​

BA980D75-33D4-4FB8-92B6-4B341C7F94D8.png

PENON VOLTAGE​

4EST+4BA+2DD hybrid Flagship Audiophile In-ear Monitor with 2 Tuning Switches

4 x Sonion Electrostatic for ultra- high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for middle frequency
2 x 8mm dynamic driver for low frequency
4-way crossover, 4 tubes
Impedance: 13 ohm
Sensitivity: 106dB
Frequency response range: 5Hz~70kHz
Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm
Cable: 4 shares, 100 cores per share, OCC+18K gold-plated OCC hybrid
Plug: Gold-plated copper + carbon fiber plug

Tuning mode:
12: High Frequency & Low Frequency Enhancement
10: Low Frequency Enhancement
02: High Frequency Enhancement
00: Original mode

FC83A9A0-D157-45EF-94D2-C63B4E2822FB.jpeg
Great! Beautiful! Now how about price?

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #99,258 of 100,215
I got the EA500LM coming in today. We'll see if my gamble pays off? If the technicalities are superior to the EW200 and the stage and imaging is better and wider than the EA1000, then I'm looking forward to a smile on my face like the Trio brought me?
D'accord !!....Maybe CCA will be a Trio set that can finally put a smile on my face also (- whilst not hurting my wallet!)....will arrive in a fortnight...cheers !!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #99,259 of 100,215
Starting to do some head-to-head comparisons today with a variety of music with my two new toys, the Kefine Delci and the CCA Trio.

Full disclosure: I'm a listener who places tuning and timbre above technicality. I'll take musical cohesiveness over the last ounce of detail every damn day. I like warm-neutral tuning.

Knowing that, it didn't take more than an hour of comparative listening for the Delci to emerge as the colt pulling away in this two-horse field.

As I noted earlier in this thread, the Delci has a delicious musicality. Sub-bass is a bit more than I prefer, but it does get intoxicating after a while. The bass doesn't eclipse the mids, and the treble is ample but not excessive. These are REALLY impressive for a $60 set, especially with the ample included accessories.

The Delci are good with every genre for me, but they truly shine with more bass-emphasized genres. Hip-hop, EDM, soul, disco, funk.

I'm in a band, and I know how instruments sound in a live or rehearsal studio setting. Overall, the tuning and timbre of the Delci sound correct. Excellent note weight, which is important to me.

The Delci sounds "right." And as I said earlier, the sound flowing into my ears and brain in the Delci never has caused me to wince or grimace once. No fatigue. Yet not muddy or too warm.

Super impressed.

Now for the Trio. If you like colder, more edgy sets like the EA500 LM or other Simgot offerings, you will like the tuning of the CCA Trio. I think the treble is too sharp and too hot at the UUUU switch setting. I changed it to UUDD, and that helped.

The Trio lacks refinement and note weight compared to the Delci. Its timbre sounds a bit thin and metallic to my ears, regardless of switch position.

In an earlier world, the Trio would be an easy recommendation. It sounds good. You'll really like it if you like that detailed, crisp Simgot sound, and the switches work. The included tips also work -- I didn't need to roll to third-party tips.

But I doubt I'm hopping on the Trio Train. Their timbre just doesn't work for me, especially when the lush, rich, fun Delci are sitting right next to me, calling me like a lusty girl in dimly lit bar with full lips coated in cherry-red lipstick.

Maybe more impressions to come!

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #99,261 of 100,215
Aside from channel imbalance (just referencing the graph) Penon kinda nailed the response.
Those are the switch differences

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #99,263 of 100,215
Starting to do some head-to-head comparisons today with a variety of music with my two new toys, the Kefine Delci and the CCA Trio.

Full disclosure: I'm a listener who places tuning and timbre above technicality. I'll take musical cohesiveness over the last ounce of detail every damn day. I like warm-neutral tuning.

Knowing that, it didn't take more than an hour of comparative listening for the Delci to emerge as the colt pulling away in this two-horse field.

As I noted earlier in this thread, the Delci has a delicious musicality. Sub-bass is a bit more than I prefer, but it does get intoxicating after a while. The bass doesn't eclipse the mids, and the treble is ample but not excessive. These are REALLY impressive for a $60 set, especially with the ample included accessories.

The Delci are good with every genre for me, but they truly shine with more bass-emphasized genres. Hip-hop, EDM, soul, disco, funk.

I'm in a band, and I know how instruments sound in a live or rehearsal studio setting. Overall, the tuning and timbre of the Delci sound correct. Excellent note weight, which is important to me.

The Delci sounds "right." And as I said earlier, the sound flowing into my ears and brain in the Delci never has caused me to wince or grimace once. No fatigue. Yet not muddy or too warm.

Super impressed.

Now for the Trio. If you like colder, more edgy sets like the EA500 LM or other Simgot offerings, you will like the tuning of the CCA Trio. I think the treble is too sharp and too hot at the UUUU switch setting. I changed it to UUDD, and that helped.

The Trio lacks refinement and note weight compared to the Delci. Its timbre sounds a bit thin and metallic to my ears, regardless of switch position.

In an earlier world, the Trio would be an easy recommendation. It sounds good. You'll really like it if you like that detailed, crisp Simgot sound, and the switches work. The included tips also work -- I didn't need to roll to third-party tips.

But I doubt I'm hopping on the Trio Train. Their timbre just doesn't work for me, especially when the lush, rich, fun Delci are sitting right next to me, calling me like a lusty girl in dimly lit bar with full lips coated in cherry-red lipstick.

Maybe more impressions to come!
I know I haven't been touting timbre as a strong suit of the Trio. As a matter of fact, I've said several times I wish the resolution and timbre were a bit better, but aside from that, with the switches, you can customize the Trio to be bassy or lean. Treble heavy or blunted. Bring up the mids? You can do it. If you're looking for a warm musical set, then there's about 100 different choices in that ballpark, including just about every Penon release known to man. You don't purchase the Trio if you're looking for one particular signature. You purchase it for it's capabilities while it provides you with an array of signatures to play with, but as a $30.00 ultra budget IEM, it has it's limitations. For myself, if I'm looking for warm and musical, i'm not reaching for the Trio. I'd be reaching for the OD200 or the Shangs, but they are much more expensive, and not something I personally pull out that often.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #99,264 of 100,215
I know I haven't been touting timbre as a strong suit of the Trio. As a matter of fact, I've said several times I wish the resolution and timbre were a bit better, but aside from that, with the switches, you can customize the Trio to be bassy or lean. Treble heavy or blunted. Bring up the mids? You can do it. If you're looking for a warm musical set, then there's about 100 different choices in that ballpark, including just about every Penon release known to man. You don't purchase the Trio if you're looking for one particular signature. You purchase it for it's capabilities while it provides you with an array of signatures to play with, but as a $30.00 ultra budget IEM, it has it's limitations. For myself, if I'm looking for warm and musical, i'm not reaching for the Trio. I'd be reaching for the OD200 or the Shangs, but they are much more expensive, and not something I personally pull out that often.
I'm trying the Trio to see if it offers a different signature that agreed with me and also to play with an IEM with switches. It doesn't quite agree with me. But that doesn't mean I won't stop trying slightly different tunings than my preferences. Like to keep my sonic options open! :)

But, yeah, the Trio is a solid set for $40. No question. But the Delci sounds borderline amazing to me with no switches and stock tips for just 20 bucks more, with very comfortable fit and far better and more plentiful accessories.

Easy choice. Different strokes, my man! :)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #99,268 of 100,215
I see the EA 500LM as a really significant improvement over the EW200, and they share similar genetics. The EA 500LM's sound relative to the EW200 (and indeed the Trio) is blessed with the ability to convey the feel of much more advanced hardware and tuning, which is to be expected given the price difference. Just as it can be reasonably argued that the EW200 and TRIO are among the top in their price range, so too can it be argued of the EA 500LM... I hope you will find their sound signature to your liking and enjoy a lot of good music with them.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #99,269 of 100,215
In regards to the Trio a lot of us have settled on UDUD for the switches as the sweet spot. I'd give it a few listens with that switch config too to see if you like it
Thanks for tip. Will give it a go! :)

UPDATE: Yep, this is the best combo I've tried so far for the Trio. Doesn't push it past the Delci for me, but this definitely sounds better! Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #99,270 of 100,215
This thread seems to help KZ sell more Trio than whatever their rep can do 😂

It should be noted that due to volume balancing trickery, this IEM has two tuning style. One has the bass sloping into the midrange, the other one is a distinct bass shelf aka ThieAudio / Crinacle / “well tuned”. Quite versatile.

35C59350-F778-43B7-B34F-8A33FA79075F.png

(In reality, it’s the whole region from 500Hz has been lifted when you turn on the last two switches)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back